In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King

The Dean

Sure, this saying seems appropriate for the everyday experiences many of us have. Just today I was in a group of uber Luddites and I was regaled for being able to program contacts to a cell phone. (Yes it was that bad.) I deflected the accolades by repeating the well known saying, "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King!". Certainly there are those among us who have been in that position ("I know a little about this. But compared to these people, I am a freaking genius!").

Anyway, earlier today it occurred to me right after I spoke those fated words ("In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King.") that they were likely complete bull ****. I mean, think about it.

In the "Land of the Blind" the One-Eyed Man would be a freak, at best. Once he started babbling about "colors" and such, he probably would be locked up in an insane asylum.

Suppose the One-Eyed Man was born to the Royal Family. Do you really think they would talk about this character in public? Please.

I guess the One-Eyed Man could attempt to show he had a special sense by observing objects before his Blind companions discovered them. But I'm sure some Blind Amazing Randi would point out that he was there earlier and knew the objects were there. Or perhaps he conspired with another Blind man who was there with them and let him know what was ahead. I mean, they're blind. How would they know if he was cheating?

Anyway, I suppose it is possible "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King". But I think it is far more likely "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is Stoned to Death".

Sure, this saying seems appropriate for the everyday experiences many of us have. Just today I was in a group of uber Luddites and I was regaled for being able to program contacts to a cell phone. (Yes it was that bad.) I deflected the accolades by repeating the well known saying, "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King!". Certainly there are those among us who have been in that position ("I know a little about this. But compared to these people, I am a freaking genius!").

Anyway, earlier today it occurred to me right after I spoke those fated words ("In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King.") that they were likely complete bull ****. I mean, think about it.

In the "Land of the Blind" the One-Eyed Man would be a freak, at best. Once he started babbling about "colors" and such, he probably would be locked up in an insane asylum.

Suppose the One-Eyed Man was born to the Royal Family. Do you really think they would talk about this character in public? Please.

I guess the One-Eyed Man could attempt to show he had a special sense by observing objects before his Blind companions discovered them. But I'm sure some Blind Amazing Randi would point out that he was there earlier and knew the objects were there. Or perhaps he conspired with another Blind man who was there with them and let him know what was ahead. I mean, they're blind. How would they know if he was cheating?

Anyway, I suppose it is possible "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King". But I think it is far more likely "In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is Stoned to Death".

I've said for years: in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man gets the living **** kicked out of him for being an arrogant know-it-all.

This kinda got me thinking of the old The Twilight Zone episode:

The Eye of the Beholder

Just today I was in a group of uber Luddites and I was regaled for being able to program contacts to a cell phone.

Was I there? I guess I am a Luddite :devil: . Its my kids job to program my cell phone. What the hells a Luddite?????

No, the one eyed man would definitely be king. He could stab anyone who disagrees with him to death even before they don't see him coming. JMO

Stoned to death? That's crazy. I mean, they're blind. How are they going to know where to throw the stones? There would be stones flying everywhere. In fact, probably a handful of the blind would be stoned to death by accident, while the one-eyed dude was hiding safely behind a tree.

And Doc is right, maybe they had a huge outbreak of syphilis? Or perhaps an epidemic of insatiable masturbation?

Stoned to death? That's crazy. I mean, they're blind. How are they going to know where to throw the stones? There would be stones flying everywhere. In fact, probably a handful of the blind would be stoned to death by accident, while the one-eyed dude was hiding safely behind a tree.

And Doc is right, maybe they had a huge outbreak of syphilis? Or perhaps an epidemic of insatiable masturbation?

Regarding the stoning you are likely correct. "Pummeled to death" is more likely. Although, if you have enough blind men throwing stones, who knows what can happen? :unsure: Of course, you don't have to throw the stones to stone someone to death. You can pummel them with the stones in your hand. But I digress...

As for Doc's take, OK I will concede that angle. But this Land of the Blind isn't really a subset of the Land, it's the whole Land, AKA World/Universe/Etc. A One-Eyed Man, in this scenario is the aberration who is born with a sense the others cannot even fathom.

As for Doc's take, OK I will concede that angle. But this Land of the Blind isn't really a subset of the Land, it's the whole Land, AKA World/Universe/Etc. A One-Eyed Man, in this scenario is the aberration who is born with a sense the others cannot even fathom.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stuck in a cheesy M. Knight Shyamalan movie.

Regarding the stoning you are likely correct. "Pummeled to death" is more likely. Although, if you have enough blind men throwing stones, who knows what can happen? :unsure: Of course, you don't have to throw the stones to stone someone to death. You can pummel them with the stones in your hand. But I digress...

A lot of blind people throwing stones means a lot of blind people are going to get hit with stones.

I've been thinking that this thread could be offensive to blind people, and then I realized none of them will be reading it. :nana:

A lot of blind people throwing stones means a lot of blind people are going to get hit with stones.

I've been thinking that this thread could be offensive to blind people, and then I realized none of them will be reading it. :unsure:

In the land of the blind, Steely Dan is still a !@#$ing dipshit.

Actually it doesn't matter if they were born blind or not. If they don't accept him, he still can see and they can't, and he can maim or kill them, making them his servants and him still King. Of nothing.

So a single One-Eyed Man can dispense with an entire population of blind people? I think that's the kind of arrogance that will contribute to the demise of the One-Eyed Man.

Actually it doesn't matter if they were born blind or not. If they don't accept him, he still can see and they can't, and he can maim or kill them, making them his servants and him still King. Of nothing.

So a single One-Eyed Man can dispense with an entire population of blind people? I think that's the kind of arrogance that will contribute to the demise of the One-Eyed Man.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/244711/blind_kung_fu_master/

He wouldn't need to dispense with the entire population. Just the stronger elements. Fear is a great way to keep people in line.

So no matter how you slice it, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man truly IS king.

Probably depends on the population, but yes, I think as long as he's patient he can take them all out.

With that awesome logic and expected arrogance, you'd last about 10 minutes.

Can't argue with that awesome logic. :thumbsup:

But rest assured Deano, I have NO interest in being, much less expending the effort in becoming, the King of a bunch of blind people.

Can't argue with that awesome logic. :thumbsup:

But rest assured Deano, I have NO interest in being, much less expending the effort in becoming, the King of a bunch of blind people.

:thumbsup:

You really don't have much good to say about the blind, do you?

:thumbsup:

You really don't have much good to say about the blind, do you?

I have a lot of good things to say about the blind. I just wouldn't want to be a ruler of a land full of them, and I doubt anyone else would either.