music city miracle on NFL channel

For the first time since the actual game I watched the Bills/Tenn. game and had some thoughts.

1. From the get go both starting offensive tackles for the Bills were hurt and Johnson was running for his life. There were three of four actual sacks early in the game. Reinforced my belief that without a good offensive line anchored by quality tackles you are going to have a heck of a time trying to establish a passing game.

2. We probably should have run more. Thomas was still Thomas and Antowain Smith would have been more effective with more carries.

3. I can see why we fired DeHaven.

4. Not to stir up old wounds, and admitting that Johnson didn't play a bad game given what little protection he had, but I think we'd have been better off with the more mobile Flutie and his style of play in that game.

5. Goes without saying....the throwback was a forward pass and should have been called back.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time since the actual game I watched the Bills/Tenn. game and had some thoughts.

1. From the get go both starting offensive tackles for the Bills were hurt and Johnson was running for his life. There were three of four actual sacks early in the game. Reinforced my belief that without a good offensive line anchored by quality tackles you are going to have a heck of a time trying to establish a passing game.

2. We probably should have run more. Thomas was still Thomas and Antowain Smith would have been more effective with more carries.

4. Not to stir up old wounds, and admitting that Johnson didn't play a bad game given what little protection he had, but I think we'd have been better off with the more mobile Flutie and his style of play in that game.

5. Goes without saying....the throwback was a forward pass and should have been called back.

IIRC, Antowain Smith was having a great game...that huge run he ran off, early in the second half, for a TD, was one of those plays that I thought, at the time, would be forever etched in my mind as a great moment in the history of the Buffalo Bills...

I had a different perspective of that game. I remember I had to work the day it was played (I hate Saturday afternoon playoff games). Living in the middle of Texas, and being a huge Bills fan, it is hard to hide. I was recording the game, to watch when I got home...being the boss, everyone knew, "do not even mention the Bills game to him today"...everything was going great...I had worked a "clopen" shift (closed the joint down the night before, back early the next morning to open) and I was pretty exhausted. But I was amped to watch the Bills game. As I was leaving the store (a record store I mananged) a mentally challenged security guard we had working with us said "all right, your Bills did it, they won!"...

I was pissed....he had blown the game for me...oh well, I thought, at least they won...I was still going to watch it, no matter what, but knowing the outcome, A WIN, took some of the urgency out for me....so I went home, took a nap. I got up, cooked some wings, and my girlfriend and I started watching the game around 10:30pm... I didn't tell my girl I knew that the Bills had won (she would have not wanted me to watch, she doesn't get it...)...

As the game wore on, I just kept smiling to myself thinking, "how the hell are they going to win this thing"...so hours later, about 1am, the infamous play happens...my gf is freaking out, but, like Wade Phillips on the tv screen, I just kind of smiled, and said, "ah..don't worry, that isn't going to count...illegal pass"....as the minutes (seemed like hours) passed as they reviewed the play, I was kind of happy, cleaning up the table, getting rid of empties...then I hear my gf shriek "Oh no...they lost!" I go back to the tv, and could not believe what I was hearing, or seeing...I had watched the whole friggin' game, sure that they Bills had won...but, they didn't.... I immediately went to work on Monday a fired the security guard!

Not really on that last thing! :rolleyes:

Give me a break, Johnson left the field with the lead and only 16 seconds to go in the game.

I caught a bit of it too (I remember the end so I stopped before I got that far); RJ was definitely running for his life, it feels like times haven't changed since then! That first drop back to crushing sack became an all too familiar habit for Rob...

Hard to believe we had the number 1 D that year, won 10 games with Flutie, yet Wade went with RJ. We really got RJ'ed on that one. I wasn't super opposed to the move at the time, but looking back Dougie would have had a better shot of winning that one. You don't base a qb start on the final game of the season no matter how much he lights it up.

IIRC, Antowain Smith was having a great game...that huge run he ran off, early in the second half, for a TD, was one of those plays that I thought, at the time, would be forever etched in my mind as a great moment in the history of the Buffalo Bills...

I had a different perspective of that game. I remember I had to work the day it was played (I hate Saturday afternoon playoff games). Living in the middle of Texas, and being a huge Bills fan, it is hard to hide. I was recording the game, to watch when I got home...being the boss, everyone knew, "do not even mention the Bills game to him today"...everything was going great...I had worked a "clopen" shift (closed the joint down the night before, back early the next morning to open) and I was pretty exhausted. But I was amped to watch the Bills game. As I was leaving the store (a record store I mananged) a mentally challenged security guard we had working with us said "all right, your Bills did it, they won!"...

I was pissed....he had blown the game for me...oh well, I thought, at least they won...I was still going to watch it, no matter what, but knowing the outcome, A WIN, took some of the urgency out for me....so I went home, took a nap. I got up, cooked some wings, and my girlfriend and I started watching the game around 10:30pm... I didn't tell my girl I knew that the Bills had won (she would have not wanted me to watch, she doesn't get it...)...

As the game wore on, I just kept smiling to myself thinking, "how the hell are they going to win this thing"...so hours later, about 1am, the infamous play happens...my gf is freaking out, but, like Wade Phillips on the tv screen, I just kind of smiled, and said, "ah..don't worry, that isn't going to count...illegal pass"....as the minutes (seemed like hours) passed as they reviewed the play, I was kind of happy, cleaning up the table, getting rid of empties...then I hear my gf shriek "Oh no...they lost!" I go back to the tv, and could not believe what I was hearing, or seeing...I had watched the whole friggin' game, sure that they Bills had won...but, they didn't.... I immediately went to work on Monday a fired the security guard!

haha

could that happen to anyone but a bills fan??? great story

So I just moved my office at work and the new office has an old poster up on the wall of Adelphia Coliseum. Kinda found it funny that I a Bills fan have a poster up of the stadium where it all went down at.

Adelphia Coliseum

Not sure what to do with it.

Reason it is there is because, I grew up in the same town that Adelphia was born and now work for a company that was a spin off of Adelphia then subsequently bought by Level 3 Communications.

I have a dream that one of these days when I watch that the refs are going to do the right thing and reverse the illegal forward pass (and make the correct call on that first down pass to Price).

Sometimes I wonder how our fortunes would have changed if we had "officially" won that game.

Best Bils fan story ever!

I have a dream that one of these days when I watch that the refs are going to do the right thing and reverse the illegal forward pass (and make the correct call on that first down pass to Price).

Sometimes I wonder how our fortunes would have changed if we had "officially" won that game.

I should mention that I have a similar dream about "NO Goal" (which coincidentally, the NHL Network replayed the other day).

Watched the game as well and what stuck out for me was the Bill's defensive. Big, strong, aggressive, tackled well. They were good and they knew it. Announcers claimed the linebackers group was the best in football. Washington in the middle. Fun to see.

not only do i remember exactly where i was, i remember exactly where i was sitting as well as what i did and felt when it happened

Man, me too. Unfortunately, my entire body goes into that mode whenever they have a lead less than 14 points with 2 minutes or less left in the game. This one was a ball buster for sure.

"And the Bills lose a heartbreaker..."

I was watching the NFLN last weekend and they had a show on called the top ten worst officiating calls in NFL history. The MCM was number 3 I believe.

Actually it was top 10 controversial not worst.

Theres a difference.

I watched the game last night too...Boy did it bring back some bad memories. And it seemed that the announcers were foreshadowing events...like right before the Bills kick off at the end they go "just don't squibb kick it!" and guess what we do?