Olympics 2010

josh_564

Not everyone likes the winter games

Winter Games

On the February 7, 2006 episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, Gumbel made the following remarks about the Winter Olympics:

“ Try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada is really fugging these games up so far, but the IOC should be blamed for it being there in the first place.

Why would the WINTER Olympics be awarded to a place where the average high in February is 46 and the average low is 35!? It's the only place in Canada that ISN'T COLD! Indoor opening ceremonies....come on.

As for the 10 best moments of the opening ceremony, #1 definitely has to be Batman playing fiddle in the bat signal.

...and Gretzkey, come on...you know you were going to light another cauldron all by yourself, how about calling over the speed skater and at least let her join you.

I thought outside of the glitch, that it was a beautiful and well done ceremony. Canada is probably the greatest country in the world outside the United States and they equated themselves quite well. One of the most breathtaking, pristine places on earth.

Good luck to all the competitors and RIP to Nodar Kumaritashvili. What a terrible stain on the games.

Canada is probably the greatest country in the world outside the United States and they equated themselves quite well. One of the most breathtaking, pristine places on earth.

You're almost right AD. You gotta' put Oz in 2nd place though, with Canada a close 3rd.

:unsure:

Tape Delayed sporting events suck all the suspense and drama out of the event. And NBC wonders why fewer and fewer people tune in to see the games? Why watch when you already know all the outcomes and then they just roll through each event with no buildup, no drama, no emotion?

Maybe if the events are happening around the world at 3am local time... ok. I can understand that reasoning. But, when you have events happening on the west coast, there's absolutely no reason to not show as many of the events live as they can.

I thought outside of the glitch, that it was a beautiful and well done ceremony. Canada is probably the greatest country in the world outside the United States and they equated themselves quite well. One of the most breathtaking, pristine places on earth.

Good luck to all the competitors and RIP to Nodar Kumaritashvili. What a terrible stain on the games.

I enjoyed the show. The special effects were enjoyable and paying tribute to the native tribes was very nice.

Tape Delayed sporting events suck all the suspense and drama out of the event. And NBC wonders why fewer and fewer people tune in to see the games? Why watch when you already know all the outcomes and then they just roll through each event with no buildup, no drama, no emotion?

Maybe if the events are happening around the world at 3am local time... ok. I can understand that reasoning. But, when you have events happening on the west coast, there's absolutely no reason to not show as many of the events live as they can.

I always think back in amazement that the greatest sporting event in US history (1980 hockey vs. USSR) was shown on tape delay. Olympics were in the US Eastern time zone and they still put it on delay!

I always think back in amazement that the greatest sporting event in US history (1980 hockey vs. USSR) was shown on tape delay. Olympics were in the US Eastern time zone and they still put it on delay!

Now they are going to stick the hockey games on MSNBC so they can show Ice Dancing on NBC......gimme a break.