Cortez as QB coach, possibility of Garcia as QB?

Red

Question: With the CFL's Calgary offensive coordinator Cortez now being rumored to being close to signing with the Bills, and with his success in developing Flutie, Garcia, Brooks, and Boller, and with our current need for a true starting QB, does anyone see perhaps a slight chance of Jeff Garcia being signed for perhaps 2 years until we develop/draft "the future"?

I've always loved Garcia, and minus his stint in Cleveland he has lit it up everywhere he has been.

He would atleast be the same as McNabb, he would be better than Troy Smith, and he would- IMO- be a much better and bigger help than Vick.

He's not being mentioned at all, but when he last played it does not appear that he has lost much (if any) all of these years.

What does everyone think about Jeff Garcia as a short-term solution at QB?

Question: With the CFL's Calgary offensive coordinator Cortez now being rumored to being close to signing with the Bills, and with his success in developing Flutie, Garcia, Brooks, and Boller, and with our current need for a true starting QB, does anyone see perhaps a slight chance of Jeff Garcia being signed for perhaps 2 years until we develop/draft "the future"?

I've always loved Garcia, and minus his stint in Cleveland he has lit it up everywhere he has been.

He would atleast be the same as McNabb, he would be better than Troy Smith, and he would- IMO- be a much better and bigger help than Vick.

He's not being mentioned at all, but when he last played it does not appear that he has lost much (if any) all of these years.

I for one would not mind this at all. Garcia is a veteran with a proven track record. If he has enough left in his tank, he would be an improvement over both Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Brian Brohm is still intriguing to me. He seems to fit the Buddy Nix quote "If he did well in High School and he did well in college, he will probably do well in the pros." Brohm was a stud in High School and at Louisville he was one of the top QB's in the country. I watched him in college and never thought that Buffalo would have a shot at drafting him with all the other needs and with Edwards the supposed QB of the future. I think he certainly has a ways to go in developing into a pro QB, but he certainly has the ability. Should be fun to see what Cortez thinks of him.

Garcia must be 40 years old by now, no? Is he even still in the league?

I'd rather sign Jerry Garcia

... Brian Brohm is still intriguing to me. He seems to fit the Buddy Nix quote "If he did well in High School and he did well in college, he will probably do well in the pros." Brohm was a stud in High School and at Louisville he was one of the top QB's in the country. I watched him in college and never thought that Buffalo would have a shot at drafting him with all the other needs and with Edwards the supposed QB of the future. I think he certainly has a ways to go in developing into a pro QB, but he certainly has the ability. Should be fun to see what Cortez thinks of him.

That GB, who drafted Brohm in the 2nd round a couple years ago, had him on their practice squad is a giant clue that the

Packers didn't think that Brohm had a future in the NFL. Now, teams do make mistakes in evaluating young players, but think how little they must have thought of him to put a recent 2nd round pick on the practice squad. Teams don't like to admit mistakes with high round picks, especially so soon after drafting him.

Maybe Brohm got a raw deal in GB, I don't know, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him. Sure, let him compete for the job, but he can't be Plan A.

But at the time I don't think they were certain about Rodgers, that's why they drafted Brohm. Once they saw Rodgers was doing well Brohm had little chance of starting as Rodgers with 3 years experience was too far ahead for a rookie to beat him out.

So Brohm drops to #2. That's where it gets tricky. Instead he falls to #3. What happened, was it a case of sulking? Maybe he was made some promises in rookie camp of being given a fair shot to start and his eyes that shot never came, so then he lost interest?? Who knows?? We do know that Green Bay did offer Brohm the same contract ass the Bills did, but he elected to sign with the Bills as he felt more chance to play. That does say that Green Bay still felt he had value, enough to pay him a fair amount to be a #3 guy? So I wouldn't say he doesn't have a shot.

It's kind of what happened in San Diago with Rivers. I doubt they ever would have drafted him if they had known Brees was going to become the QB he did. They still could have made the trade with the Giants, but instead selected position players with that pick, or traded down again for more picks. They did trade Brees, but didn't get anywhere the value that the #4 overall pick would have been worth. In my opinion if they had traded down with the Giants, kept Breese and signed postion players or traded further down, they would have had the biggest dynesty in the league when you consider how good they are right now, but now add at least one more top level position player.

And for anyonew who questions the value of the overall #4 pick i nthe draft.........

remember Mike Williams!!! :blink:

That GB, who drafted Brohm in the 2nd round a couple years ago, had him on their practice squad is a giant clue that the

Packers didn't think that Brohm had a future in the NFL. Now, teams do make mistakes in evaluating young players, but think how little they must have thought of him to put a recent 2nd round pick on the practice squad. Teams don't like to admit mistakes with high round picks, especially so soon after drafting him.

Maybe Brohm got a raw deal in GB, I don't know, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him. Sure, let him compete for the job, but he can't be Plan A.

I for one wanted teh Bills to sign him the day he was cut from Oakland.

It's kind of what happened in San Diago with Rivers. I doubt they ever would have drafted him if they had known Brees was going to become the QB he did. They still could have made the trade with the Giants, but instead selected position players with that pick, or traded down again for more picks. They did trade Brees, but didn't get anywhere the value that the #4 overall pick would have been worth.

Just for accuracy (although maybe you just mistyped): SD drafted Eli Manning #1 and traded him for the Giants' #4, Rivers. SD did NOT trade Brees. He played out his option and signed with NO as a free agent.

Yes, that was what I meant, SD traded with the Giants, Manning and picks for Rivers. Supposedly they were trying to make the trade prior to the draft but ran out of time so ended up drafting Manning then tading as you stated.

As far as Brees going to NO, I thought SD franchised him then traded him?? Could be mistaken??

Just for accuracy (although maybe you just mistyped): SD drafted Eli Manning #1 and traded him for the Giants' #4, Rivers. SD did NOT trade Brees. He played out his option and signed with NO as a free agent.

As far as Brees going to NO, I thought SD franchised him then traded him?? Could be mistaken??

Per the Saints website:

CAREER TRANSACTIONS – Signed to six-year contract with Saints, (UFA), 3/16/06; Re-signed by San Diego Chargers to one-year contract as Franchise Player, 3/4/05; Designated Franchise Player by San Diego, 2/22/05; Selected by San Diego in the second round (32nd overall) of 2001 NFL Draft.

So he was franchised for a year but signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent the year after that.

Per the Saints website:

CAREER TRANSACTIONS – Signed to six-year contract with Saints, (UFA), 3/16/06; Re-signed by San Diego Chargers to one-year contract as Franchise Player, 3/4/05; Designated Franchise Player by San Diego, 2/22/05; Selected by San Diego in the second round (32nd overall) of 2001 NFL Draft.

So he was franchised for a year but signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent the year after that.

The things I spend my time doing when there's no football to watch . . .

But at the time I don't think they were certain about Rodgers, that's why they drafted Brohm. Once they saw Rodgers was doing well Brohm had little chance of starting as Rodgers with 3 years experience was too far ahead for a rookie to beat him out.

So Brohm drops to #2. That's where it gets tricky. Instead he falls to #3. What happened, was it a case of sulking? Maybe he was made some promises in rookie camp of being given a fair shot to start and his eyes that shot never came, so then he lost interest?? Who knows?? We do know that Green Bay did offer Brohm the same contract ass the Bills did, but he elected to sign with the Bills as he felt more chance to play. That does say that Green Bay still felt he had value, enough to pay him a fair amount to be a #3 guy? So I wouldn't say he doesn't have a shot.

It's kind of what happened in San Diago with Rivers. I doubt they ever would have drafted him if they had known Brees was going to become the QB he did. They still could have made the trade with the Giants, but instead selected position players with that pick, or traded down again for more picks. They did trade Brees, but didn't get anywhere the value that the #4 overall pick would have been worth. In my opinion if they had traded down with the Giants, kept Breese and signed postion players or traded further down, they would have had the biggest dynesty in the league when you consider how good they are right now, but now add at least one more top level position player.

And for anyonew who questions the value of the overall #4 pick i nthe draft.........

remember Mike Williams!!! :blink:

The only shot he's got is H1N1.

Green Bay wanted a #3 guy for insurance. All trying to match the Bills offer says is that they preferred to have that insurance as a guy who already knew the system. If they thought enough of him they would have offered more than the 1 1/3 year contract at minumum. So what did they do after Brohm left, they signed Mike Reilly to the PS. Then when St. Louis signed Reilly, they signed Chris Pizzotti to the PS. Then in January they signed Pizzotti to the roster. Bottom line-GB wanted 3 QBs for insurance, nothing more.

To even mention Brian Brohm in the same thread as Rivers is more than an insult to Rivers. Rivers was a #4 pick in the entire draft. Can you imagine if SD had gone with Brees & put Rivers on the trading block what Rivers would have yielded in a trade? Now compare thart to Brohm, who 31 teams could have had for the price of a waiver claim and just said NO.

The same GB team who had Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and a Division I powerhouse program's qb, John David Booty ahead of him. He needs more then 3 days in an offense to make a decision on him. Yeah there were some issues when he came out of the draft (thought he deserved a starting job) which can be hard to shake when your with the same team. I don't mind a leader who thinks he belongs, he just needs to prove it.

The same GB team who had Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and a Division I powerhouse program's qb, John David Booty ahead of him. He needs more then 3 days in an offense to make a decision on him. Yeah there were some issues when he came out of the draft (thought he deserved a starting job) which can be hard to shake when your with the same team. I don't mind a leader who thinks he belongs, he just needs to prove it.

didn't booty get drafted by the vikings, then cut when they signed favre?

yes Garcia would be a wise move. Garcia, Fitzpatrick and Brohm with a view toward developing/playing Brohm

I would be very happy with this. Let Garcia start and give the coaches time with Brohm to decide if he can be the future starter. If not, look to the draft next year to find that guy (basically do what the Jets did and find a way to get they guy you want), maybe Locker or Mallet.

Good God, you sure can read alot out something that wasn't said. Let me try again and make it clearer to you.

All I was trying to say was Green Bay drafted Brohn because at the time, they had no idea how good or bad Rodgers was going to be. If they had known, do you think they would have used a #2 pick on a QB to be a backup, I doubt it.

OK, I'll play along, so after Rivers first year in the league which was spent as a back up to Brees, they decided to go with Brees and trade Rivers. What would he have brought in a trade?? Essentially he was selected 4th overall. Was he worth that much a year later when he hadn't played at all? I highly doubt it. You seem to be confused between Rivers one year in the league and no playing time to show for it, and where he is today. I know it's hard to seperate the two, but try it for a minute. Couple that with the fact that the other 31 teams knew SD was not in a position of strength to trade Rivers. I think SD may have been lucky to get a low 1st rounder for him at that point.

As far as 31 other teams not selecting Brohm off waivers, one of the reasons he stated he signed with the Bills was he felt he'd have a better chance to play. Having said that, it's quite possible he may have informed many of the other teams he wasn't interested in going there as he didn't feel he'd have a good shot to play. For example, would he have wanted to go to Indy and back-up Peyton Manning, probably not.

Do I know Brohm is goign to be good, no. But the fact the Green Bay let him go doesn't mean a whole lot either.

The only shot he's got is H1N1.

Green Bay wanted a #3 guy for insurance. All trying to match the Bills offer says is that they preferred to have that insurance as a guy who already knew the system. If they thought enough of him they would have offered more than the 1 1/3 year contract at minumum. So what did they do after Brohm left, they signed Mike Reilly to the PS. Then when St. Louis signed Reilly, they signed Chris Pizzotti to the PS. Then in January they signed Pizzotti to the roster. Bottom line-GB wanted 3 QBs for insurance, nothing more.

To even mention Brian Brohm in the same thread as Rivers is more than an insult to Rivers. Rivers was a #4 pick in the entire draft. Can you imagine if SD had gone with Brees & put Rivers on the trading block what Rivers would have yielded in a trade? Now compare thart to Brohm, who 31 teams could have had for the price of a waiver claim and just said NO.

The only way that would work is if they turn the Bills offense into the West Coast offense. The only time he played with a normal offense it was a terrible failure in Cleveland. Plus, with a year off and at his age, probably would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I knew he was franchised one year, I thought SD did it again the second year, apparently not. So they got nothing for him then, other than an old Brees Jersey to sell.

Per the Saints website:

loved garcia..but that ship has sailed..woulda been perfect 4 yrs ago

The only way that would work is if they turn the Bills offense into the West Coast offense. The only time he played with a normal offense it was a terrible failure in Cleveland. Plus, with a year off and at his age, probably would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Technically, he didn't have the year off, he was cut by Oakland and then signed with the Iggles. Was pretty much a clipboard holder at that point.

I still say he's got some in the tank. Especially since he didn't take a beating at all this year.

Technically, he didn't have the year off, he was cut by Oakland and then signed with the Iggles. Was pretty much a clipboard holder at that point.

I still say he's got some in the tank. Especially since he didn't take a beating at all this year.

He was only on the Eagles roster for the first couple weeks of the season until Vick suspension was over. After that he was out of football.

As far as 31 other teams not selecting Brohm off waivers, one of the reasons he stated he signed with the Bills was he felt he'd have a better chance to play. Having said that, it's quite possible he may have informed many of the other teams he wasn't interested in going there as he didn't feel he'd have a good shot to play. For example, would he have wanted to go to Indy and back-up Peyton Manning, probably not.

Wow! That has to be the worst excuse ever used in defending Brohm. He was on waivers before opening day. Waived players don't go around informing teams not to claim them if they don't have a shot to play-especially if they have yet to play a friggin down in the NFL. Now I'm still trying to follow your premise: So after informing teams not to put in a waiver claim he then clears waivers and signs with the same team's practice squad that he doesn't have much of a shot to play with. :blink: