Might be a early run on OT's in the draft

Maybe this has been tossed around earlier but I'm kinda scarred the top 4 OT will be gone by the time the Bills 9th pick.

Det.... Okung. Reason to protect Stafford, very understandable

Skins... Williams. Reason, to upgrade a line that's just as bad as the Bills

Chiefs... Bulaga.. Reason, to upgrade line now that Thomas Jones and Charles are in the backfield.

Oak....Davis.. Reason, Al Davis has a moment of clarity and does the right thing for once.

OK, now the Bills at 9 can draft Clausen, McClain or even Dez Bryant if this happens.

IMO, I think Clausen is the most common sense pick. But I think the Bills like Tebow more than they do Clausen at this point. Plus Tebow would be WAY cheaper than it would cost to sign a top ten QB.

Dez Bryant Would upgrade the WR core, but way to many questions but would be better than Hardy or Johnson? tough call

I would take McClain in a heartbeat. This would cover us in case Schobel hangs them up and at this point I think he does. Now you could have Maybin, Poz, McClain, Veek on Passing downs or Davis, Poz, McClain, Veek or even Kelsey on Run downs.

Hope I'm wrong cause we need a OT badly.

Maybe this has been tossed around earlier but I'm kinda scarred the top 4 OT will be gone by the time the Bills 9th pick.

Chiefs... Bulaga.. Reason, to upgrade line now that Thomas Jones and Charles are in the backfield.

Oak....Davis.. Reason, Al Davis has a moment of clarity and does the right thing for once.

OK, now the Bills at 9 can draft Clausen, McClain or even Dez Bryant if this happens.

IMO, I think Clausen is the most common sense pick. But I think the Bills like Tebow more than they do Clausen at this point. Plus Tebow would be WAY cheaper than it would cost to sign a top ten QB.

Dez Bryant Would upgrade the WR core, but way to many questions but would be better than Hardy or Johnson? tough call

I would take McClain in a heartbeat. This would cover us in case Schobel hangs them up and at this point I think he does. Now you could have Maybin, Poz, McClain, Veek on Passing downs or Davis, Poz, McClain, Veek or even Kelsey on Run downs.

How do you know Bryant would be better than Hardy Or Johnson you haven't seen them play enough to know .Plus from what i've heard of Bryant the questionables about him could be pretty scarey !!

You guys kill me. You think we MUST get a 'name' first round LT. Lets try this again...

The last 4 teams to play in the superbowl, you know that thing we want to win, did NOT have one of those LT's. Teams like Cleveland, Denver have probowl LT's but their QB's suck and they didn't even make the playoffs.

next, The stud LT in SanDiego is a SECOND round draft pick that was found by guess who? Buddy Nix.

Lastly, we took an undrafted TE and turned him into a top 15 LT in this league. If your scouting is good we can find a quality, starting LT in rounds 2-4.

And LT's are NOT as high a priority as QB is in this league anymore.

I would be happy with Clausen or Dan Williams. I believe both are talented enough to have long productive careers here. And each addresses a major need. While I would love a stud LT I think the last couple of SB's have proved you don't need a 1st round stud LT to be successful. It's all about the system. Arizona almost won with one of our cast offs ( Gandy) at LT. While a part of me would like to see what Brohm has to offer, with the benefit of OTA's and training camp, if Clausen is there, how do you pass on him?

Clausen, bryant, mcclain in that order. I'd prefer to trade down rather than draft mcclain. Dez Bryant is such a wildcard in this draft. The talent is there. He IS a player that we NEED. Sorry guy, but Johnson and Hardy are unlikely to develop into the player we need opposite Lee. I wish they were....

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them take Derrick Morgan no matter who's available. He's the top rated DE in the draft and was recruited by Gailey. He can be effective in the 3-4 as a DE or OLB, he's also a DE in a 4-3 alignment. I think the Bills will play both 3-4 and 4-3 in situations this year. The Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview pegs him as a top 15 pick. The NT and OT positions are the deepest in the draft so sitting back for a round for an OT isn't a big deal, JMO.

This is also a possibility, IMO, because as far as I know the Bills haven't mentioned him once.

You guys kill me. You think we MUST get a 'name' first round LT. Lets try this again...

The last 4 teams to play in the superbowl, you know that thing we want to win, did NOT have one of those LT's. Teams like Cleveland, Denver have probowl LT's but their QB's suck and they didn't even make the playoffs.

next, The stud LT in SanDiego is a SECOND round draft pick that was found by guess who? Buddy Nix.

Lastly, we took an undrafted TE and turned him into a top 15 LT in this league. If your scouting is good we can find a quality, starting LT in rounds 2-4.

while they are definitely a high priority, QB is THE #1 priority. If you don't agree, you REALLY don't know football in 2010

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them take Derrick Morgan no matter who's available. He's the top rated DE in the draft and was recruited by Gailey. He can be effective in the 3-4 as a DE or OLB, he's also a DE in a 4-3 alignment. I think the Bills will play both 3-4 and 4-3 in situations this year. The Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview pegs him as a top 15 pick. The NT and OT positions are the deepest in the draft so sitting back for a round for an OT isn't a big deal, JMO.

This is also a possibility, IMO, because as far as I know the Bills haven't mentioned him once.

Good post and I have seen some mocks in the past couple of day saying that Morgan could be the choice.

I would not be happy with this but its not out of the question.

Good post and I have seen some mocks in the past couple of day saying that Morgan could be the choice.

I would not be happy with this but its not out of the question.

I wouldn't mind at all. It isn't a position of dire need but a great DE is always a need unless a team has two BS's. A DE can disrupt an offense more than any other D player IMO.

I wouldn't mind at all. It isn't a position of dire need but a great DE is always a need unless a team has two BS's. A DE can disrupt an offense more than any other D player IMO.

If they do draft Morgan looks like your draft board might be dead on lol

I get your point, but at this point in time you would a agree that we do not have an nfl caliber left tackle on the roster?

Basically we will be starting a rookie or d bell.

these other teams did not draft a mid round pick and throw him into the starting line up week one

Hopefully down the road player development would be a strenght of the new staff rightn now we have a couple big holes to fill .

No doubt it would be nice to add him but ...........

They need a left tackle, actually they need two or three o lineman in order to run any kind on non pop warner offense

If they go into next season without O line upgrades it will be the same mess as this year.

Getting a de or olb would be nice but they did draft maybin last year, it would be nice to give him a year with the new staff before writing him completly off.

If they do draft Morgan looks like your draft board might be dead on lol

In all my years of mock drafting I've never hit one right. So I doubt it will happen. If I get one pick right I'll be surprised and if I hit on one draft pick after round 1 I'll be amazed. If I hit on one after the first round and it matches where I had him going I'll probably faint.

They need a left tackle, actually they need two or three o lineman in order to run any kind on non pop warner offense

If they go into next season without O line upgrades it will be the same mess as this year.

Getting a de or olb would be nice but they did draft maybin last year, it would be nice to give him a year with the new staff before writing him completly off.

JMO, if four of the OT's are gone and the Bills go with the best player available route then they may take him. Some can argue that the best player on the board then would be Spiller but gradewise I don't think they're that far off of each other.

It's also a player that has been with Gailey before and so Chansaw would know him very well. If they take him it will probably be with more information than most teams have on the kid.

Maybin is best suited at OLB IMO.

In all my years of mock drafting I've never hit one right. So I doubt it will happen. If I get one pick right I'll be surprised and if I hit on one draft pick after round 1 I'll be amazed. If I hit on one after the first round and it matches where I had him going I'll probably faint.

JMO, if four of the OT's are gone and the Bills go with the best player available route then they may take him. Some can argue that the best player on the board then would be Spiller but gradewise I don't think they're that far off of each other.

It's also a player that has been with Gailey before and so Chansaw would know him very well. If they take him it will probably be with more information than most teams have on the kid.

Maybin is best suited at OLB IMO.

As for morgan I have seen a 50/50 split on him olb/de

Most thing I read are that he is best suited for d.e in a 4/3

t

while they are definitely a high priority, QB is THE #1 priority. If you don't agree, you REALLY don't know football in 2010

no arugement there but do you have one they can get at this point in time

"IF"...and thats a big if.....if clausen is there at #9, you RUN to the podium and take him, even if one of the four stud LT's are still there.

WTF are you trying to say here? You're barely back and I can't keep up with all of your various positions.

trade up

trade down

tebow bad

tebow great

must draft lt

lt unimportant

This team has needs across the board. We must upgrade QB but there are only two options there, Bradford or Clausen. Any other QB taken before round 4 or 5 would be a waste and no better than the 3 stooges currently on the roster.

screw Tebow

screw Pike

screw whomever else you care to mention.

The Bills will take the best available at a position of need in Rd 1.

That is what they should do. That is what they will do.

Now...pick a position and stick with it.

I say you take Clausen if you feel he will be a franchise QB, or if you like him better then Tebow or McCoy and you believe you can get them with your second rounder (Which is what I can see them doing, take Best player available in round 1, take McCoy or Tebow in round 2, or trade up to get them if theres a chance they go sooner)

Spiller could be the pick if they don't think that the LTs available are the best choice and they feel Spiller will be an impact player on offence

Of course it's not as high a priority as QB. It never has been.

But as you well know, Pittsburgh got a championship with a bad LT, and had their QB's stuffings knocked out of him on a consistent basis. They were horrible the next year because they couldn't protect Roethlisberger. The lesson Pittsburgh teaches is this: you don't need a great LT as long as you have a QB as tough and injury-proof as Roethlisberger. But you'd better understand that even that guy can easily get screwed up by the pounding. Since there are no other Roethlisbergers in the pros, you're unlikely to be able to enjoy this loophole.

The Giants had a very solid LT, not one of the league's best, but a very solid guy when they won the Super Bowl.

The Colts won the Super Bowl with Tarik Glenn, very much a "name" tackle, and a first rounder.

Nobody is saying we have to have a name LT. We are saying that we need a damn good LT, which is true, and that by far the highest-percentage method of finding one of those is getting one in the first round, which is true. It's true of QBs and it's true of LTs. Now, if you have an OL that has been playing together for a while, in the same system, has a lot of continuity, you're much more likely to be able to fit in a guy who's not as great, and have him do a solid job. Does that sound like the situation in Buffalo?

Morgan's too small for a 3 - 4 DE, much too small. If we pick him, it will be for an OLB.

And personally, I think he's too big for that, and doesn't have enough pure speed. The pick isn't impossible, obviously, but I personally don't think he's a good fit in the new defense. And I wanted him badly and loudly before we switched from 4 - 3 to 3 - 4.

I could be wrong, clearly, but Morgan isn't an obvious natural fit in a 3 - 4.

None of the above. Derrick Morgan, Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham, or Dan Williams are all likelier choices.

My preference would be:

1. Derrick Morgan or Brandon Graham

2. trade to Baltimore for Jared Gaither

3. Cam Thomas or Linval Joseph

Give up on Gaither, man, the Ravens aren't going to trade him. Expect him to be on their roster, as the LT, for years.

If there is a run on offensive tackles that means that Buffalo will probably take the best NT that is on the board, which in that scenario is likely Dan Williams, or they trade back and hope to get one of the slightly lower graded T/Gs that are left in the draft, like a Iupati, while seizing picks in the second round. Buffalo will not take a skill position player at #9. There are too many needs, and frankly Dez Bryant isn't worth the #9 pick, and Clausen is overrated in my opinion.

That being said, I find this scenario rather unlikely given the needs of the teams you listed. Detroit is not going to take Okung, I don't think. They will go with Gerald McCoy or Ndamakung Suh. Okung's best first landing spot is Washington, who I believe is more likely to draft Clausen. However, if that happens, one of the top four tackles will still come to us, because between four and nine, there will be at least two teams not drafting tackle. Eric Berry will be taken in that group, and someone in that area is going to draft a DE. We should be able to get either Bulaga, Davis, or Trent Williams, who I don't think will go in the top five. Also consider the fact that the Raiders love to draft by the numbers, and that means they will likely draft Bruce Campbell, so that might free up two of the top five tackles for us to choose from.

However, supposing that your scenario pans out, I think the best bet is for Buffalo to take the best NT available. I think Dan Williams will be there at #9 and Buffalo should take him. If not, trade back and stockpile another second and/or third round pick, where we can get solid NFL ready guys at positions of need.

Assuming all three LTs are gone (no way the Bills would take Davis, IMHO, because Nix say he wants guys who have played well on the field, and Davis didn't play like a first-rounder), I'd say:

First, Clausen, but if he's gone,

Bradford, but if he's gone too,

Dan Williams, but if he's gone too (less likely, but possible),

Rolando McClain, but if he's gone too,

Kindle, maybe, though I wouldn't rule out Cody (I wouldn't like the pick that early, but if we rule out trade-downs, Cody would fill a huge need that would otherwise be a massive hole in the Bills lineup).

I had to dig deep for that last one. I like Kindle and Cody, but no way do I see Dan Williams and Rolando McClain both gone. Cody especially is a major reach at #9, though.

If there is a run on offensive tackles that means that Buffalo will probably take the best NT that is on the board, which in that scenario is likely Dan Williams, or they trade back and hope to get one of the slightly lower graded T/Gs that are left in the draft, like a Iupati, while seizing picks in the second round. Buffalo will not take a skill position player at #9. There are too many needs, and frankly Dez Bryant isn't worth the #9 pick, and Clausen is overrated in my opinion.

That being said, I find this scenario rather unlikely given the needs of the teams you listed. Detroit is not going to take Okung, I don't think. They will go with Gerald McCoy or Ndamakung Suh. Okung's best first landing spot is Washington, who I believe is more likely to draft Clausen. However, if that happens, one of the top four tackles will still come to us, because between four and nine, there will be at least two teams not drafting tackle. Eric Berry will be taken in that group, and someone in that area is going to draft a DE. We should be able to get either Bulaga, Davis, or Trent Williams, who I don't think will go in the top five. Also consider the fact that the Raiders love to draft by the numbers, and that means they will likely draft Bruce Campbell, so that might free up two of the top five tackles for us to choose from.

However, supposing that your scenario pans out, I think the best bet is for Buffalo to take the best NT available. I think Dan Williams will be there at #9 and Buffalo should take him. If not, trade back and stockpile another second and/or third round pick, where we can get solid NFL ready guys at positions of need.

I agree with you that all four being gone is unlikely, but Okung, Bulaga and Trent Williams being gone (and I suspect those are the only three the Bills would consider at #9) is fairly possible.

I agree with you that all four being gone is unlikely, but Okung, Bulaga and Trent Williams being gone (and I suspect those are the only three the Bills would consider at #9) is fairly possible.

Agreed, there is a fair possibility of that, but I have a feeling that Bulaga will be there for us at 9. If not, I'm with you and I think the most likely outcome is that we draft Dan Williams, which, despite the naysayers, would be a very good pick, even if it might be a slight reach. The guy was a beast in college and has the style of NT play that Edwards seems to like.

"IF"...and thats a big if.....if clausen is there at #9, you RUN to the podium and take him, even if one of the four stud LT's are still there.

And exactly what the qualities of this kid that would make you do that? Yes, a superb QB is what you need to get the SB, but is there a SB QB out there to be had this year? We're not going to the SB this year, even if Indy trades us Manning for an extra football. Get good lineman this year and work on skill players next year.

And exactly what the qualities of this kid that would make you do that? Yes, a superb QB is what you need to get the SB, but is there a SB QB out there to be had this year? We're not going to the SB this year, even if Indy trades us Manning for an extra football. Get good lineman this year and work on skill players next year.

He had 28 touchdowns (with only 4 INT), a 68.0% completion percentage, and 3722 yards in 2009 with Notre Dame. While Notre Dame as a team had a less than spectacular year, it had more to do with poor defense than it did with Clausen's effort. Unlike Bradford, Jimmy Clausen already has extensive experience with a pro-style offense. Of the two, Clausen is the most NFL ready quarterback, and his learning curve would be much smaller. he is just as accurate as Bradford.

debating QB vs LT is like deciding if your left or right arm is more important, they both are....but there are many more examples of teams doing well with pro bowl qb's with so-so LT's .... than there are pro bowl LT's with a so so QB.

No disagreement on the importance of QB vs. LT, but I don't see a QB worth picking that high (ie, one that will solve

the QB problems the Bills have). Some like Clausen, I don't like what I've read about him and I think it would be a

big big gamble to pick him at 9. QBs must have leadership/intangibles in addition to being physically good passers.

From what I've read, there is at least a significant question about Clausen's leadership and intangibles.

Too much risk for me, but that's just my opinion.

If there is a run on offensive tackles ...

I'd agree, but I am not a big Dan Williams fan and I don't think he will be a major impact player at NT in the NFL. He

was really only good for 1 year in college. His own coach said he'd be lucky to get drafted prior to last season. Big

risk on a guy who is mainly a run-plugger and not dominant at that.

NT is definitely a need, I just don't see the value of reaching for someone like Williams. Other's may disagree and

think Williams is worthy of such a high pick. If the Bills' scouts view him that highly, then it could be the pick.

but our offense SUCKS....don't you think fixing it should be our main priority?

In this scenario....

1 - Clausen.....folks i just dont get it....he is the SECOND BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT.....he plays in in a pro style offense....he has a strong arm......he is accurate.....he is an easy pick of the ot's are gone and he is still on the board

2 - trade for Gaither......we need an experienced left tackle and not throw D. Bell back into the fire again.

3 - Cam Thomas.....get our NT in the 3rd

4 - Best RT available

Give up on Gaither, man, the Ravens aren't going to trade him. Expect him to be on their roster, as the LT, for years.

In this scenario....

1 - Clausen.....folks i just dont get it....he is the SECOND BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT.....he plays in in a pro style offense....he has a strong arm......he is accurate.....he is an easy pick of the ot's are gone and he is still on the board

2 - trade for Gaither......we need an experienced left tackle and not throw D. Bell back into the fire again.

3 - Cam Thomas.....get our NT in the 3rd

4 - Best RT available

JH, haven't you heard? Thurman#1 has declared Gaither will NOT be traded.