Brad Butler retiring

DPR4444

Come on guys, RT's are not that hard to find. They mainly run block and that is it. Butler is not a loss at all.

Yeah, they mainly run block... until they're asked to pass block.

WTF?

Do defensive coordinators not move pressure around to take advantage of weaknesses in protection in your world?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, then it looks like Bell would most likely move to RT - and, if they thought he could be a real good LT, then he ought to have what it takes to be a good RT. Consequently, though, I'd think that would make drafting a LT that much higher of a priority, unless the coaches think Bell really is ready to be a good LT, in which case they could probably settle for drafting a RT candidate in the middle rounds, or F.A...

This is not good news. This really increases my hopes that Schobel is not retiring. The Bills cannot afford any more holes to fill on the roster, especially in starting roles.

There are now officially holes at

LT

RT

WR 1B (TO)

WR slot (Reed FA)

NT

with giant question marks at

RG (will Wood come back?)

LDE

RDE

QB

2 of 4 LB positions

It's really hitting home how much of a disaster the Levy / Jauron / Inner Circle years were. They left us with decent STs, a good secondary, and a few parts on the OL.

Whether Butler came back or not, the Bills still needed a real RT.

He realized that with Levitre, Wood, and Incognito he was going to have to earn a spot as a guard, cuz he sure as hell can't play RT.

I know! Wasn't he unbelievably bad in that 1 and a half game he played at RT in his entire career!?!

"I would like to thank Mr. Wilson, my teammates and the entire Bills Nation for giving me the opportunity to represent the Buffalo Bills for the past four years," Butler said in a statement given to the team for release to the media and fans. "Playing in the National Football League has been a tremendous opportunity and a great blessing. However, my passion for education, country and community is something that I am ready to devote my full attention to. I believe the best way to pursue these spheres of interest is to step away from the game of football at this point in my life. I will always remember my time spent in Western New York with great affection. I wish my teammates and Bills fans the best of luck next season and into the future."

From the Buffalo News http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/961210.html

Class guy. I wish him well.

This is not good news. This really increases my hopes that Schobel is not retiring. The Bills cannot afford any more holes to fill on the roster, especially in starting roles.

There are now officially holes at

LT

RT

WR 1B (TO)

WR slot (Reed FA)

NT

with giant question marks at

RG (will Wood come back?)

LDE

RDE

QB

2 of 4 LB positions

It's really hitting home how much of a disaster the Levy / Jauron / Inner Circle years were. They left us with decent STs, a good secondary, and a few parts on the OL.

How is QB only a question mark?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How is QB only a question mark?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I wrestled with it. I think of it as a hole if there's really no one there who has played the position capably, ever. Believe me when I say that I think our QBs are a collection of s---bags, and that our hopes are pretty much for the light to come on for Brohm, McNabb, or some other miracle. If Chan thinks he can resurrect Edwards, god bless 'im, but I'm not holding out hope.

I don't have tape of it but I thought he fared very well against NE, and that his absence as the one veteran with many games under his belt cost the line dearly.

I was obviously being sarcastic. Dr. Trooth is a bozo. Butler was always good. Remember in '08 when he missed a bunch of games and they couldn't run the ball and then as soon as he came back vs. Cleveland, they ran the ball all over the place. The only question was whether or not he could stay healthy. This is a HUGE loss.

I was obviously being sarcastic. Dr. Trooth is a bozo. Butler was always good. Remember in '08 when he missed a bunch of games and they couldn't run the ball and then as soon as he came back vs. Cleveland, they ran the ball all over the place. The only question was whether or not he could stay healthy. This is a HUGE loss.

Gotcha. I agree on all points mentioned.

Wasn't Levitre a tackle in college anyway?

LT-Wood-Hangartner-Incognito-Levitre

That's assuming Wood comes back, which he WON'T. Man we're screwed.

Dude, I have never wanted to believe anything more in my life with regard to the Bills than that Eric Wood will come back and be a monster, preferably AT center.

I am just going to go "la la la la la" anytime anyone mentions how catastrophic that injury was, until I see this guy on the field.

Denial is our friend here.

Yeah, they mainly run block... until they're asked to pass block.

WTF?

Do defensive coordinators not move pressure around to take advantage of weaknesses in protection in your world?

They do from time to time, but there are no GREAT passblocking RT's that is just not their job. Butler was NOT a really good RT anyway. We can replace him in the 3rd or later rounds.

During his pre-draft interview with Marv he was asked something along the lines of "How about that center you have down in Virginia" referring to a teammate of his but Butler thought he heard "senator" instead of "center" and started talking about George Allen and John Warner.

Brad Butler was a pretty good player when he was healthy. Unfortunately he wasn't healthy a good deal of the time. We aren't one decent RT away from contending, so maybe this could be a good thing in disguise. It forces the team to put more emphasis on OT in FA and the draft. :rolleyes: Which should have already been a no brainer but who knows. The possibilty of getting a healthier equivalent to Butler is decent IMO.

I liked the guy but durability has as much to do with success as talent. I'm thinking Butler has come to the conclusion his body is a question mark. Good luck Brad, :rolleyes: