What Chan and Buddy Are Doing Right Now

yungmack

Here's my summary of the discussions going on around here about the future of the Bills: Our QBs suck, our O-line sucks, Whitner sucks, our team sucks, we've got holes everywhere. So we have to bring in McNabb/Thigpen/Orton etc., get rid of Lynch/Evans/Schobel etc., draft Bradford/Clausen/Lefevour etc., get a LT, get a big, fat nose tackle, get better receivers, etc. AND pick the halftime act for the next Super Bowl. Whew!

The thing is, the only judgments that matter are the ones that will come out of One Bills Drive. And I for one trust Buddy and Chan and their advisers more than I do myself. So what I think is going on right now is that those people are looking at every available piece of footage on everyone on the roster, talking with people who might have insight into these players, and coming to a determination about every one of them. In that process, they may decide that none of the QBs we have (or Evans, Whitner, Lynch, etc.) are up to their standards. Or maybe they'll decide that Brohm or McKelvin or Bell have tremendous upsides. I don't know what their final decisions will be. But I'm willing to trust them more than I've been willing to trust any FO types in at least a decade.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my summary of the discussions going on around here about the future of the Bills: Our QBs suck, our O-line sucks, Whitner sucks, our team sucks, we've got holes everywhere. So we have to bring in McNabb/Thigpen/Orton etc., get rid of Lynch/Evans/Schobel etc., draft Bradford/Clausen/Lefevour etc., get a LT, get a big, fat nose tackle, get better receivers, etc. AND pick the halftime act for the next Super Bowl. Whew!

The thing is, the only judgments that matter are the ones that will come out of One Bills Drive. And I for one trust Buddy and Chan and their advisers more than I do myself. So what I think is going on right now is that those people are looking at every available piece of footage on everyone on the roster, talking with people who might have insight into these players, and coming to a determination about every one of them. In that process, they may decide that none of the QBs we have (or Evans, Whitner, Lynch, etc.) are up to their standards. Or maybe they'll decide that Brohm or McKelvin or Bell have tremendous upsides. I don't know what their final decisions will be. But I'm willing to trust them more than I've been willing to trust any FO types in at least a decade.

You're putting a lot of faith in people who had to assemble a coaching staff and came up with Chan Gailey, George Edwards, and Curtis Modkins! :wallbash:

If I was to make a guess on what they might be thinking:

- Our starting QB is not on this roster......Brohm has some pedigree to him so we will look at him in training camp but we need a proven veteran leader out there

- D. Bell has all the tools but was thrown in too early......want to look at him in training camp.....but we need to solidify that position

- We need a backup plan for Wood.....and his name is Incognito

- They will still like Hangarter at center for at least another year because of his veteran presense

- What Yokozuna can we bring in to play NT

- Someone follow Lynch around and keep him out of trouble

- Ditto Whitner

In the spirit of the Super Bowl halftime show I say...

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

And we (at least I) won't be fooled again!

And in that same spirit, I say:

"Who the @#$% are YOU?!"

I happen to like the Chan Gailey pick, and yes, I chuckled at the Curtis Modkins selection.

But DC George Edwards is highly regarded by men who have played for him (Marcus Stroud, Lavar Arrington), they say he will make our defensive players accountable to him. Get the best out of players by putting them in position to succeed. That gives me hope. We have not seen that kind of coaching around the Bills in a long time.

Did you really expect Cowher or Marty or some "name" coach?

Gailey is the guy Cowher would have selected, so hey, get on board or get out of town...

Ok while I know that this team is far from being a playoff division contender (Let alone SB contender) we don't exactly have nothing to work with. Assuming Wood is back we have 2 talented guards and a very nice young vet center (Also a possible solid RT in Butler coming off injury), a good receiver in Lee Evans, a pair of good running backs in Freddie and Lynch, we also have some potential in guys like Nelson, Hardy, Steve Johnson, and Brohm (Nelson being the best chance to be something).

Now on D we have a very good secondary with a very good high ceiling player in McKelvin coming back to the already good unit. The front 7 is going to be a cluster you know what with the change in scheme to a 3-4 BUT there are some nice players to work with that could make the conversion to it.

Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, and Marcus Stroud could possibly be 3-4 DE's. Maybin and Schobel could possibly be 3-4 OLB's while Poz and Mitchel could both possibly make 3-4 MLB's. Yes we are missing a NT and not everyone will be able to make the conversion BUT some will fit the scheme and make the conversion.

So I guess the point of my post is that our team is lacking talent but we aren't starting from 0 either we have parts and all of our draft picks plus we aren't loosing anyone big to free agency so look for our team to improve as long as we spend wisely and draft even more wisely.

You're putting a lot of faith in people who had to assemble a coaching staff and came up with Chan Gailey, George Edwards, and Curtis Modkins! :wallbash:

Actually we are putting "a lot of faith" in a GM who has drafted 20+ probowlers as Asst GM and a HC who hired such "no names" as Les Miles and Mike Zimmer in his prior NFL HC gig. Pretty sure those track records speak for themselves... stop sipping the Jerry sullivan/WGR kool aid bro!!!

Actually we are putting "a lot of faith" in a GM who has drafted 20+ probowlers as Asst GM and a HC who hired such "no names" as Les Miles and Mike Zimmer in his prior NFL HC gig. Pretty sure those track records speak for themselves... stop sipping the Jerry sullivan/WGR kool aid bro!!!

I thought it was more like 40+ probowlers.......

Ok while I know that this team is far from being a playoff division contender (Let alone SB contender) we don't exactly have nothing to work with. Assuming Wood is back we have 2 talented guards and a very nice young vet center (Also a possible solid RT in Butler coming off injury), a good receiver in Lee Evans, a pair of good running backs in Freddie and Lynch, we also have some potential in guys like Nelson, Hardy, Steve Johnson, and Brohm (Nelson being the best chance to be something).

Now on D we have a very good secondary with a very good high ceiling player in McKelvin coming back to the already good unit. The front 7 is going to be a cluster you know what with the change in scheme to a 3-4 BUT there are some nice players to work with that could make the conversion to it.

Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, and Marcus Stroud could possibly be 3-4 DE's. Maybin and Schobel could possibly be 3-4 OLB's while Poz and Mitchel could both possibly make 3-4 MLB's. Yes we are missing a NT and not everyone will be able to make the conversion BUT some will fit the scheme and make the conversion.

So I guess the point of my post is that our team is lacking talent but we aren't starting from 0 either we have parts and all of our draft picks plus we aren't loosing anyone big to free agency so look for our team to improve as long as we spend wisely and draft even more wisely.

Something else to consider with the bolded part is the possibility of no 3 pt. stance being implemented leaguewide. Everyone will be new to this 'first step', leveling the playing field for guys accepting/working on a new position

Blzfan4life..... Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Tell me who the hell are you, who, who, who, who?? Really now, I believe the staff is in the process of looking at TONS of game film seeing WHO played and WHO went through the motions. The film doesn't lie! Losers OUT and players stay. On the draft end of the ledger, work is being done there too! Sleep tight, the southerners are "on it", so to speak!!

Good post. The discussions on this board can get a bit tired sometimes and all the negativity is really boring. I'm with you. I'm anxious to see what the new regime has in store for us. We all knew that the status quo was not working. These guys are going to shake things up and I like what I'm seeing and hearing so far. Time will tell how successful they will be, but what have we got to lose? We have been terrible for 10 years. Worst case scenario is that we suck again. Best case is that the team starts getting better and moving in the right direction.

We will be okay as long as Buddy & Chan realize that as you state Our QBs suck, our O-line sucks, Whitner sucks, our team sucks, we've got holes everywhere. So we have to bring in McNabb/Thigpen/Orton etc., get rid of Lynch/Evans/Schobel etc., draft Bradford/Clausen/Lefevour etc., get a LT, get a big, fat nose tackle, get better receivers, etc. AND pick the halftime act for the next Super Bowl. Whew!

They won't have to pick the halftime show because they will be in front of a TV watching it just like the rest of Bills Nation.

Good post. The discussions on this board can get a bit tired sometimes and all the negativity is really boring. I'm with you. I'm anxious to see what the new regime has in store for us. We all knew that the status quo was not working. These guys are going to shake things up and I like what I'm seeing and hearing so far. Time will tell how successful they will be, but what have we got to lose? We have been terrible for 10 years. Worst case scenario is that we suck again. Best case is that the team starts getting better and moving in the right direction.

Does anyone remember there used to be a regular caller on GR back in the Arty baby-boo-boo/Coach Dickerson "who loves ya baby?" era named Mr. Negative?