Report: Bills one of 3 going for McNabb

shaker4187

To follow up on ESPN's Adam Schefter's report that "multiple teams have called Eagles to inquire about their three QBs," Schefter's colleague Sal Paolantonio discloses the identity of three teams who have had discussions with the Eagles specifically regarding Donovan McNabb - Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo.

The Browns will likely be tied to the Eagles because of Andy Reid's close relationship with new president Mike Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert. Cleveland has Derek Anderson, a Pro Bowl quarterback in the 2007 season who has not been able to duplicate that season's performance, and Brady Quinn, a former first-round pick. The Browns were 5-11 in 2008 as Quinn led the team with 1,339 passing yards, but he threw just eight touchdowns with seven interceptions. Just to note, the Browns have the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

The Broncos proved how the NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint in 2009. After a 6-0 start, the Broncos missed the playoffs with an 8-8 record. Last off-season, the Broncos traded Jay Cutler for a bevy of draft picks and quarterback Kyle Orton. Orton passed for 3,802 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions while completing 62.1 percent of his passes in 2009. Denver had the league's 20th-ranked scoring offense in 2009. The Broncos will have either the 10th or 11th overall pick (subject to a coin flip with the Jaguars) in this year's draft.

Buffalo is interesting because the Eagles have spent the early portion of their off-season acquiring former Bills coaches in new special teams coordinator Bobby April and senior assistant/defensive backs coach Dick Jauron. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards split the quarterback duties for the 6-10 Bills, who ranked 28th in the league with 16.1 points per game last season. It will certainly be up to new general manager Buddy Nix and head coach Chan Gailey to chart the path for the organization. Buffalo has the ninth overall pick in the draft.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2010/2/...abb-cle-den-buf

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I see in aquiring a vet on the downside of his career is there's still no answer for the teams' future at the position. If we land a McNabb, etc. he'll get all the snaps. Even if we take a draft flyer on a QB, he'll be fortunate to make the taxi squad.

If the Chan-Gang comes to the conclusion the teams' qb of the future isn't currently on the staff, I think we're forced to spend a early (very early??) draft pick on it. Yesterday's Super Bowl spoke volumes of the need for a fine QB.

This team is about two years away from having a decent offensive line that can run proper protections and function as a cohesive unit, that is of course "if" they address the LT position in the draft with that 9th pick, and "if" Gailey knows how to build a decent O line.

Throwing caution to the wind and bringing in a name QB like McNabb might just sell the season tickets this year, but he will run for his life just like Edwards and the team will lose games, so why waste draft picks on one player when so many other areas of the team need immediate help.

Having watched all too many Donovan bounce passes down here in South Jersey I cringe every time I sense a relatively high degree of let's get McNabb and our problems will be answered.

There is no doubt that McNabb has been (HAS BEEN) a quality quarterback but if we have to give up anything higher than a #3 then we will have wasted an opportunity once again for the future of this team.

Our new coaching staff is experienced at getting the most out of quarterbacks and that gives me hope especially for Boehm but also possibly for Edwards. Fitzy is a great team player, gutsy, and a perfect number two guy but like McNabb Fitzy's passes all too often just don't get there.

So, let McNabb head off to Cleveland or Denver ... let's find ourselves a stud LT, a linebacker witth power and passion, and hope that our talent evaluators can identify a QB who can think decisively, throw the ball with accuracy, and be sturdy enough to survive the frozen tundra of THE RALPH.

GO BILLS!! :thumbsup:

This team is about two years away from having a decent offensive line that can run proper protections and function as a cohesive unit, that is of course "if" they address the LT position in the draft with that 9th pick, and "if" Gailey knows how to build a decent O line.

Throwing caution to the wind and bringing in a name QB like McNabb might just sell the season tickets this year, but he will run for his life just like Edwards and the team will lose games, so why waste draft picks on one player when so many other areas of the team need immediate help.

:thumbsup:

Agree 100% all McNabb would do is sell ticket it's a temporary fix. That said they may need to sell some tickets to keep the Bills in Buffalo and not turn into Jacksonville.

I say bring in McNabb on a 2-3 year contract. Let him start, have some combination of Fitz/Brohm/Edwards back him up (I would prefer Brohm and Fitz at this point). Let Brohm take a bunch of practice snaps and learn the offense, coming in to clean up games (if we ever get far enough ahead). Next year we focus on the QB to groom after McNabb leaves after building our lines this offseason.

I have very low expectations for our team this year. Bringing in a round 1 QB isn't going to change that much this year with the Oline still hurting and a change on defense. Next year however....

I disagree with your e v a l. I see our OL as being "decent" immediately as we have a bunch of fine young and now relatively experienced players, and with any luck and one more acquisition we're 1 yr away from a good one. :thumbsup:

I'm not so sure I want McNabb, or Vick for that matter. Think McNabb is on the

downside of his career.

That being said, what other options do we have for immediate improvement at the

QB position? Nothing available in FA right now, draft pick won't be impact player,

and our QB's are suspect. I would give no more than a 3rd round pick for Mcnabb,

or a much later pick for Vick using our 1st or 2nd round pick onthe "QB of the future".

I just hate the fact it might turn into a bidding war and we end up giving up a higher

round pick than he's worth.

Funny. I thought that arrogant, blowhard asshat Josh McDaniels didn't need a QB like Cutler, and could "win with Kyle Orton."

The Broncos/ Orton won more games than Cutler/ Bears.

Personally, I'd dangle our 3rd and would give him our 2nd if need be. McNabb has at least 4 good years left. As bad we were, if we had McNabb IMO, we make the playoffs. With an upgrade at LT, this could be a very good unit if we had a QB.

Instead of Mcnabb I would make a move for David Garrard who is younger and cheaper. Would make for a better stop gap while we try and find a franchise QB. Del Rio isn't so enamoured with him and wouldn't cost as much as Mcnabb. If you are going to spend big on any of the philly QBs it should be Kolb but I seriously doubt they would trade him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-bus/?related=1

Having watched all too many Donovan bounce passes down here in South Jersey I cringe every time I sense a relatively high degree of let's get McNabb and our problems will be answered.

There is no doubt that McNabb has been (HAS BEEN) a quality quarterback but if we have to give up anything higher than a #3 then we will have wasted an opportunity once again for the future of this team.

Our new coaching staff is experienced at getting the most out of quarterbacks and that gives me hope especially for Boehm but also possibly for Edwards. Fitzy is a great team player, gutsy, and a perfect number two guy but like McNabb Fitzy's passes all too often just don't get there.

So, let McNabb head off to Cleveland or Denver ... let's find ourselves a stud LT, a linebacker witth power and passion, and hope that our talent evaluators can identify a QB who can think decisively, throw the ball with accuracy, and be sturdy enough to survive the frozen tundra of THE RALPH.

GO BILLS!! :thumbsup:

Absolutely agree.

McNabb is not the answer. We're not ready to win. It would be a waste of resources to bring him in.

:thumbsup:

I agree with Phil Simms's statement that McNabb was running for his life in those loses to the Cowboys. Despite all the names on the Eagles offensive line, it's not that good. Further, everyone knows that the Eagles only pass. It's a very predictable offense.

If the Bills are considering McNabb, that almost ensures that the first pick will be a LT. Has to be.

Absolutely agree.

McNabb is not the answer. We're not ready to win. It would be a waste of resources to bring him in.

How can you say we're not ready to win? We were tied or led in the 4th quarter of every game this year but 2. You really don't think it is reasonable to think if we had a pro bowl QB like McNabb that a few of those Ls turn into Ws??? This is the NFL and teams go from 1-15 to make the playoffs the next season. Since nothing is guaranteed by a 2nd round draft pick, you take a proven QB and worry about winning now.

The problem I see in aquiring a vet on the downside of his career is there's still no answer for the teams' future at the position. If we land a McNabb, etc. he'll get all the snaps. Even if we take a draft flyer on a QB, he'll be fortunate to make the taxi squad.

If the Chan-Gang comes to the conclusion the teams' qb of the future isn't currently on the staff, I think we're forced to spend a early (very early??) draft pick on it. Yesterday's Super Bowl spoke volumes of the need for a fine QB.

Lets build the lines first. We do not have one legitimate proven NFL starting tackle on our roster. There are few, if any, marquee QBs in this draft. None of them look to be blue chip prospects like Manning or Elway. Why waste pick 9 and 41 on a QB when we need so much help in other areas?

Lets improve our talent on the OL and in the defensive front 7, get a stop gap QB for now, look for the QB of the future next year.

I disagree with your e v a l. I see our OL as being "decent" immediately as we have a bunch of fine young and now relatively experienced players, and with any luck and one more acquisition we're 1 yr away from a good one. :thumbsup:

"decent"...did you watch any of our games this year?