Jason Campbell to Buffalo rumor

zow2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Campbell improved his accuracy, yards, and touchdowns every season since he's been in the league. He threw for over 3,000 yards and 20 tds last year for a team that has no wrs, a crappy OL and consistently banged up running backs. PLUS he lost chris cooley for a good portion of the year, and went through changes to his coaches every year. For people to say Trent Edwards is better than him is absolutely absurd.

He had better stats than qbs like cutler, matt ryan, david gerrard, DONOVAN MCNABB, carson palmer, etc. how people think this isnt an improvement to what we already have is beyond me

So why are the Skins trading him then?

I wouldn't trade an old pair of underwear for Jason Campbell. The whole idea of making a trade is to improve your ballclub. Bringing in Jason Campbell is in no way, shape or form, improving anything.

+1

Campbell is a bum. If this deal is made Nix and Gailey have proven to be bums as well.

We should only get people that can help the team. I would much rather see Whitner traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

let alone giving an additional pick to Washington for Campbell????

It would be the dumbest deal we could make. Unless we could package Campbell in a future deal.

I don't contend that Campbell had as good a season as Warner, I'm simply saying that the folks bashing Campbell should at least acknowledge that the guy is a capable NFL passer who did significantly more last season than any Buffalo QB in the last 5 years, and did it with--at best--similar talent at the skill positions and OL as Buffalo has had during that time.

I agree he holds the ball too long, but I tend to think that such a thing will happen to a guy when he's been in 6 different offenses in the last 7 years...hard to get comfortable on where the ball should be going and when if you're constantly switching systems.

I also like the way guys like Fred Davis and Devin Thomas started to come around as Campbell progressed last season.

I'm a Redskin season ticket holder. This guys is not capable...think Rob Johnson.

Most of his yards came when the game was already over...don't let stats fool you.

No pocket awareness

Bad accuracy

Consistanly turns the ball over

Can't read defenses

Bad football smarts

Always misses open receivers

Bad move for the Bills if this happens.

+1

Campbell is a bum. If this deal is made Nix and Gailey have proven to be bums as well.

We should only get people that can help the team. I would much rather see Whitner traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

let alone giving an additional pick to Washington for Campbell????

It would be the dumbest deal we could make. Unless we could package Campbell in a future deal.

Whitner is paid as the #8 selection in a draft. A team could use the 2nd or 3rd you suggest and draft a safety who would stand a very decent chance of being as good as, or better than Whitner, and he would cost WAY less.

Very often it is hard for fans to let go of 1st round picks when they are so-so players, or even when they suck. Expectations are high for early selections, and it is rough admitting that the Bills screwed up yet again with a franchisie building, early pick, thus the support for players such as Whitner and Losman.

Hey, if your neck was on the line for Campbell, would you go with him? Not sure. Most clubs are looking for their franchise QB, and he does not jump off the page as someone you can weigh your job on. I do think that campbell has not received a fair shake. He has lots of potential, but so do all the QB's that are landing in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft. A QB is judged on his leadership, potential, skill set and height (etc) I think the kid can be a leader. Calling out Portis for his attitude was great. He is on his way, but I would not waste any picks trying to get him. A straight up trade for Whitner is what makes sense. I would do that.

I'm a Redskin season ticket holder. This guys is not capable...think Rob Johnson.

Most of his yards came when the game was already over...don't let stats fool you.

No pocket awareness

Bad accuracy

Can't read defenses

Bad football smarts

Thank you. I can't believe the lunacy around here at times.

No pocket awareness

Bad accuracy

Can't read defenses

Bad football smarts

So I suppose you haven't seen much of Whitner?

you have to wonder to tho -- a lot of what i have read says lacks leadership ability.....

i wonder how any qb could lead in that situation. qoach and owner trying to trade you, sherm coming in mid year, former probowl running back running his mouth more then the ball, mike williams as a starter on your line, cooley hurt early. the fact that he put up any kind of numbers is impressive in itself. Yes, the team won 4 (?) games but there was an organizational lack (or total disfunction) of leadership that led to a lot of those losses.

No pocket awareness

Bad accuracy

Can't read defenses

Bad football smarts

As someone that's likely seen much more of him than I have, I respect your opinion, but the facts tell a slightly different story. While I'd like to be able to confirm what you're saying about his yardage distribution by quarter, I don't have a reference to look it up. The best I can do is look at his TD pass distribution by quarter:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...hdowns/passing/

Checking out his 2009 #s, he only threw 4 of his 20 TD passes in the 4th quarter, and all but one of them brough the 'skins to within a TD of the lead. Same situation for his 3rd quarter TD passes--only 2 of his 6 3rd quarter TD passes came with his team down by more than 14 points, and one of those 2 brought Washington to within a TD of the lead.

The facts also don't support your assertion that he has bad accuracy, as his completion percentage ranked 10th in the NFL. It's also important--when considering his completion percentage--to understand that his YPA (7.1) ranked 15th (ahead of guys like Cutler, Palmer, Ryan), so as not to confuse his high completion percentage with a guy that strictly dumps the ball off to RBs.

He also threw the same # of interceptions as NFL passing leader Matt Schaub and threw 1 INT fewer than Peyton Manning. I understand that fumbles might be an issue (fumbled 13 times), and I haven't watched him closely enough to say whether or not it's an issue of ball security, so perhaps you could give me some feedback on that?

So, all in all, in regards to the intangibles you mention (pocket awareness, football intelligence, etc.), I'll have to submit to your opinion, but as far as the measurables go, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree.

As someone that's likely seen much more of him than I have, I respect your opinion, but the facts tell a slightly different story. While I'd like to be able to confirm what you're saying about his yardage distribution by quarter, I don't have a reference to look it up. The best I can do is look at his TD pass distribution by quarter:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...hdowns/passing/

Checking out his 2009 #s, he only threw 4 of his 20 TD passes in the 4th quarter, and all but one of them brough the 'skins to within a TD of the lead. Same situation for his 3rd quarter TD passes--only 2 of his 6 3rd quarter TD passes came with his team down by more than 14 points, and one of those 2 brought Washington to within a TD of the lead.

The facts also don't support your assertion that he has bad accuracy, as his completion percentage ranked 10th in the NFL. It's also important--when considering his completion percentage--to understand that his YPA (7.1) ranked 15th (ahead of guys like Cutler, Palmer, Ryan), so as not to confuse his high completion percentage with a guy that strictly dumps the ball off to RBs.

He also threw the same # of interceptions as NFL passing leader Matt Schaub and threw 1 INT fewer than Peyton Manning. I understand that fumbles might be an issue (fumbled 13 times), and I haven't watched him closely enough to say whether or not it's an issue of ball security, so perhaps you could give me some feedback on that?

So, all in all, in regards to the intangibles you mention (pocket awareness, football intelligence, etc.), I'll have to submit to your opinion, but as far as the measurables go, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I also live in the DC metro area and have seen a lot of Jason Campbell. When a player is in a dysfunctional system where the only constant is constant change then it shouldn't be surprising that a player, especially a qb, is going to have problems. Is JC going to be an all-pro? No. But in my view he is a legitimate franchise caliber qb. That is something the Bills don't presently have and have not had in a very long time. Constantly playing behind a bad OL and changing the offensive schemes is a recipe for failure for any qb.

If the Bills could trade Whitner for Campbell and a very low pick I would make that deal in a nanosecond.

I also live in the DC metro area and have seen a lot of Jason Campbell. When a player is in a dysfunctional system where the only constant is constant change then it shouldn't be surprising that a player, especially a qb, is going to have problems. Is JC going to be an all-pro? No. But in my view he is a legitimate franchise caliber qb. That is something the Bills don't presently have and have not had in a very long time. Constantly playing behind a bad OL and changing the offensive schemes is a recipe for failure for any qb.

If the Bills could trade Whitner for Campbell and a very low pick I would make that deal in a nanosecond.

I don't think Campbell has been given a fair shake in washington at all, and would jump on a trade, whitner for campbell str8 up, or they can throw in a pick, whichever. 7 difft offenses in 8 yrs is a remarkable amount of information to absorb, bring him to buffalo.

Campbell would be a very serviceable QB and massive upgrade to what we have now. Buffalo hasn't been able to draft a QB since 1983. To make matters worse we got chump free agent QBs to come in that provided absolutely NO competition to the crap that we got in the draft. I can only recall twice where we got a legit QB who had some years of experience under their belt and proven success. Look at Campbell's numbers. He qualifies.

Doug Flutie and Drew Bledsoe

Yes, I said Drew Bledsoe. He was great his first year and then things headed down hill when Price got dealt to Atlanta leaving Moulds with Josh Reed as his #2. Hrmmm....sounds like the same problem Evans had for the last 5 years until butter fingers TO came to town.

It is interesting to see some of the proponents of Campbell that are also really high on getting a QB in the draft at #9. I would rather continue the youth movement and fix the line starting with a LT at #9 and let Campbell run the show. Gailey could really do something with that guy. With a better line and improved running game Campbell could be just what the doctor ordered.

No one is clamoring for him. He isn't a savior qb. There isn't any savior qb on the market. But if you can get an upgrade at the qb position which will allow you to address the most pressing need, OL, then you make the deal. What is the major downside to such a deal? You are not giving up much with a Whitner trade and you are not mortgaging your future giving up precious draft picks.

Whitner is a solid player. He has been tagged as a failure by some because he was foolishly takened with a too high draft pick. The expectations for him didn't match his performance. It wasn't his fault that the fools who drafted him over-estimated his value. If there is one area the Bills are strong in (the only area) it is in the defensive backfield. If trading DW will allow us to upgrade the qb position and give us the opportunity to address other crtical needs, then I say it is the smart thing to do.

I agree, but I think you have to measure the "upgrade" at QB against giving up a solid player (as you called him) in Whitner, who is a starter. If i thought that Jason Campbell was anything more than a stopgap to another QB I would probably do it, but otherwise I would keep Whitner. I would be much more open to trading Whitner for picks or a definite upgrade at a position, not just "competition". How pissed would everyone be if we did this trade and then Edwards won the starting job in a fair competition?

I agree, but I think you have to measure the "upgrade" at QB against giving up a solid player (as you called him) in Whitner, who is a starter. If i thought that Jason Campbell was anything more than a stopgap to another QB I would probably do it, but otherwise I would keep Whitner. I would be much more open to trading Whitner for picks or a definite upgrade at a position, not just "competition". How pissed would everyone be if we did this trade and then Edwards won the starting job in a fair competition?

You misinterpreted my comments about Jason Campbell being a solid player. In my view he is a franchise caliber qb. We don't have that now and haven't had that for a very long time. There are no all-pro qbs available in the market. When a team has that type of player they lock him up. Something the Bills often don't do.

With respect to Edwards beating out Jason Campbell or any other qb why would I be against that? If he is a better qb, whether the qb is a first round pick or a qb acquired through a trade, then so be it. Competing for a job is what the profession is all about.

I don't understand all the consternation about Trent Edwards and giving him an opportunity to compete for a roster spot, either as a starter or reserve. Has he recently struggled? He certainly has. But playing behind a USFL caliber OL tends to affect how a qb plays.

I bolded and underlined part of your statement-u do realize you just described the Bills, right?

So I suppose you haven't seen much of Whitner?

I see every Bills games. Though I don't live in Bufalo anymore they are still my team.

Whitner clearly was not worth the 8 pick in the draft, he is very average and he is expendable.

Lets get draft picks for him....he is a better safety than Campbell is a QB...by far.