Dwan Edwards signs w/ Bills

Kingfish

Then the Bills better start signing some OLBs ASAP because once Schobel retires, I don't see anyone on the roster at any position who can get 9 or 10 sacks.

I agree with you, but I'd like to see the Bills draft an OLB. Before anyone mentions his name, I'm not a big Joey Porter fan, so I'd rather go young at OLB.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through this thread, and i must say, i went cross eyed about half way through, massive confusion happened in a 5 hour span.

Thank you inter-web :doh:

It was definitely an entertaining read. It just goes to show how screwed up rumors and reporting have become thanks to the internet.

iceman - you may be right.

but, as reported, they reached "an agreement" - not sure what that means - if it's true then no contract yet for sure - but perhaps a verval agreement that will manifest itself in the next day or two - either way - the fo is doing just what they said they would do - keep the faith iceman

either way we win - there will be a media type that doesnt have a clue about this particular bit of "insider" info - hehehehe

Confirmed.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...with_bills.html

Pat Moran only plays journalist.

Absolutely, one of the most annoying fake "journalists" out there. Constantly whining like a 2-year old, all he does is hit the refresh button on theredzone.org and profootballtalk.com and posts it to his site as "breaking news" under his name.

Guy has negative credibility in my books.

Regardless of your opinion of Pat Moran, he was the only one (besides Schefter of course) who understood what was really happening. He actually talked to Schefter, got the straight scoop and reported it correctly. Some of the more professional journalists didn't read Schefter's tweet for what it was and misrepresented the story. I'd say Pat Moran gets kudos for this one. :doh:

Some of the more professional journalists didn't read Schefter's tweet for what it was and misrepresented the story.

if you say so.

jw

ADD: is it possible that there were conflicting reports because professional journalists were actually doing their jobs?

ADD2: and in no way am i saying ESPN wasn't doing their job. all i'm saying is that the people i spoke to said no deal was agreed to. should i then have made something up?

well, we're bringing in some 3-4 role players to help out with this transition. I don't think Edwards is that big of health concern since he played the entire season in 2009 only a season removed from his injury. His neck should be stronger now than before.

Then the Bills better start signing some OLBs ASAP because once Schobel retires, I don't see anyone on the roster at any position who can get 9 or 10 sacks.

The only guy is Porter. More likely it will be Maybin getting the first shot, and possibly a 3rd or 4th round rookie tweener/undersized/converted college DE.

if you say so.

jw

ADD: is it possible that there were conflicting reports because professional journalists were actually doing their jobs?

ADD2: and in no way am i saying ESPN wasn't doing their job. all i'm saying is that the people i spoke to said no deal was agreed to. should i then have made something up?

Seems to me like all of this was a semantics argument, and both sides were right all of the time. Schefter could easily have received word from Edwards or his agent or someone very close to the negotiations that said "an agreement has been reached. This is a done deal." They could easily been haggling over how much of the 18 million comes in the first two years versus the first three years, or something like that, and you know full well things like that can get touchy and both sides can get stubborn. So someone else could be telling you, "Look, there is no done deal. There is no official agreement. They are still negotiating." And both sides could be right.

The problem all along was the word "agreement".

It was definitely an entertaining read. It just goes to show how screwed up rumors and reporting have become thanks to the internet.

Amen. The profession is going downhill as fast as any other out there. The way they all scramble to report on a rumor posted anywhere on the net is really getting annoying for people trying to find out correct information. The best advice is to try to be patient and let all the rumoring internet "journalists" and print "journalists" scramble to get the story right. Like anyone seriously cares who breaks the story. Really, does anyone seriously care who breaks it first? It's then on 5 million websites within minutes anyway. It's like TV stations thinking that the announcing crew draws in viewers. They actually don't. People watch, because it's football.

Shefter was dead on in what he posted on Twitter. He's in his job for a reason. His connections are great, and he posted about the Bills with strong confidence last night. It's a shame though, because it's even hard to trust guys like Shefter anymore, because of how bad the internet has made things.

Best advice, even though it's hard as crap to do because we are hooked to our football team, is be patient, let time pass, and let it confirm through numbers of people.

The most annoying part however, is that it doesn't seem like Buffalo has any journalists with any kind of inside info about the Bills. There isnt' a go to guy out there in the Buffalo area. I also put the blame squarely on the Bills, for being one of the most hard to work with teams in the NFL (media wise). Oh well.

Patience Grasshopper. As hard as it is, we all need patience these days to let all of the internet "sources" battle out every rumor/signing/agreement out there.

if you say so.

jw

I didn't mean you at all. You reported it accurately from beginning to end. Schefter said "reached agreement" and it was reported as "signed" by some. I was referring to people like Ed Kilgore, WGR, and Gregg Rosenthal from PFT that posted stories with titles like Bills Sign DE Dwan Edwards 13 hours ago.

Absolutely. If this was 2000, not only was there no Twitter, but Adam Schefter's editor at the Denver Post would have been telling him, "We can't run this until you get a second source to confirm it." The day Buddy Nix was promoted to GM, Mark Gaughan and John Murphy both had it an hour before the PC, but Channel 4 "broke" it because the sourcing wasn't yet good enough to get past The News' editorial policy.

rumors and reporting have always been at odds in this business. the freer flow of information in this modern age merely makes it more apparent.

for me and many of my respected colleagues, i think we'd all agree we'd rather be right than first.

jw