King on J. Greer

LABills08

5. I think Jabari Greer is the poor man's Darrelle Revis. I will guarantee you that one of the first things Peyton Manning will do this week as he gathers video to watch to prep for the Super Bowl is study Greer, who he hasn't seen very much as a Buffalo corner before leaving for the Saints in free-agency.

Way to go Bills.

Jesus Christ...

And for the record McGee is a better all-around CB than Greer, who in turn is better than McKelvin.

At least you're not jumping the gun a little bit on Leodis... :P

Greer played great for us. I am sick of watching our front office letting our best players walk, and then drafting chumps. Pat Williams, Greer, Antoine Winfield, Jim Leonhard, Sam Aiken- every playoff game I watch there are ex Bills making plays. No wonder we have been awful the past decade

Jesus Christ, people. Jim Leonhard is nothing special, Sam Aiken is a terrible WR who looked serviceable when catching passes from a HOF QB, and Greer - as much as I like the guy - is being promoted as the next Champ Bailey on this board. Get a grip, people.

Yup, this was a money thing. Greer fit fine into our system. We just didn't offer him market rate.

A lot of the reason we didn't is that we had already drafted McKelvin, Greer's replacement.

Assuming that we had to get rid of Peters (and I don't, but let's put that aside), who thinks we would have been a better team last year and into the future if we had re-upped Greer, freeing us to spend the McKelvin pick on ... oh, I don't know, who was the next player picked after McKelvin? Oh, yeah, Clady. Would we be a better team with Greer, Clady and no McKelvin? Can you find anyone to say no?

Any why did we draft McKelvin? Because Greer hadn't shown he could be a starter by that point, despite having ample opportunity to do so.

And yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Show me the thread from 2007/2008 where you wanted to draft Ryan Clady, being the top scout that you are. Otherwise quit your bitching.

Greer signed for around $7 mil / year.

He is now ranked by profootballfocus.com as the 7th best CB in the league this year, with the third-best "Percentage Caught" (percentage of receptions made of throws into the player's coverage) in the league, and extremely close to second-best. Revis is first by a country mile. Greer is also 6th best in NFL rating, the standard CB rating, and he's .6% away from 4th. Again, Revis is first by 8%, a huge margin, over the #2.

Link for the stats: http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

We offered him somewhere around $5 to $6 mil. Our offer wasn't market value, not even close.

Do you ever think for yourself, or do you just let that website think for you?

Greer started eight games this season. Is he worth that $7M for those eight games? How did New Orleans do without him in the lineup? The man-love for Jabari is insane around here, I don't get it. I watched him play when he was with Buffalo. He was a serviceable corner, not flashy, instinctive, and bizzarely athletic like Revis, Bailey, Asoughma and his counterparts, but a solid #3 who could definitely give you some games on the outside. But he's not shutting down anybody.

I was screaming for Brandon Albert that day. I couldn't (still can't) see the logic behind the McKelvin pick. We had tons of CBs that year and as usual very poor depth on the OL.

In 2008? What are you talking about? We had terrible depth at CB. Greer was completely unproven at that point, Youboty was not even supposed to make it out of training camp, and Will James (Peterson) didn't make it out of training camp.

It's harder to make that statement these days.

Greer is 7th out of 107. McGee is 75th out of 107, with "percentage complete" and "NFL Rating" figures far below Greer's.

Same link: http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

And the Saints had 35 sacks and the Bills had 32, pretty comparable pressure on the QB, so you can't use extra pressure on the QB as an excuse for our CBs.

Again, don't think for yourself on this one.

There are a ton of different variables as to why Greer and McGee are hard to compare. Completely different schemes with completely different offenses to affect the other teams' play-calling. The amount of sacks for either team is irrelevant. Both were hurt and neither one of them proved to be much of a ball-hawk this year (of course Jabari's never been one, but that's neither here nor there).

There's an old football addage that says the farther away you are from the ball the less important you are. The Patriots won for years with completely injury-riddled secondaries (remember Troy Brown anyone?). The Giants won the 2007 Super Bowl with dinosaurs R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison in there, with rookie Aaron Ross. I don't think I could name a CB on the '06 Colts. Letting a guy like Greer walk doesn't ruin the Bills. It's a lack of a pass rush that does.

Greer's offer from the Bills was $20 million over 5 years no details were ever realeased as to the bonus money. Looking back on the entire situation the Bills woud've been better off resigning Greer a year sooner and then never drafting McKelvin. In this scenario we still have Greer and whomever the Bills like in the 2008 draft beside McKelvin (perhaps Ryan Clady). But.......when teams fail to retain their own home-grown talent, you end up making your picks based more so on needs rather than talent.

There is no way Jabari Greer turns down 5 years $20 million if the Bills had offered it the year prior, no way. When you let a guy get 1 day away from FA before you make an offer you've lost all bargaining power. Why the Bills don't understand this is beyond me.

so true. but of course these are the mistakes of poor franchises.