Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wait people want a guy who for the last 3 years has been saying he is retired and happy there? Either Marty was offered a bunch of coaching gigs the last 3 years and turned them all down or nobody wanted him.

Either way the Bills lose. At least we got a guy who seems to be excited about the job. He showed emotion today that we haven't seen in years.

Evidently, Schottenheimer wanted the job, but Wilson pulled the chicken switch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...anted-bills-gig

You know, I've tried, relentlessly, to be nice to Ralph Wilson. He's kept the franchise here.

But passing on Schottenheimer is a pathetic, stupid, miserable mistake, Flat out moronic. That guy could have had us deep in the playoffs in two years max. That is just crap.

I'd like you to elaborate on the bolded statement. Let's compare Schottenheimer and Gailey across the dimensions most important for head coaches:

1. Quality of offensive scheme/coaching. I remember that Schottenheimer's teams were considered unimaginative and predictable on offense while he was in KC. Gailey is a very solid and creative offensive coordinator. Gailey wins this one, unless there's some favorable aspect to Schottenheimer's offenses I'm missing.

2. Quality of defensive scheme/coaching. I'm guessing that the advantage here goes to Schottenheimer, but could be wrong.

3. Quality of special teams schemes/coaching. Unknown.

4. Ability to motivate players, create a disciplined environment, etc. Schottenheimer seems like he's strong in that area. I've heard good things about Gailey in that respect, from a Dallas fan. (That fan pointed out Gailey got Nate Newton to lose 100 pounds, and did a lot of other good things.) This could be a wash, but more information is needed.

5. Quality of game day decisions. I think that both coaches are decent, but not great, in that area.

Looking at the above list, I don't see what specific aspects of the head coaching responsibilities Schottenheimer would execute "infinitely better" than Gailey will. If Gailey can get his hands on a good defensive coordinator to implement the switch to a 3-4, this could be a well-coached team! :blink:

Edit: In 2001, the Chargers drafted Drew Brees. Schottenheimer became the coach in 2002. By 2004, the Chargers had seen enough of Drew Brees to have become convinced he was not the answer. They ended up using the fourth overall pick on Philip Rivers (via trade).

While Drew Brees was languishing under a Schottenheimer-coached team, Gailey was off making guys like Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen, and Jay Fielder look good. Tyler Thigpen averaged 6.2 yards per pass attempt under Gailey's coaching in 2007, as compared to 5.9 yards per pass attempt for Drew Brees in 2003 on a Schottenheimer-coached team.

Which coach do you think is more likely to fix the Bills' offense: the one who convinced his GM that Drew Brees was not the answer, or the one who whose coaching convinced at least some people that Tyler Thigpen was?

Re: Marty and Brees

You're way off there. In Schottenheimer's last two years in SD, Brees averaged 7.9 and 7.2 YPA, both excellent, and both way way better than Gailey got out of anyone those years. He was hardly languishing. Just the opposite, in fact. When the light came on for Brees, Schottenheimer saw it and played him. It was management (A.J. Smith), not Schottenheimer, who traded Brees.

source Billsdaily.com

Wilson Turns Down Marty Ball? The Bills may have a coach but the rumors aren't stopping. ESPN.com's Tim Graham is reporting that Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job badly but Ralph Wilson didn't want him as the next head coach. Publicly Schottenheimer stated he wasn't interested in returning to coaching but people close to him told ESPN that he wanted the job. It would have reunited him with his good friend Buddy Nix and you would think Nix would have given him the job if Wilson signed off on it. No word on why Wilson didn't want Schottenheimer to coach. This could also explain why is son Brian wouldn't interview for the job.

Ask yourself this... why would you fire a coach after a 14-2 season? The reason they gave was that he wasn't winning in the playoffs. I don't buy that. You just don't dismiss a coach after a 14-2 season without much more going on behind the scenes. When that happened, there was speculation that he and AJ just weren't seeing eye to eye. I just happen to have it on very good authority that it was because he was becoming "increasingly confused" on the sideline.

Believe what you will... I'm just telling you what I know. Look at my posts. I don't speculate and certainly don't spread rumors or false information. You can choose to believe what I've offered or you can dismiss it. I know where I got the info and trust the guy with my life.

I'm gonna believe you because your avatar has the best ass in the known universe, and that, to me, speaks volumes.

i am glad that ralph is thinking for himself and not listening to fans....ralph has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know, collectively...if he was uncomfortable with Schottenheimer, then that is good enough for me....its been 3 years since he was a coach anywhere...has to be a reason for that....

The Poojer, I love you buddy, I really do, but this is possibly the most remarkable post you have made over the years... remarkable in a bad way... I think you are old enough (I think) to know what has been going on with this franchise for the last, well, 4 decades or so... you are giving Ralph Wilson far too much credit... so, if there "has to be a reason" that Marty hasn't been an NFL coach for the last 3 years, what, in your homer estimation, is the legitimate reason we should be excited about Chan Gailey, who hasn't been an NFL coach in a decade?

Re: Marty and Brees

You're way off there. In Schottenheimer's last two years in SD, Brees averaged 7.9 and 7.2 YPA, both excellent, and both way way better than Gailey got out of anyone those years. He was hardly languishing. Just the opposite, in fact. When the light came on for Brees, Schottenheimer saw it and played him. It was management (A.J. Smith), not Schottenheimer, who traded Brees.

My earlier point was about Brees' poor play in 2002 and 2003--when Schottenheimer was his head coach. Brees' rookie year was in 2001. By the time he started playing well (in 2004), he was going into his fourth year! A coaching staff should be able to bring a quarterback along faster than that, especially when the quarterback in question is a Drew Brees.

I'll grant that Brees started playing well eventually with Schottenheimer as his coach.

To respond to your point about Brees looking better than the guys Gailey coached: a chef is only as good as his ingredients. If you give Chan Gailey guys like Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen, etc., how much is there the man can realistically do? I'd argue that, given the quality of the ingredients he'd been handed, Gailey did everything one could expect and more. Kordell Stewart had his one good year under Gailey's tutelage. Thigpen's success--such as it was--came under Gailey. Fiedler had his best year--2001--while Gailey was his offensive coordinator.

Gailey made bad quarterbacks look better than they really were.

Ok, at first I was pissed like everyone else...

Then I thought about it, Nix is friends with SD GM A.J.Smith and worked for him at San Diego as a scout. Now if any of you recall, Marty was fired in SD because he couldn't get along with A.J.Smith.

Now if your Nix would you want Marty as your HC, I think not.

I don't get the Marty love around here. I know he made the playoffs, but his teams were always so darn tight once they got there. One of the worst big game coaches ever.

Losing out on Brain is another matter though. Would have been nice to see what he'd do with this job.

So do you *suckers* still want to bash those who have had enough of this and are moving on? Take a look in the mirror.

Einstein once opined that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Get some medication folks.

* I apologize for the name calling, but have had enough of this madness.

Actually, in that game against NE, Schottenheimer decidedly did NOT play not to lose. He went balls out all game, going for it on 4th and 10 in the first quarter. You're wrong.

Yes he did do that in the first quarter, watch the whole game though Dave, as the game got to be tighter in the 2nd half the collar got very tight around Marty's neck. Your the one that is wrong.

Oh, OK. He says he didn't want to return to coaching on his radio show but deep down inside he really did. And the Bills are at fault for not hiring him. Give me a freakin' break.

Tim Graham, Where in this article is there even a mention or quote that he said this. What's your source? Why didn't he mention that on his radio show?

What BS!