Brandon has zero influence in draft

a little tidbit from Tim's chat yesterday (4/2)

so much for the negative nancys that claim Russ still makes the football decisions...

Now how about Ralph Wilson? I'm hoping that all of the decision-making ends up in the hands of the GM, because I just don't think it's been that way for a long while, whoever it is who has usurped authority.

How much did he have before?

Nobody really knows, but the way that Ralph Wilson and Modrak himself have admitted that Modrak was pulling for guys who never got drafted, combined with the fact that our drafts have been extremely poor in the first round when it's easier and really good late when it's much harder makes me think that our scouts have been consistently overruled in the early rounds.

Nobody really knows, but the way that Ralph Wilson and Modrak himself have admitted that Modrak was pulling for guys who never got drafted, combined with the fact that our drafts have been extremely poor in the first round when it's easier and really good late when it's much harder makes me think that our scouts have been consistently overruled in the early rounds.

Yeah, I think your right and hit on something here....I think of course that with the money being greater in the first few rounds I think the input is drastically greater in these rounds. I think rather it's Ralph directly or utilizing a organizational

puppet like Russ Brandon or whomever, but you can bet that there is a cost consideration involved in their decision as to

who they draft. I think if it's down to Clausen or Bulaga at #9 (not that they will be there) Ralph will "strongly" suggest Bulaga and again "suggest" they pick up a QB in the 3rd round. Although, Lossman disproves that theory somewhat I think the money of it matters to the Bills organization, and if they can get some guys a bit on the cheap they will....That is one of the reasons for our struggles....meaning they don't pay the big contract to keep their players: Jason Peters, Jabari Greer,

Nate Clements, Antwoine Winfield, Marcellus Wiley, Pat Williams etc.. etc...They figure it's cheaper to replace them if they

build a case for a big FA payday! The Bills don't want any part of that nor do they want a Sam Bradford which will break the bank. I think it would have taken more money to sign Bryan Orakapo DE over Aaron Maybin and that may have had some influence in their drafting a 4th or 5th best DE rather than taken the highest rated DE last year that fell right in their

lap in which they passed on!!! They always (bleep) me off on draft day and until proven otherwise I expect the same

from an organization in which history has continually repeated itself. :(

How much did he have before?

I think Ralph usually, this might have changed with Nix, does it semi-democratically with himself, the HC and GM all having a say in the decision. I'm sure if Ralph wanted to he could push his choice but I don't think he does that. I heard a rumor somewhere before that RW wanted Flutie instead of BS but acquiesced to his football men. I have no idea how true that is but RW doesn't strike me as a Dan Snyder or JJ type owner.

Thank God, he sucks ass as an attempt at a GM

Your evidence of this is what?

Yeah, I think your right and hit on something here....I think of course that with the money being greater in the first few rounds I think the input is drastically greater in these rounds. I think rather it's Ralph directly or utilizing a organizational

puppet like Russ Brandon or whomever, but you can bet that there is a cost consideration involved in their decision as to

who they draft. I think if it's down to Clausen or Bulaga at #9 (not that they will be there) Ralph will "strongly" suggest Bulaga and again "suggest" they pick up a QB in the 3rd round. Although, Lossman disproves that theory somewhat I think the money of it matters to the Bills organization, and if they can get some guys a bit on the cheap they will....That is one of the reasons for our struggles....meaning they don't pay the big contract to keep their players: Jason Peters, Jabari Greer,

Nate Clements, Antwoine Winfield, Marcellus Wiley, Pat Williams etc.. etc...They figure it's cheaper to replace them if they

build a case for a big FA payday! The Bills don't want any part of that nor do they want a Sam Bradford which will break the bank. I think it would have taken more money to sign Bryan Orakapo DE over Aaron Maybin and that may have had some influence in their drafting a 4th or 5th best DE rather than taken the highest rated DE last year that fell right in their

lap in which they passed on!!! They always (bleep) me off on draft day and until proven otherwise I expect the same

from an organization in which history has continually repeated itself. :(

Why would contract size matter to Ralph? He has to spend a set amount of money on players. If contracts enter into it then they enter into it the same way they do with other teams. JP doesn't disprove it somewhat he disproves it all. I don't understand why people think Ralph is cheap when it comes to players, his history proves otherwise. I think his administrations have tried to spend wisely. Unfortunately, it's dumb decisions and not money that are the teams woes.

BTW, how did signing Albert Haynesworth to that godawful contract last year help the (picking #4) Redskins last year?

I think Ralph usually, this might have changed with Nix, does it semi-democratically with himself, the HC and GM all having a say in the decision. I'm sure if Ralph wanted to he could push his choice but I don't think he does that. I heard a rumor somewhere before that RW wanted Flutie instead of BS but acquiesced to his football men. I have no idea how true that is but RW doesn't strike me as a Dan Snyder or JJ type owner.

Ralph DID want Flutie ... but he signed with the USFL that February, so we'll never know how that war-room battle would have turned out.

He liked him some Dwayne Wright, too. Who? Exactly.

Thank God, he sucks ass as an attempt at a GM

Aside from okaying the signing of T.O., I'm willing to bet Brandon had nothing to do with any drafts or free agency signings. Sorry. the blame is on Dick(less) Jauron and Ralphie.

PTR

Aside from okaying the signing of T.O., I'm willing to bet Brandon had nothing to do with any drafts or free agency signings. Sorry. the blame is on Dick(less) Jauron and Ralphie.

PTR

Agreed. From everything i have seen and read, Brandon knows his abilities and limits. He's probably best suited for his current post, where he can oversee the entire operation without having to micromanage each individual department. He'll put the people in place below him and let them do their jobs.

Of course, theres going to be a lot of unhappy posters with this comment by Tim Graham, because its taking away one of their favorite things to B word and whine about.

Still haven't seen anyone point to where this has been said en masse. If anything, most people have said Russ knew enough to get out of the way.

just do a search for Russ Brandon especially right around the time all the 'reporting' was going about the coaching/GM search.

Your evidence of this is what?

Ralph Wilson, Bills, and "semi-democratically" (whatever that is) are words I wouldn't use in a single sentence. Ralph has always wanted his way and generally got it. Aside from TD, when he had strong personnel experienced HC/GM types (Saban 2x, Knox, Polian, Butler) the team fared well. His track record is a lot of misses mixed with the aforementioned hits. RW may not be JJ or Snyder, but this offseason demonstrated the Bills can no longer attract quality HC/GM options. Perhaps they don't want them.

Ralph DID want Flutie ... but he signed with the USFL that February, so we'll never know how that war-room battle would have turned out.

Rumor had it RW wanted Lynch as well in 07 according to a January Pro Football Weekly article.

Problems Begin at Top-PFW 1-25-10

Granted, there wasn't much in the 4th when they took Wright, but still, an owner immersing himself in any round is troubling.

Thank God Flutie was gone. Can you imagine Flutie with Kelly coming back from the USFL? There's a QB controversy that would be unnecessary. Also, no four SB's without BS, JMO.

so much for the negative nancys that claim Russ still makes the football decisions...

Perhaps not directly but if you were a fly on the wall.

Ralph, " Hi Russell how are ticket sales going? "

Russ. "ticket sales could be better Mr. Wilson no Owens effect this year"

Ralph, "what is the problem son?"

Russ, "Mr Wilson we need a marque name"

Ralph "How can I get the biggest bang for my buck son?"

Russ, " Mr. Wilson i recommend that we trade for Donavan McNabb or draft that kid from Florida!"

Ralph " Not a problem son just get the numbers up!

Lori, I asked this question yesterday so does TBD owe me a royality for this thread.... And I was happy with Tims reply

Russ wass smart enough to know to get out of the way on draft day (I have to think).

Jauron probably had more say on players.

I think this too

Who the heck is saying that? :thumbsup:

A lot of people here say it all the time. things like "we have a marketing guy in charge of everything! we are a joke!" and so on....

Brandon has zero influence in draft

Just want to point out that your headline misrepresents what Tim and the questioner actually said. The questioner asked about Russ's influence WITH NIX, and Tim said none.

There is still quite a bit of doubt about whether Nix will have complete control in there, so this doesn't mean Russ has no influence.

Just sayin'.

Now how about Ralph Wilson? I'm hoping that all of the decision-making ends up in the hands of the GM, because I just don't think it's been that way for a long while, whoever it is who has usurped authority.

Well it's HIS team so I'm guessing as much as he wants. I know the answer stings but it's true.

Just want to point out that your headline misrepresents what Tim and the questioner actually said. The questioner asked about Russ's influence WITH NIX, and Tim said none.

There is still quite a bit of doubt about whether Nix will have complete control in there, so this doesn't mean Russ has no influence.

Just sayin'.

I get you, but here's my theorem...

Nix controls the draft, Brandon has no influence with Nix in the draft, therefore Brandon has no influence in the draft :thumbsup:

maybe I should have said little or no influence in the draft

perhaps GR8PRKN can offer their wisdom on the intent of the question and whether or not I captured the spirit, or went too far.

I get you, but here's my theorem...

Nix controls the draft, Brandon has no influence with Nix in the draft, therefore Brandon has no influence in the draft :thumbsup:

maybe I should have said little or no influence in the draft

perhaps GR8PRKN can offer their wisdom on the intent of the question and whether or not I captured the spirit, or went too far.

Ahhh I would say you captured it perfectly!!! That is what I wanted to know. And as we all know Ralph probably will have some say regardless.....

Thank God Flutie was gone. Can you imagine Flutie with Kelly coming back from the USFL? There's a QB controversy that would be unnecessary. Also, no four SB's without BS, JMO.

Wouldn't have been a problem. Kelly would've knocked that little punk out :thumbsup:

Actually, if you guys knew your USFL history, Kelly and Flutie damn close to playing on the same team. The league folded before they got the chance.

Backgound:

Before the leagues last year of play, Donald Trump, owner of the NJ Generals, drafted Flutie because he was convinced Doug was the missing piece for a championship team. (The Generals failed.)

When the season was over, the Houston Gamblers were going to fold. Trump bought the team with the intent to merge both teams (Gamblers and Generals) into one team using the General defense and the Gamblers offense.

The Gamblers were led by a 'gunslinger' named Jim Kelly running a full blown spread offense called the Run 'N Shoot.

Kelly's response to the merger (and the potential conflict of 2 'marquee' QBs) was along lines of couldn't wait to teach the other guy(s) the Run 'N Shoot offense.

Flutie responded with a remark of how Kelly thinks he is the starter, but he (Flutie) was going to win the starting job.

Personally, I would have loved to see that training camp go down.