Brad Butler retiring

DPR4444

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this opens up another hole I say we let Bell and Meredith battle it out for the RT position and draft a LT pick 9 then draft a NT pick 41.

So with this revelation I think our O-line should be

LT- Buluga/pick 9 player

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Bell/Meridith

Brad Butler informed the team he is retiring from football.

The fact that people in this thread are surprised or upset about this is dumbfounding. Optimism is fine, but let's be realistic, the guy is being held together with gum and duct tape and even at his best he was nothing more than a less than stout right guard. Nothing against the guy, but him as a reliable starting RT was a pipe dream.

So with this revelation I think our O-line should be

LT- Buluga/pick 9 player

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Bell/Meridith

LT- Buluga/pick 9 player

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Incognito/Wood

RT- Bell/Meridith/another draft pick

LT- Buluga/pick 9 player

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Incognito/Wood

RT- Bell/Meridith/another draft pick

You have Wood as a backup? Really?

WOW....

There are 2 ways this can go. They can put Wood at Center (which is what I would like to see) and re-sign Incognito to play RG. Unfortunately, Incognito is only suited for G, so to get him on the field, he either has to play LG or RG. I would like to see Levitre stay put at LG, but he may be able to handle RT. It would be interesting to see. They could leave Wood at G and leave Hangman at C, but that may freeze Incognito out since he isn't athletic enough to play T.

I would like them to get a proven LT in FA if they can, but the pickings are very slim. Unfortunately, they will probably have to do this in the Draft. I could easily see us going LT or RT at 9 now. Depending on how Bell comes back, he may be serevicable at RT, but I would rather get better there. With Butler retiring, I wouldn't be shocked if they went back to back lineman early int he draft. Either way, I'm glad Butler told them now instead of closer to FA and the Draft. Just another hole to fill, unfortunately.

You can thank Jim Overdorf for this predicament. Rather than admitting the mistake of extending Butler's RG contract, JO wanted to rationalize the Langston mistake by moving him to L T. So you had two expensive players out of position and Overdorf picked Walker as the fall guy.

So here we are a year later and both are gone still with a gaping hole at both tackles.

I wrestled with it. I think of it as a hole if there's really no one there who has played the position capably, ever. Believe me when I say that I think our QBs are a collection of s---bags, and that our hopes are pretty much for the light to come on for Brohm, McNabb, or some other miracle. If Chan thinks he can resurrect Edwards, god bless 'im, but I'm not holding out hope.

Which I think sums up the Bills QB situation.

They do from time to time, but there are no GREAT passblocking RT's that is just not their job. Butler was NOT a really good RT anyway. We can replace him in the 3rd or later rounds.

how many positions can you address in one draft

That sucks. He was our best option at right tackle.

I beg to differ...

...I think we have better options in Bell, Meredith, Watkins and Incognito...depending on how the line shapes out.

We could go...

Rookie LT - Levitre - Wood - Incognito - Bell/Meredith/Watkins

or

Rookie LT - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Incognito

or

Bell - Levitre - Wood - Incognito - Meredith

I think we are in alright shape as far as the offensive line goes.

You can thank Jim Overdorf for this predicament. Rather than admitting the mistake of extending Butler's RG contract, JO wanted to rationalize the Langston mistake by moving him to L T. So you had two expensive players out of position and Overdorf picked Walker as the fall guy.

So here we are a year later and both are gone still with a gaping hole at both tackles.

For all the credit given to the team for "regime change" Buffalo still has people like JO around making personnel decisions. The history of the Buffalo Bills from 2006-2009 will be taking one step forward and two steps back. Last years OL was a myriad of bad personnel moves, and the OL rebuild will continue out of necessity-again.

Excellent point. One wonders why Overdorf is still around after moves like this. It's not as though capologists are few and far between.

How did Overdorf enter into this and why was Butler's extension a mistake (other than Overdorf, allegedly, not being clairvoyant and seeing that Butler would retire 2 years later)? Butler got a 5-year extension in 2008 that paid him about $2M/year, with probably a small signing bonus, of which the Bills can go after the unamortized portion, since he decided to retire. The move of Walker to LT and Butler to RT had only to do with the Jason Peters situation.

And depending on the status of Butler's progress, this might have been a hole they needed to fill anyway.