Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because all of the problems reported while with the Cowboys sound exactly like the problems the coach we just got rid of had.

-Lack of discipline leading to tons of penalties

-Being too easy going

-Losing close games in the fourth quarter

-Losing numerous games because your team can't score(opponent won 4 times in season scoring 13 points or less)

-Players love him

-Quarterbacks check the ball down too much(Edwards is doing backflips over Gailey's hiring I hear)

-Offense that gets worse as time goes on, not better

Hey! Actual specific criticism; nice work. Now you're cooking with gas! :thumbsup:

Next step is telling us where you got these items?

I have reason to believe this is your new head coach. I am not completely 100%, but would not post it in this manner if I did not think it was credible. There are no links for this information. I know it will be ugly if I am wrong, but I thought you would want the information.

Could be as soon as tomorrow.

Rather interesting....even ""ole"" Jerry Jones admitted a while back

that he now regrets NOT giving the man a longer chance. He will show

more PASSION than "ole stone face" Dick on the sideline but not too

sure he will match that of Fewell's. I'm already dreading the "new" defense

Fewell is preparing the Giants for my Boys.

Any sh-tty journalist can make any candidate look viable. We are a joke. We went from Shanny, to Cowher, to Gruden, to Frazier, to Rivera, to Grimm, to SHotty, to Harbaugh, and it looks like we'll settle with a guy who was last HC in the 90's and was for the majority of the time a college coach and a coach in the World League. For all those who say he "built" something in Dallas, look at the talent around him. We won't have it. I'm done.

Exactly. Some dope with a PC in Kansas City says the Chiefs should hire socks with sandals boy because Cowher, Shanahan, or Parcells won't be coming to KC. So !@#$ing what? Is that supposed to make me feel better about Chan !@#$ING Gailey's chances of making our team competitive?

Hey! Actual specific criticism; nice work. Now you're cooking with gas! :thumbsup:

Next step is telling us where you got these items?

Here is the article...tell me after reading this article if you could basically just switch the names Gailey and Jauron and still be able to write basically the same article...

Jones fires Gailey

Chan Gailey profile (from GA Tech site)

There's a lot to read here, but overall, seems he's been a winner everywhere he went. He deserves a chance, let's hope he can assemble a decent staff.

He deserves a chance just as much as Dick Jauron deserved a chance. Which IMO, is most definitely not.

IMO, if Gailey wanted to be an NFL HC, he should have stayed in the league, worked his way back by leading teams to top offensive showings and then gotten rehired on performance. Instead, he went to the college level and did a pretty mediocre job for 5 seasons considering he was at a decent school and had NFL pedigree(including being a former Cowboys HC in the south) on his side in recruiting. His successor at GA Tech is far more successful.

Truthfully, Gailey is just lucking into this job, he doesn't "deserve" it. If he makes the most of it, great, but his hiring is not justifiable and he is just going to have to deal with the arrows and make the most of it.

At first I was furious. I said to my wife this is the most depressed I felt about the Bills in 20 years. She replied.."I know a lot of Lions fans that just gave up on them and switched teams, why don't you just do that?". I said your really not a Bills fan if you can give up and switch teams....

I might not like this decision, but the worst thing for our franchise right now is to ride him out of town before he arrives.

Here is the article...tell me after reading this article if you could basically just switch the names Gailey and Jauron and still be able to write basically the same article...

Jones fires Gailey

Thanks for the link.

No actually, I don't see strong parallels between Jauron and Gailey's situation in Dallas. It talks about his willingness to radically mix up offensive game plans, something Jauron or our recent OCs didn't do nearly enough. Sure, it says he was too laid back, but not every coach is Rex Ryan. Personally, I think Gailey did a respectable job in Dallas and Jones simply couldn't deal with the reality that his team's dominant era was over.

I can't predict if Gailey will be successful in Buffalo; it depends greatly on if they hire a decent GM and they stop shi--ing the bed on draft day (btw, that is circumventing the language filter). But he has a solid resume as a coach, so honestly I don't understand the need for the ridiculous reaction from a large segment of the board.

He deserves a chance just as much as Dick Jauron deserved a chance. Which IMO, is most definitely not.

IMO, if Gailey wanted to be an NFL HC, he should have stayed in the league, worked his way back by leading teams to top offensive showings and then gotten rehired on performance. Instead, he went to the college level and did a pretty mediocre job for 5 seasons considering he was at a decent school and had NFL pedigree(including being a former Cowboys HC in the south) on his side in recruiting. His successor at GA Tech is far more successful.

Truthfully, Gailey is just lucking into this job, he doesn't "deserve" it. If he makes the most of it, great, but his hiring is not justifiable and he is just going to have to deal with the arrows and make the most of it.

He did stay in the NFL...for 3 preseason games last year with the Chiefs as their OC until he got fired before he even called1 play during the regular season...

Apparently getting fired before the regular season starts qualifies him since he lasted longer than Turk Schonert did...

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link.

No actually, I don't see strong parallels between Jauron and Gailey's situation in Dallas. It talks about his willingness to radically mix up offensive game plans, something Jauron or our recent OCs didn't do nearly enough. Sure, it says he was too laid back, but not every coach is Rex Ryan. Personally, I think Gailey did a respectable job in Dallas and Jones simply couldn't deal with the reality that his team's dominant era was over.

I can't predict if Gailey will be successful in Buffalo; it depends greatly on if they hire a decent GM and they stop shi--ing the bed on draft day (btw, that is circumventing the language filter). But he has a solid resume as a coach, so honestly I don't understand the need for the ridiculous reaction from a large segment of the board.

exactly right on the bolded part.

not sure what you are saying about hiring a GM - didn't they do that already? :thumbsup:

Apparently that won't involve you. I'd like to look back on your opinion of the following....

Hiring Dick Jauron.

J.P. Losman as a starting QB.

Whitner over Ngata.

Trading up for McCargo.

Maybin over Orakpo.

Extending Dick Jauron.

How dare anyone speak out about a club with such a stellar track record! :thumbsup::wallbash::D

Ditto. The Bills have earned pessimism. 10 years with no playoffs ring a bell. 10 years with one winning season ring a bell. 10 years of picks used on Rob Johnson, Mike Williams, JP Losman, Trentative, Roscoe, John McCargo, Whitner, Maybin. 10 years of a personel strategy that involves letting what few All-Pros we do have to walk. Sorry but my optimism tank is low....real low.

exactly right on the bolded part.

not sure what you are saying about hiring a GM - didn't they do that already? :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Oops...that word was supposed to be 'hired'. I know it's crazy, but I'm going to withhold judgement on him too for a while.

Thanks for the link.

because the criticisms of him are virtually identical to Jauron...doesn't win close games, team loses multiple games in a season because they can't score points(13 points or fewer won games against them 4 times), plays poorly on the road, offense regresses over time rather than improves, too laid back as head coach, QBs throwing too many checkdowns, team plays hard for him and doesn't cause locker room issues, and among the lowest paid coaches in the league...

The last point is probably reason #1 Gailey is getting hired...

I might not like this decision, but the worst thing for our franchise right now is to ride him out of town before he arrives.

Your opinion or support or lack thereof won't make one bit of difference. Don't put that on yourself, it's not yours or any other Bills fans fault that we are getting another unqualified HC. This isn't HS or college with all that rah-rah nonsense. If anything, we need a HC who can handle adversity and skepticism is warranted. People don't need to vandalize his yard or anything, but expecting results is not wrong.

And let me clarify my opinion on Gailey. There was a game once where Gailey and his Steelers absolutely took apart Wade Phillips and the Bills dominant defense and I've seldom been so impressed by a game plan. I thought he was the best OC in the game back then. But that was 15 years, and not much special has happened for Gailey since then. He's a good career OC type. Better at his job than Jauron, but Jauron was nowhere near being a top HC and neither is Gailey. I hope he somehow proves me wrong, but this move deserves all the criticism it is getting.

i hate t o be that guy, but, is any of this official or simply speculation? i mean, until i see a flight tracked by overzealous fanboys, i'm not believing word-one :wallbash: .

Here let me help you! I will walk you over to the proper thread personally... I love being of service:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=106180

Is there anything else I can do?

:thumbsup:

because the criticisms of him are virtually identical to Jauron...doesn't win close games, team loses multiple games in a season because they can't score points(13 points or fewer won games against them 4 times), plays poorly on the road, offense regresses over time rather than improves, too laid back as head coach, QBs throwing too many checkdowns, team plays hard for him and doesn't cause locker room issues, and among the lowest paid coaches in the league...

The last point is probably reason #1 Gailey is getting hired...

Well, anyone hired by Ralph was going to be among the lowest paid coaches in the league, so that's kind of irrelevant. I think you are also being way too influenced by a very slanted article. To read that cold, you'd think the Cowboys were a last place team like the Bills. They made the playoffs BOTH years Gailey was there --- how bad could they have been? And that was despite a lot of guys on that team going into steep career decline (esp Aikman -- retired the following year, and Irvin -- didn't even play in '99). That's why the offense was in 'decline', not because of the coaching.