Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching the press conference and was feeling much better about Chan Gaily as head coach. Then I read this. Wow. Now I don't know what to think.

You know that Cowher came back almost 3 times when he refused the Bills wishes to hire him as coach... Each time, he highly recommended Chan knowing that he himself (Cowher) wasn't going to be the coach.

This hiring is directly on Cowher's suggestion.

"If you can't have me... Take Chan!"

Marty with the Raiders??? I guess you're not aware of his hatred for that organization.

Marty wasn't interested in any job until now. At least if you believe the multiple reports that he was comfortable with retirement. Therefore, I must admit, I wouldn't bet my house on Tim Graham being right about his interest in the Bills in this instance, but Marty WAS a former Bill who won a championship here. It's possible. And if Graham is right, it was a major mistake to not hire him. People are in love with Marty because he has rebuilt previously struggling franchises many times.

Marty is a master of rebuilding franchises and turning them into very good football teams. He has shown over and over again that he excels at that. Once they are at that point however, he isn't the guy who can get them over taht hump to win a superbowl. I guess the question then becomes, would you be happy with getting to the playoffs every year but making lots of early exits? As of right now, HELL YA!!!!!!

I think Ralph did not want someone who will disagree with him and get in HIS face and tell him what he is doing by meddling is hurting the team. Ralph just wants a bunch of yes men who think he is wonderful.

Rebuff a 14-2 coach cause you are not comfortable with him is loser talk

yeah i get that, completely....i also posted several blog entries from a simple google search refuting that Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job 'badly' and Marty Schottenheimer and his son, and perhaps Buddy Nix were all named in the blogs.....why isn't that as credible as what Tim Graham posted?????

Are you really this credulous? I'll pretend you are.

Sometimes people in public positions say things to protect their image, and to give themselves plausible deniability if something goes wrong. Off the record stories are frequently more truthful and reliable than on the record quotes for this very reason.

i have wanted Marty since day one.......but he should have at least hinted that he wanted the job......it would have given fans a chance to support the choice ....instead of everyone just dismissing it by saying he doesn't want the job. oh well, that ship has sailed.

i am happy with Chan Gailey....he is very similar to marty in that he has helped improve every team he has been on.

Chan is an outstanding choice.

coaching is over rated.......the most important guy is the one who picks the players(Nix).

you take Perry Fewell and the old coaches and give them the 10 pro-bowlers from minnesota....and bang, we make the playoffs. coaches don't execute plays, players do.

i also want to say that Chan Gailey is a significantly better Offensive Coordinator than Brian Schottenheimer.

Marty with the Raiders??? I guess you're not aware of his hatred for that organization.

Marty wasn't interested in any job until now. At least if you believe the multiple reports that he was comfortable with retirement. Therefore, I must admit, I wouldn't bet my house on Tim Graham being right about his interest in the Bills in this instance, but Marty WAS a former Bill who won a championship here. It's possible. And if Graham is right, it was a major mistake to not hire him. People are in love with Marty because he has rebuilt previously struggling franchises many times. He'd be perfect for Buffalo.

Exactly. Thanks for the link. Anybody that suggests Marty would work for Al Davis doesn't know what they are talking about.

For me, Shottenheimer to Buffalo would have been a clear indication that Ralph was stepping back and going to give it one last honest try. Marty doesn't take the job without full control, which explains the "uncomfortable" part. He would be a total culture change and demand things be done his way and turn the franchise on its head. He's done it time and time again everywhere he has been. That is the sort of vision that this team desperately needs. Not a vision of "Gee, we need some luck, let's rub this rabbit's foot some more. Hey, is that a lucky penny?!" Marty is like Parcells. He may not send a team straight to the Super Bowl, but he can sure bring back respectability, which is something this franchise doesn't have.

Raider-ish, indeed.

This just shows that Ralph and his cronies are about maintaining their power structure. Fielding a competitive NFL franchise is a secondary concern and whether it happens or not is turned over to nothing but dumb luck. Same as it ever was.

This is why Wilson has to go. Meddling old bast!@# makes this decision. He wont be around long enough to see nix win anything. Please sell the team. As a fan, I'm sick of our city having to suffer because this old coot makes the rules. I wont be renewing my seasons.

For the last time... Cowher refused to get back into coaching... He refused the Bills... Yet, basically acted as a consultant on WHO the Bills should hire... You know who that was (Cowher as consultant on who the Bills should hire)?

Chan Gailey.

My God people get over it... It is a freaking sports team!

:thumbsup::ph34r:

and that is why i posted a series of blog entries that date back to before thanksgiving where marty's desire to coaching was virtually non-existent....but no one seems to be buying that side of the story...they want to wish 'dirt naps' on the owner of the bills for being a horrible owner

Are you really this credulous? I'll pretend you are.

Sometimes people in public positions say things to protect their image, and to give themselves plausible deniability if something goes wrong. Off the record stories are frequently more truthful and reliable than on the record quotes for this very reason.

i am glad that ralph is thinking for himself and not listening to fans....ralph has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know, collectively...if he was uncomfortable with Schottenheimer, then that is good enough for me....its been 3 years since he was a coach anywhere...has to be a reason for that....

Yeah, because Wilson has recently shown he deserves the benefit of the doubt. You know, since he routinely puts a winner on the field these days...

After seeing Marty's "control issues" in Washington (and probably San Diego)...I would not have hired him either. Not sure why so many here are in love with this guy? It's like Bills fans always love the guy they don't grab. I can see Cowher, but Marty? c'mon. He was such a control freak in DC that he assigned parking spaces for even the administrative people. If it was my team, i would not hire that douche. I don't get why so many are flipping out over this?!?!?

cowher didnt make brain farts 100% of the time in the playoffs like marty. marty is an over the hill loser. theres a reason no one wants him ... HE SUCKS

Cowher and his Steelers had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs 6 times and lost 5 times. Unbelievable, but true.

The Bills, San Diego, Denver and NE(twice) all upset his top ranked Steelers at home in the playoffs. The one he did win, he needed a couple big breaks at the end to beat a 6th seed, Jim Harbaugh-lead Indy team that was a huge underdog. Quentin Coryatt dropped a would-be game winning interception on the final Steelers drive and then a Colts receiver actually dropped the game winning TD in the endzone as time expired.

Basically, if Roethlisberger doesn't tackle that Colt db(Nick Harper) in the waning seconds of that divisonal playoff game Cowher never wins that one SB and probably is remembered as the other Marty.

The one thing Marty has in his favor is having won at all stops. Cowher......who knows if he can turn around a franchise? He was handed the keys to a great organization and did an outstanding job. Marty could have had worse jobs, but he never had a job like Pittsburgh.

Cowher and his Steelers had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs 6 times and lost 5 times. Unbelievable, but true.

The Bills, San Diego, Denver and NE(twice) all upset his top ranked Steelers at home in the playoffs. The one he did win, he needed a couple big breaks at the end to beat a 6th seed, Jim Harbaugh-lead Indy team that was a huge underdog. Quentin Coryatt dropped a would-be game winning interception on the final Steelers drive and then a Colts receiver actually dropped the game winning TD in the endzone as time expired.

Basically, if Roethlisberger doesn't tackle that Colt db(Nick Harper) in the waning seconds of that divisonal playoff game Cowher never wins that one SB and probably is remembered as the other Marty.

The one thing Marty has in his favor is having won at all stops. Cowher......who knows if he can turn around a franchise? He was handed the keys to a great organization and did an outstanding job. Marty could have had worse jobs, but he never had a job like Pittsburgh.

cowher didnt make the bonehead play calls marty did. cowhers been to 2 super bowls, and won 1. thats 2 and 1 better than marty brain farty

I also do not get why people are automatically believing this. Just because Tim Graham said it? The AFC East blogger for ESPN? Please. He has been right at the top of unsubstantiated rumour mongering over the past week. Get some perspective people.

That aside, I never liked Marty as a coach. He was an absolute disaster in DC - control freak extraordinaire. This would not be a good fit. Move on.