Brad Butler retiring

DPR4444

Come on guys, RT's are not that hard to find. They mainly run block and that is it. Butler is not a loss at all.

Ya who needs tackles!?!!? We just need a magical rookie QB who can make the o-line better! Neither of the super bowl teams had good tackles or an offensive line for that matter. It was just the QB snapping the ball to himself making it all happen. O-line is highly over rated :wallbash:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is his heart just wasn't into it. Was always rehabbing and getting hurt again and again. Was average at best anyway when healthy so I don't see this changing how or who we draft anyway.

May also be that he knows he is best suited to play at G and that with the 2 kids at guard his days as a starter there were at an end. Just conjecture, but some guys really do know their own abilities and want to play and contribute, but want to be put in the best position to succeed and not be embarrassed. I'd guess all the injuries are certainly a factor as well.

So was he around long enough to get the full NFL pension? I'd imagine that's a nice little thing to fall back on, combined with the higher quality of life he's going to live after avoiding future injuries and the constant barage of hits to the head.

Heres is how we fix the holes via draft:

Rd1 OT - Campbell, Davis or Bulaga

Rd2 NT - Cam Thomas 6'-4" 331, 5.14 -40

Rd3 3-4 OSLB - Sergio Kindle or Eric Norwwod

Rd4 OT - Rodger Seiffold - Ind - 6'-5" 5.13 -40

Rd 5 RB - Ben Tate - Auburn - Great back.

Now I know what about QB, next year get the kid out of Washington Jack Locker -cold weather strong arm.

Pretty good draft, but if they aren't going to trade for a vet qb who can be there for 3 years at least, and they wait another year to draft a QB, who will in turn take a couple years to develop, we haven't made progress. You need a qb to win in this league, and if they wait a year and then start to develop a rookie, by the time he is ready, these lineman you just drafted will be ready to leave via Free Agency. So with the retirement of Butler, just adding another whole to the many we already have, it is really looking to me at least, that signing a vet qb (McNabb) may be the best option. You aren't going to get a whole offensive line via free agency, they tried that a few years ago, so it might be best to continue with what they started last year of building an OL through the draft.

Well said....

And he can still make 6 figures doing it. Bet he saved up his money wisely, took advantage of the league programs.

He maybe has a job lined up already....good for him.

First 2 picks have to be lineman now.

Perhaps in the future Buddy Nix can draft guys who actually want to play football for a living. That may leave out the OT from Rutgers who apparently has a problem with motivation.

IMHO it was less about salary than attitude. The reasons given for not paying Peters what he wanted was his poor effort in 2008. And Walker, as I mentioned, was considered a "locker room lawyer," and I assume a bad influence on other players. I don't know if that bad influence would have been worse than cutting him and seeing the O-line go through what it did last year.

Scuttlebutt was that the coaching staff was as surprised as Walker about the release, so I don't know if his locker room presence was the driving reason for the cut.

Again, pure conjecture, but all inexplicable roster moves that involve high priced vets usually lead to one avenue.

Scuttlebutt was that the coaching staff was as surprised as Walker about the release, so I don't know if his locker room presence was the driving reason for the cut.

Again, pure conjecture, but all inexplicable roster moves that involve high priced vets usually lead to one avenue.

Is Overdorf the guy who determines what players get/are worth? My recollection is he's strictly a capologist.

Is Overdorf the guy who determines what players get/are worth? My recollection is he's strictly a capologist.

That's the official title, but apparently he was a lot more involved in personnel decisions than just running an Excel spreadsheet. (Hopefully the "was" is the correct description)

Perhaps in the future Buddy Nix can draft guys who actually want to play football for a living.

Indeed.

Now, this is Butler's choice and it's a free country.... But, to quote Otto in A Fish Called Wanda, "DISAPPOINTED!"

Continuing to draft, develop, then lose players is a surefire way to get to where the Bills are. Butler wasn't the best, but he sure wasn't the worst. Another hole to plug.

Heres is how we fix the holes via draft:

Rd1 OT - Campbell, Davis or Bulaga

Rd2 NT - Cam Thomas 6'-4" 331, 5.14 -40

Rd3 3-4 OSLB - Sergio Kindle or Eric Norwwod

Rd4 OT - Rodger Seiffold - Ind - 6'-5" 5.13 -40

Rd 5 RB - Ben Tate - Auburn - Great back.

Now I know what about QB, next year get the kid out of Washington Jack Locker -cold weather strong arm.

I think your thoughts in the first 4 rounds are good. But we keep Marshawn even though alot of people want him gone so we dont need a RB right now.

Based on your draft we still need a QB. THIS YEAR!!

That's the official title, but apparently he was a lot more involved in personnel decisions than just running an Excel spreadsheet. (Hopefully the "was" is the correct description)

The word has been that Overdorf has cut several "high priced" veterans without the input or even knowledge of the coaching staff. Either he has a much larger say in the makeup of the roster than most people will admit, or he is merely a puppet who has his strings pulled by the master puppeteer in Detroit. Take your pick.

The word has been that Overdorf has cut several "high priced" veterans without the input or even knowledge of the coaching staff. Either he has a much larger say in the makeup of the roster than most people will admit, or he is merely a puppet who has his strings pulled by the master puppeteer in Detroit. Take your pick.

But, but, but...we had a regime change doggonit! Nix, as General Manager of Football will be making those decisions I thought.

I think your thoughts in the first 4 rounds are good. But we keep Marshawn even though alot of people want him gone so we dont need a RB right now.

Based on your draft we still need a QB. THIS YEAR!!

add...sign Michael Vick at qb. and we'll be cooking with gas. There are a couple of interesting d-line acquistions in free agency that we might pick up as well. Frankly it would not be all that hard to turn us into a competitor for the playoffs in one year with some gutsy moves.

I heard on Sirius as two of the speakers were going on about Butler's retirement one of them point out that the fact that it was the Buffalo Bills might have been a reason...something to the effect of "how many games will the bills win next year with New York, New England and Miami in that division?" and the other fellow responded..."five-maybe"

I think he's accurate with the team we have, but with the right changes it could be an interesting fight in the AFC East, and we could be in the thick of it.

I heard on Sirius as two of the speakers were going on about Butler's retirement one of them point out that the fact that it was the Buffalo Bills might have been a reason...something to the effect of "how many games will the bills win next year with New York, New England and Miami in that division?" and the other fellow responded..."five-maybe"

That's idiotic. As BuffaloRebound said, who walks away from $2M/year (and by retiring, he forfeits a good portion of the signing bonus he was given) to become a lackey for some politician? Even if you're playing for a bad team? That's a lot of coin to walk away from.

One Buffalo reporter stated a week or two prior to Walker getting cut that when the line coaching staff was arguing for Bell to start ahead of Walker because he was too slow that the bean counters wanted him out because they didn't want to pay a backup starter money. In addition, the money managers wanted to do cut him quickly before another bonus kicked in. Although their reasoning was reasonable his departure was very damaging because he could have been a useful backup for the RT slot and either of the guard slots. He even would have been a presentable backup for the LT spot. So a thin OL became precariously thinner. When the injuries happened the line had no decent reserves to fall back on.