Football Outsiders article on best/worst offensive linemen

But, but, but Peters made the Pro Bowl. :rolleyes:

He did despite coming back from groin surgery and dealing with injuries all year. But hey let's hold that against him. I hope you are as harsh when Eric Wood comes back from injury :thumbsup:

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :oops:

He did despite coming back from groin surgery and dealing with injuries all year. But hey let's hold that against him. I hope you are as harsh when Eric Wood comes back from injury :thumbsup:

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :oops:

In other words, he's an aging, fat, lazy, injury-prone slob who wins the ProBowl popularity contest every year because a lot of players who don't play against him and a lot more who are in NO position to grade offensive tackles (i.e., safeties, corners, etc.) remember his name and that he was real good a few years ago. :rolleyes:

(I'm surprised he actually showed up at the Pro Bowl this year - first time, no?)

He did despite coming back from groin surgery and dealing with injuries all year. But hey let's hold that against him. I hope you are as harsh when Eric Wood comes back from injury :rolleyes:

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :thumbsup:

Injury prone OL men aren't worth $10 million a year and Peters is an injury prone OL man. We'll have to see about Wood. My prediction for Peters last year was that he would get injured and miss games. He did. My prediction is he will miss more games due to injury in the next couple of years, probably in 2010. And then coming back from injury he won't be in the best shape and that will cause more problems for his team. The point is based on last year with Philly it is a good thing we did not sign JP to a long term, high money contract.

and i may have been one of the few people left in wny who didn't suit up and play alongside hangartner last season.

The article said that Hangman DID play all 16 games and gave them a "modicum of stability," and that he played between fill-ins (and rookies) and was often left against bigger players with little help. Peters didn't get any BOTD.

I remember all the abuse I took for wanting Birk. Look how he turned out

Birk only wanted to play for the Vikes or Ravens.

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :thumbsup:

I dont want to get into the Peters debate....but someone who gets that kind of contract should be able to pass protect as well......

just sayin

I don't think that Hangartner was a bad center at all this season. Keep in mind the guy was playing on a new team, with rookies next to him, and on a line that wasn't exactly very well conceived. I think with a good LT (1st round type talent) and more experience from Wood and Levitre, Hangartners play will rise.

Ranks Peters, Hangartner as the worst at their respective positions last year in terms of sacks allowed and missed blocks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654

But, but, but Peters made the Pro Bowl. :thumbsup:

''But, but, but, I thought Hangartner was good last season" - Majority of posters

In real life he stunk it up from day 1

Interesting that Freddy led all RB's with blown blocks, as well.

I recall getting flamed during the season for stating Lynch was much better in Blitz pick up. O how the tides have turned.... I think?

I don't think that Hangartner was a bad center at all this season. Keep in mind the guy was playing on a new team, with rookies next to him, and on a line that wasn't exactly very well conceived. I think with a good LT (1st round type talent) and more experience from Wood and Levitre, Hangartners play will rise.

I agree. He played well with a rotation of has beens and scrubs around him. Center will need an upgrade sometime, but that is far, far from our biggest need on the O line. He is a huge upgraded from the prior years.

This is meaningless.

The best LT had 2.5 blown pass blocks.

The worst had 11.

Given an average of 60 offensive snaps per game and about 30 pass plays (more, actually for Philly given their offensive system) this works out to 480 pass plays per season.

So the difference between the best and the worst is that the "best" blows blocks on 0.5% of plays and the "worst" blows blocks on 2.3% of plays.

Given the push certain players generate (or don't generate), I'd say the performance on plays where they don't "blow" blocks is a hell of a lot more important than how many blocks they blow during the course of the season.

Cut and pasted from Rotoworld:

Eagles LT Jason Peters graded as the worst at his position in 2009, according to Football Outsiders.

It's a crime that Peters made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Birds after signing a six-year, $60.657 million contract. He led the team in penalties with 11, allowed seven sacks and gave up four hurries. The Eagles sorely need Peters to improve his pass blocking no matter who is under center.

Not sure how so many people on TBD still complain that the Bills got rid of this overrated tackle. His last year in Buffalo he led the league in sacks given up, and by no small margin either. Not worth half of the money he wanted from us or got from Philly.

Ranks Peters, Hangartner as the worst at their respective positions last year in terms of sacks allowed and missed blocks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654

Not surprising considering they both are terrible at thier positions. Hangartner was lost in Buffalo last year, had trouble getting the ball to the QB and unless you compare him to Peters, he was a penalty machine. Peters just plain is overrated and overpaid, just like he was the last year in Buffalo.

Not surprising considering they both are terrible at thier positions. Hangartner was lost in Buffalo last year, had trouble getting the ball to the QB and unless you compare him to Peters, he was a penalty machine. Peters just plain is overrated and overpaid, just like he was the last year in Buffalo.

Love him or hate him and a lot can be said about him, but Peters, no matter how you slice it was a bargain at LT since he was moved there from RT in '06.

GO BILLS!!!