Anyone else getting excited about our D?

Virgil

With the two recent pickups we made at DE and ILB, I'm starting to get excited about our Defense. First off, I think we are going to be a run and pass stopping D with incredible depth. The only concern I see is pass rush, but I think that's a solid 50/50 chance of being a strength.

Think about our line. If we get a big DT in the draft to clog up the middle, we have Edwards on one side and Stroud on the other. Then, we have Williams as our pass rushing DE. In either case, that is a HUGE D-Line that will be very difficult for most O-Lines to handle. The fact that Williams is our depth is just incredible to me.

For our linebackers, I'm very happy with Poz and Davis in the middle. Then, unless injuries hit us, Mitchell should be more than solid as an OLB. Then, you have your choice of Schobel, Kelsay, or Maybin on the other side. The depth at LB just became very good. Add a few late picks for depth at ILB, and this unit is also strong.

Lastly, we all know how our corners are. These guys are just stellar for us and it's the only thing we can thank DJ for. Safety play, we all love Byrd and we have a solid rotation of 3 guys who can play SS.

End of the day, this D can be very dominant. So dominant that I think it will swing us about 2-3 games to wins for us next year.

With that, I think I would love to see the Bills take Dan Williams at the number 9 pick. This is someone who people have the dolphins taking at 12, and that is the D we are emulating. So, taking the guy 3 picks to soon, isn't that much of a reach for me. Especially if this guy can address our biggest hole on D and complete the unit.

We take Williams at 9, or maybe if we trade up in the 2nd for Cody, we are good. Use that 1 pick for that, maybe 2 picks later on LB's, and the remaining 4 can go to the O-Line, hopefully a WR in there somewhere.

I know this doesnt' give us the offense we want, but if we can emulate a Dilfer-Style Offense, I think this D could handle the rest.

OLB and NT are still a big concern, as is their ability as a whole to adjust to a new defense. But I like the way it is headed. If we can find a decent NT, I'll feel a lot better.

The most important parts of this 3-4 are NT and rushing OLB's. And right now, they don't have a big guy in the middle to make this defense what teams like PIT, NE, NYJ, et al function.

Second, the OLB's on the roster have never played the position. Fans expecting Schobel to make the transition (should he remain) ought to pay attention to what happened to Aaron Kampman. Certainly not the same player, but both were older vets going from a 34 to a 43. Maybin isn't a given, because he's, well, Maybin.

Things look better on paper, but this time of year everyone gets themselves amped up.

I think another thing you can take into account is the addition of George Edwards. He's highly respected in the football world by coaches and players alike and has a reputation for being able to tailor his defenses to the talent available. I didn't mind Fewell, but his biggest weakness was that he was very predictable; that is not likely to be an issue with Coach Edwards.

I'm not going to get too excited yet, but we definitely look a lot better on paper. And if Nix can find a way to get a legitimate NFL Nose onto the roster, this squad will have the potential to create a lot of problems for opponents regularly looking at 2nd/9 or 3rd/7.

The Dilfer offense works when you have Ray Lewis, Rod Woodson, Chris McAllister, Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa on your defense.

The Bills don't have anywhere close to that on theirs. Mitchell as an OLB in a 3-4 is a liability. If this defense is serious about improving, Mitchell should rotate with Davis at one ILB spot with Mitchell playing passing downs and Davis playing rushing downs...and let Schobel, Maybin and potentially a draft pick tackle the OLB spot.

I am excited about the new defense...only because I truly believe we will at least be more ACTIVE with the front seven in this scheme...that being said, there are a few issues to be addressed...

OLB for example is so far up in the air I can barely even see it...Shobel = Kampman...Maybin is a ????...I believe Veek could play OLB because of his great pass rushing ability...but what about the other OLB?...it's completely up in the air...I don't believe we have the pass rusher on our roster that can play OLB...maybe Maybin, but he looked no only to weak to play DE but confused...THAT is what scares me...if DE in a 4-3 confuses him...how about OLB in a 3-4...there is more to the position...I hope that he can do it...he's got the explosive speed, but what else????...he hasn't shown good awareness and he hasn't shown ANY good pash rushing moves...okay, I don't believe Shobel makes the transition, but he's a worker and I think maybe he could pull it off better than Maybin...and that's only IF he decides to come back...

Then we have the D-Line...we don't have a NT...everyone can say what they want about who can play there...but to be a dominant 3-4 you need a big nasty mean NT...all of our DT's could play DE...so, we will need to draft a beast and possibly a dominant OLB or bring Porter in...if not...we have questions....

We have a great secondary and they will be fine and probably thrive because even with all our questions in the front seven they should produce more pressure than last year and be a little better at stopping the run...

It isn't hard improving a Run defense that was 30th in the league last year...so we should be better this year regardless of what happens...but I am a excited...because it's a step in the right direction...

The Dilfer offense works when you have Ray Lewis, Rod Woodson, Chris McAllister, Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa on your defense.

The Bills don't have anywhere close to that on theirs. Mitchell as an OLB in a 3-4 is a liability. If this defense is serious about improving, Mitchell should rotate with Davis at one ILB spot with Mitchell playing passing downs and Davis playing rushing downs...and let Schobel, Maybin and potentially a draft pick tackle the OLB spot.

You're absolutely right, especially regarding Davis and Mitchell. To rotate those two the way you say would be ideal. Mitchell is a great blitzer and could be a huge asset if used properly. Davis is the run-stuffer.

You're absolutely right, especially regarding Davis and Mitchell. To rotate those two the way you say would be ideal. Mitchell is a great blitzer and could be a huge asset if used properly. Davis is the run-stuffer.

I disagree that Veek is a liability at OLB...the guy has pash rushing skills...in an aggressive defense run in NY he was killing QB's...he just never got the chance here with the conservative defense we ran...he gets off blocks very well...and his speed is no where near as bad as people are saying...I beleive Shobel is a bigger liability at OLB than Veek...Maybin could be a liability anywhere considering his awareness last year

I'm not at all excited about the current personnel and I am skeptical about George Edwards as a coordinator, but I am glad to be returning to a 3-4. The 3-4 is just so much easier to stock with players, much easier to maintain financially and is a more flexible and disruptive scheme. It would have been more advantageous if the switch was made in prior years, before everyone started running it, but still it's a better long term approach.

quite possibly will happen like that, Davis seemed to get worn down a bit last yr towards end of season. Think they have to pace him a little. But, nice to have him!

get rid of kelsay and sign a backup nt

we have backup NTs- K Williams, Lonnie Harvey & Favorite

I just told a good friend of mine at work today that my optimism was growing about our D with the siging of Davis and Edwards. Here's a couple of guys I'd like to see us pick up for the defense in the draft:

Round 2: Terrence Cody / NT / Alabama

Round 3: Ricky Sapp / OLB / Clemson

Round 4: Mike Neal / DE / Purdue

Round 5: Donald Butler / ILB / Washington (did some research on the guy and good call bandit :rolleyes: )

The rest of the picks I would like see go to the OL. Take the best OT available in the 1st, please no Trent Williams, and then take the best OL player available the rest of the way out.

quite possibly will happen like that, Davis seemed to get worn down a bit last yr towards end of season. Think they have to pace him a little. But, nice to have him!

we have backup NTs- K Williams, Lonnie Harvey & Favorite

none of them have done anything in a 3-4

With the two recent pickups we made at DE and ILB, I'm starting to get excited about our Defense. First off, I think we are going to be a run and pass stopping D with incredible depth. The only concern I see is pass rush, but I think that's a solid 50/50 chance of being a strength.

Think about our line. If we get a big DT in the draft to clog up the middle, we have Edwards on one side and Stroud on the other. Then, we have Williams as our pass rushing DE. In either case, that is a HUGE D-Line that will be very difficult for most O-Lines to handle. The fact that Williams is our depth is just incredible to me.

For our linebackers, I'm very happy with Poz and Davis in the middle. Then, unless injuries hit us, Mitchell should be more than solid as an OLB. Then, you have your choice of Schobel, Kelsay, or Maybin on the other side. The depth at LB just became very good. Add a few late picks for depth at ILB, and this unit is also strong.

Lastly, we all know how our corners are. These guys are just stellar for us and it's the only thing we can thank DJ for. Safety play, we all love Byrd and we have a solid rotation of 3 guys who can play SS.

End of the day, this D can be very dominant. So dominant that I think it will swing us about 2-3 games to wins for us next year.

With that, I think I would love to see the Bills take Dan Williams at the number 9 pick. This is someone who people have the dolphins taking at 12, and that is the D we are emulating. So, taking the guy 3 picks to soon, isn't that much of a reach for me. Especially if this guy can address our biggest hole on D and complete the unit.

We take Williams at 9, or maybe if we trade up in the 2nd for Cody, we are good. Use that 1 pick for that, maybe 2 picks later on LB's, and the remaining 4 can go to the O-Line, hopefully a WR in there somewhere.

I know this doesnt' give us the offense we want, but if we can emulate a Dilfer-Style Offense, I think this D could handle the rest.

I think if we can add that big NT, then depth at all the lb spots we should be ready to roll

Does anyone realize the reason our secondary was "so good" last year was because teams could run at will against us? Who cares if we give up 120 yards passing if teams can run for 350 against us.

Look for a decline in passing stats this year if the front 3 do a decent job slowing up the run.