Is there a plan besides reducing payroll?

Chuckknox

Getting rid of the excess/underachievers/odd men out due to system changes at this point is a good sign. Indicates to me they know what they want, need, and doesn't currently fit.

Gotta go 'out with the old' before 'in with the new'.

Riiiiigghhtttt...because The Wall wouldn't implode if we re-signed Ryan Denney...a player who doesn't fit the new system in any way and has been painfully average his entire career.

Denney is the same guy that people here were giving virtual fallatio to Tom Donahoe over for trading up and nabbing just before the Steelers, who were and are a 3-4 defense, could draft.

Denney is the same guy that people here were giving virtual fallatio to Tom Donahoe over for trading up and nabbing just before the Steelers, who were and are a 3-4 defense, could draft.

Yes, and he wasn't overpaid IMHO. Kelsay on the other hand was given an outrageous contract and he wasn't a nickel's worth better a DE than Denny IMV.

Getting rid of the excess/underachievers/odd men out due to system changes at this point is a good sign. Indicates to me they know what they want, need, and doesn't currently fit.

Gotta go 'out with the old' before 'in with the new'.

you can add Schobel, Kelsey, Stroud and Whitner to the overpaid and underperformers who will be cut loose to slash costs.

Payroll will be cut to around $75 mil with no minimum in 2010 as Ralph builds his war chest.

The payroll purge started last year with the gutting of costs on the OL (dockery, Peters, Walker) with nothing spent to replace them. Starting an injured 7th rounder at LT and bringing back a guy so bad the Bills cut him to start at RT is an indication of the kind of commitment you will see in 2010 to replace the bloated contracts cut loose.

With a lockout coming in 2011, don't expect any good free agents to be brought in.

Gailey and his teachers were brought in to coach the young, cheap (and not very good) players that will populate this team in 2010. Nix better not miss on any draft picks this year.

Yes, and he wasn't overpaid IMHO. Kelsay on the other hand was given an outrageous contract and he wasn't a nickel's worth better a DE than Denny IMV.

......to this, I couldn't agree more.

Denney at least understood how to defend the run game, much better than Kelsay, and given his snaps vs. those Kelsay

had, I'd say he was more effective pass rusher as well.

Kelsy is the the overpaid mediocre DE on The Bills that needed to go.....

I gotta ask - why do people care about what players are paid when making an evaluation of them? It's completely irrelevant given the Bills cap situation. They're way under it, and have been so for years.

While the Bills may be way under the cap, the reality is that they are one of the low-revenue teams and they

have a budget that they can/are willing to spend. Letting some older higher-paid players go frees up money

that they can spend elsewhere. Just because the Bills are allowed to spend up to the cap, doesn't mean that

they have the money to actually be able to afford that much.

That being said, the FA crop is very weak this year (IMHO) due to many many players being restricted

who would have been unrestricted had there been a collective bargaining agreement reached. I do not expect

the Bills to be able to compete for the very few high-end FAs. Given what is available as unrestricted FAs, I

wouldn't count on the Bills being able to find much besides hopefully serviceable players - no stars in FA

this year.

While I am at it, I thought that Ryan Denney was a pretty good backup DE. He certainly didn't embarrass

himself when he was on the field. However, he is 33 and this is probably the end of the line for him.

step 2 is to use that saved money to bribe the refs.

Taking a page from the Pats*' playbook, eh?

(Not quite sure if the apostrophe goes before or after the asterisk--any Pats* fans want to enlighten me on that rule of spelling?)

I gotta ask - why do people care about what players are paid when making an evaluation of them? It's completely irrelevant given the Bills cap situation. They're way under it, and have been so for years.

And the corollary to that is it isn't the player's decision to be given the contract the Bills gave him.

?

I agree! Why the hell haven't the Bills figured out how to draft players before the draft starts, and sign FAs before FA starts? They suck!

Great post, BTW.