King on J. Greer

LABills08

5. I think Jabari Greer is the poor man's Darrelle Revis. I will guarantee you that one of the first things Peyton Manning will do this week as he gathers video to watch to prep for the Super Bowl is study Greer, who he hasn't seen very much as a Buffalo corner before leaving for the Saints in free-agency.

Way to go Bills.

We gave Greer plenty of chances and he just didn't fit in our system, it happens all the time in the NFL. It not like we didn't give him a chance or he didn't play hard for us he just fits in better in NO.

Who had the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL this year? Not the Saints with Greer.

It actually is way to go Bills in a good way...

We gave Greer plenty of chances and he just didn't fit in our system, it happens all the time in the NFL. It not like we didn't give him a chance or he didn't play hard for us he just fits in better in NO.

:P

That's... not what happened at all.

Greer developed for a few years in spot duty and when pressed into it, arguably was a better cover CB than McGee. For the life of me, I don't get how you can write that Greer "didn't fit" the D.

Then, the FO let him sign elsewhere w/o making a serious enough offer. Not saying this was the wrong move. Indeed, the Bills' cup runneth over in the secondary --- to the detriment of just about every other position. And yet, Jauron et al kept drafting CBs/Ss with shocking regularity.

Didn't fit our system??? The Bills had a legitimate offer on the table (even after drafting McKelvin) that he declined to sign. Amazing to me how people try justify the loss of players. Didn't fit the system. :P

The last two years for us Greer started to come into his own. There were many around the board that wanted to see the money spent to keep Greer and let McGee walk after this year. He fit our system fine, it's just he didn't fit into Wilson's checkbook with the guys we already had. They weren't going to pay him 7 million per to be a spot starter or NB. I'm happy for Jabari and hope he gets a ring out of his move.

Greer developed for a few years in spot duty and when pressed into it, arguably was a better cover CB than McGee. For the life of me, I don't get how you can write that Greer "didn't fit" the D.

Then, the FO let him sign elsewhere w/o making a serious enough offer. Not saying this was the wrong move. Indeed, the Bills' cup runneth over in the secondary --- to the detriment of just about every other position. And yet, Jauron et al kept drafting CBs/Ss with shocking regularity.

Greer played great for us. I am sick of watching our front office letting our best players walk, and then drafting chumps. Pat Williams, Greer, Antoine Winfield, Jim Leonhard, Sam Aiken- every playoff game I watch there are ex Bills making plays. No wonder we have been awful the past decade

Greer played great for us. I am sick of watching our front office letting our best players walk, and then drafting chumps. Pat Williams, Greer, Antoine Winfield, Jim Leonhard, Sam Aiken- every playoff game I watch there are ex Bills making plays. No wonder we have been awful the past decade

But you can say that about most teams in the league, players move on all the time and no team is made up with all their own picks

But you can say that about most teams in the league, players move on all the time and no team is made up with all their own picks

Yesterday, out of 44 players who started in the AFC and NFC championship games 4 ex Bills started and made huge contributions in their games. You cannot say that about any team. And it is ridiculous the Bills, a team that is lacking enough talent to win, lets important players go. That is 10% of the starters yesterday. No wonder we have not made the playoffs for so long

Who had the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL this year? Not the Saints with Greer.

It actually is way to go Bills in a good way...

Of course we had a good pass defense rating. Opponents had no reason to pass when they could run at will.

Yesterday, out of 44 players who started in the AFC and NFC championship games 4 ex Bills started and made huge contributions in their games. You cannot say that about any team. And it is ridiculous the Bills, a team that is lacking enough talent to win, lets important players go. That is 10% of the starters yesterday. No wonder we have not made the playoffs for so long

88 players started yesterday. And only 1 is going to the SB. How many ex-Bills were in the CG's last year?

Yup, this was a money thing. Greer fit fine into our system. We just didn't offer him market rate.

A lot of the reason we didn't is that we had already drafted McKelvin, Greer's replacement.

Assuming that we had to get rid of Peters (and I don't, but let's put that aside), who thinks we would have been a better team last year and into the future if we had re-upped Greer, freeing us to spend the McKelvin pick on ... oh, I don't know, who was the next player picked after McKelvin? Oh, yeah, Clady. Would we be a better team with Greer, Clady and no McKelvin? Can you find anyone to say no?

5. I think Jabari Greer is the poor man's Darrelle Revis. I will guarantee you that one of the first things Peyton Manning will do this week as he gathers video to watch to prep for the Super Bowl is study Greer, who he hasn't seen very much as a Buffalo corner before leaving for the Saints in free-agency.

Way to go Bills.

Wasnt so terrible.greer to anyone with a brain--is a very talented football player.Just so happens we have a lot of talent at DB.

Didn't fit our system??? The Bills had a legitimate offer on the table (even after drafting McKelvin) that he declined to sign. Amazing to me how people try justify the loss of players. Didn't fit the system. :P

Greer signed for around $7 mil / year.

He is now ranked by profootballfocus.com as the 7th best CB in the league this year, with the third-best "Percentage Caught" (percentage of receptions made of throws into the player's coverage) in the league, and extremely close to second-best. Revis is first by a country mile. Greer is also 6th best in NFL rating, the standard CB rating, and he's .6% away from 4th. Again, Revis is first by 8%, a huge margin, over the #2.

Link for the stats: http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

We offered him somewhere around $5 to $6 mil. Our offer wasn't market value, not even close.

Yup, this was a money thing. Greer fit fine into our system. We just didn't offer him market rate.

A lot of the reason we didn't is that we had already drafted McKelvin, Greer's replacement.

Assuming that we had to get rid of Peters (and I don't, but let's put that aside), who thinks we would have been a better team last year and into the future if we had re-upped Greer, freeing us to spend the McKelvin pick on ... oh, I don't know, who was the next player picked after McKelvin? Oh, yeah, Clady. Would we be a better team with Greer, Clady and no McKelvin? Can you find anyone to say no?

I was screaming for Brandon Albert that day. I couldn't (still can't) see the logic behind the McKelvin pick. We had tons of CBs that year and as usual very poor depth on the OL.

And for the record McGee is a better all-around CB than Greer, who in turn is better than McKelvin.

It's harder to make that statement these days.

Greer is 7th out of 107. McGee is 75th out of 107, with "percentage complete" and "NFL Rating" figures far below Greer's.

Same link: http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

And the Saints had 35 sacks and the Bills had 32, pretty comparable pressure on the QB, so you can't use extra pressure on the QB as an excuse for our CBs.

Greer's offer from the Bills was $20 million over 5 years no details were ever realeased as to the bonus money. Looking back on the entire situation the Bills woud've been better off resigning Greer a year sooner and then never drafting McKelvin. In this scenario we still have Greer and whomever the Bills like in the 2008 draft beside McKelvin (perhaps Ryan Clady). But.......when teams fail to retain their own home-grown talent, you end up making your picks based more so on needs rather than talent.

There is no way Jabari Greer turns down 5 years $20 million if the Bills had offered it the year prior, no way. When you let a guy get 1 day away from FA before you make an offer you've lost all bargaining power. Why the Bills don't understand this is beyond me.