All Signs point to Cottrell

1. He had great sucess in Buffalo (1995-2000)

2. Knows how to stop the run (extra important in Buffalo climate)

3. Has worked with Buddy Nix in Buffalo and San Diego

4. Very Experienced

5. Struggles a little against the pass (that's why we kept a proven secondary coach)

6. Will employ the 3-4, something I believe Nix is looking for

7. The rest of the staff has already been hired....Since we have not knowingly interviewed superbowl assistants it wouldn't add up

8. Has not been hired yet because both sides are probably trying to hammer out the details of his current contract with the UFL

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

Not going to happen.

Ralph won't trust the man after interviewing for head coach position when Wade was fired. Ted thinks Ralph won't hire a black head coach! I believe there is some bad blood there. Bills hired Greg Williams which didn't sit well with Ted.

i hope your right.....

I think this would be a disappointing move. Ted rode Wade's coattails and our D slowly got worse. He was also let go from San Diego despite inheriting a talented defense. While I'm ok with Gailey's hiring for his offensive prowess, the selection of Cotrell would be a signal we're settling for mediocrity again.

Not going to happen.

Ralph won't trust the man after interviewing for head coach position when Wade was fired. Ted thinks Ralph won't hire a black head coach! I believe there is some bad blood there. Bills hired Greg Williams which didn't sit well with Ted.

Ralph also demanded that Dehaven be fired (and was)

Water under the bridge my friend, when one persons looking for work, and the others looking to win.

in my recollection, i think Mr. Wilson asked that Ronnie Jones be fired, not so much Dehaven.

jw

You are right...this has been hashed and rehashed so many times on this board in the last week, you would think everyone would know by now! :wallbash: :wallbash:

thanks. but who knew "brian billick" was so out of touch. guess that's why Nix never thought of interviewing him, eh?

jw

Briefly, for Brian Billick's sake, the sequence goes like this...

1) Bills lose 'Music City Miracle' game

2) To divert blame from his own fat ass, Wade makes DeHaven the 'scapegoat' for the fiasco and fires Bruce, states his intention to take more responsibility for Special Teams himself, then proceeds to replace DeHaven with Wade's unqualified crony, Ronnie Jones

3) Bills overall record plummets from 11-5 in '99 to 8-8 in 2000, largely in part to disastrous Special Teams performance under Jones

4) Ralph insists Wade fire Ronnie Jones (not Bruce DeHaven) as a condition of Wade's own continued employment

5) Wade refuses, and is fired

6) Ralph claims Wade 'quit' - or was insubordinate - and refuses to pay Wade for the remainder of his contract

7) Wade sues Ralph and wins his lawsuit

8) Wade moves on to Atlanta, San Diego, and finally to Dallas where his daughter Tracy becomes an exotic dancer and ersatz actress, winning bit parts in films such as Charlie Wilson's War...

Ted Cotrell the next Bills DC? I think not.

Not going to happen.

well, Ralph didn't hire Williams so that point is moot...Donahoe was club president and given full reign to do most anything he wanted

in my recollection, i think Mr. Wilson asked that Ronnie Jones be fired, not so much Dehaven.

jw

my recollection as well...I think we would've heard about it had Ralph demanded DeHaven be fired

If you were sick of the CB 10 yard cushion and conservative bend and don't break defense then you would be sicker if Cottrell is our next DC.

Hell of a guy, his players loved him but if you want and attacking D he's not the guy for the job. But that is not the worst part, the last couple of years he has been DC, with arguably talented players, he couldn't get the job done even with that brand of defense.

I would be disapointed if he's named DC.

2) To divert blame from his own fat ass, Wade makes DeHaven the 'scapegoat' for the fiasco and fires Bruce, states his intention to take more responsibility for Special Teams himself, then proceeds to replace DeHaven with Wade's unqualified crony, Ronnie Jones

3) Bills overall record plummets from 11-5 in '99 to 8-8 in 2000, largely in part to disastrous Special Teams performance under Jones

4) Ralph insists Wade fire Ronnie Jones (not Bruce DeHaven) as a condition of Wade's own continued employment

6) Ralph claims Wade 'quit' - or was insubordinate - and refuses to pay Wade for the remainder of his contract

8) Wade moves on to Atlanta, San Diego, and finally to Dallas where his daughter Tracy becomes an exotic dancer and ersatz actress, winning bit parts in films such as Charlie Wilson's War...

Now THIS is information I can sink my teeth into! :wallbash:

you forgot 1. Wade benches Flutie for the final regular season game, and then the first game of the playoffs causing the team to lose 'Music City Miracle' game.