Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's bad to have 50 different Gailey threads up but this thread is getting bloated, and people obviously aren't going to show up and read 30 pages of words before posting something that's already been posted in this thread. If a new Chan Gailey thread brings up new topics or information, it doesn't necessarily seem to warrant being immediately closed IMO. Just a suggestion.

Here is the last entry for him in Wikipedia:

(2008-present)

Gailey was hired on January 16, 2008 to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. Gailey inherited a Chiefs offense that ranked at the bottom of the league in almost every category the previous season.[13] He was demoted after three pre-season games in 2009 and relieved of playcalling duties by head coach Todd Haley.[14]

Any one else feeling underwhelmed here? Why not Rich Kotite or Bud Carson?

:w00t: Ok ... feels like the air has gotten kicked out of all of us but truthfully it's because we all wanted "the name" coach but if we start looking at Gailey's record maybe (just maybe) he is what we wanted. Remember we all screamed for:

1. An offensive minded coach

2. Someone with head coaching experience

3. Someone who has been to the playoffs more than one time

4. Someone with passion who will kick butt

So, here we have Gailey and even in the one season with a very bad Kansas City team he took them from #32 to #24 in total offense. This year they slipped back to #25 after letting him go. I know some here would say that unless he moved them from #32 to the Number One offense then he sucks.

But if we had signed Frazier right away how many would be screaming for an offensive minded head coach and complaining about the Tampa defense?

Here are two quotes that don't sound at all like "Dick football" and show some passion

"We need to score touchdowns and not settle for field goals in the fourth quarter.” “A lot of people say, 'Find a way to win,' like it's hiding behind a corner somewhere. I say, 'Make a way to win.' Most of the time you need to make things happen. They don't just happen.”

Chan Gailey

But ... I can't see that this move sells tickets ... the Bills are going to have to become aggressive and outspoken because right now the team management is one of the most embarassing acts in professional sports and those of us who truly love the team are grasping at straws ... if Chan's the man then I want to see that aggressiveness out on the field and a win all the time attitude.

Whoever has the bottle pass it this way ... :wallbash:

I know it's bad to have 50 different Gailey threads up but this thread is getting bloated, and people obviously aren't going to show up and read 30 pages of words before posting something that's already been posted in this thread. If a new Chan Gailey thread brings up new topics or information, it doesn't necessarily seem to warrant being immediately closed IMO. Just a suggestion.

When you have idiots starting threads with titles like "Chan Gailey-more of the same-We will never be a winning team", it doesn't really add to any discussion anyway.

Wait a couple days after the retards have gotten tired of spamming doom and gloom and maybe there will be some intelligent discussion about him.

You just adjust and try to put your players in a position to be successful. That's my theory. I don't have a name for the offense or an offensive philosophy other than being physical, being able to run the football and then put your players in position to be successful."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07014/75374...m#ixzz0d1dII04T

That is an awesome quote

those that are worthy of separate discussions are being left open.

It's called Cowher protecting his legacy. You think Cowher wanted someone who could, I don't know, win the Super Bowl coming in after him???

Yeah he'd want to help destroy the team that gave him the opportunity to be a head coach and make millions of dollars by suggesting Gailey. Pitt wins the Super Bowl again yet Cowher is still considered a top hire.

When you have idiots starting threads with titles like "Chan Gailey-more of the same-We will never be a winning team", it doesn't really add to any discussion anyway.

Wait a couple days after the retards have gotten tired of spamming doom and gloom and maybe there will be some intelligent discussion about him.

Good point. Maybe two out of ten new Gailey threads seemed to have potential for decent discussion. Most have been spam, I agree.

Apparently that won't involve you. I'd like to look back on your opinion of the following....

Hiring Dick Jauron.

J.P. Losman as a starting QB.

Whitner over Ngata.

Trading up for McCargo.

Maybin over Orakpo.

Extending Dick Jauron.

How dare anyone speak out about a club with such a stellar track record! :thumbsup::wallbash::D

:wallbash: Ok ... feels like the air has gotten kicked out of all of us but truthfully it's because we all wanted "the name" coach but if we start looking at Gailey's record maybe (just maybe) he is what we wanted. Remember we all screamed for:

1. An offensive minded coach

2. Someone with head coaching experience

3. Someone who has been to the playoffs more than one time

4. Someone with passion who will kick butt

So, here we have Gailey and even in the one season with a very bad Kansas City team he took them from #32 to #24 in total offense. This year they slipped back to #25 after letting him go. I know some here would say that unless he moved them from #32 to the Number One offense then he sucks.

But if we had signed Frazier right away how many would be screaming for an offensive minded head coach and complaining about the Tampa defense?

Here are two quotes that don't sound at all like "Dick football" and show some passion

"We need to score touchdowns and not settle for field goals in the fourth quarter.” “A lot of people say, 'Find a way to win,' like it's hiding behind a corner somewhere. I say, 'Make a way to win.' Most of the time you need to make things happen. They don't just happen.”

Chan Gailey

But ... I can't see that this move sells tickets ... the Bills are going to have to become aggressive and outspoken because right now the team management is one of the most embarassing acts in professional sports and those of us who truly love the team are grasping at straws ... if Chan's the man then I want to see that aggressiveness out on the field and a win all the time attitude.

Whoever has the bottle pass it this way ... :unsure:

All I know is Cowher and Shanahan don't win without a QB, a RB, and an O-Line. Plus, judging a coach as a coach only is unrealistic in a GM's league. Anyway found this post on arrowheadpride.com entitled, " The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach" posted almost exactly a year ago. It's worth reading: The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach

All I know is Cowher and Shanahan don't win without a QB, a RB, and an O-Line. Plus, judging a coach as a coach only is unrealistic in a GM's league. Anyway found this post on arrowheadpride.com entitled, " The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach" posted almost exactly a year ago. It's worth reading: The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach

great post and thanks for the link :thumbsup:

However, after looking a little more into his career, all i can say is i have no problem giving this guy a chance. in every year that he has been a head coach, whether it be pro or college, he has only had a losing season ONE time, and that being in 1993 with samford university bulldogs (div 1-aa) i do have concerns with his inability to win bowl games, or playoff games, but the fact is i would walk around with a stiffy for a week if we could just get IN to the playoffs at this point. i cant believe all of these people so ready to walk away from this team over this choice. no its not a big name like cowher, but beggers cant really be choosers. lets try to get some pride back into this orginization, and gailey has proven then he can lead a team to a winning record, and to the playoffs. baby steps people, were any of you really expecting to go win the superbowl next year even if cowher, or shanny would of came? Go Bills!!!

Why all the fuss? If you actually look at his career you'll see he has had a good career. Way better than any other coach we have brought in.

Excellent read, every donkey on this board should read the article please.

Why all the fuss? If you actually look at his career you'll see he has had a good career. Way better than any other coach we have brought in.

Because all of the problems reported while with the Cowboys sound exactly like the problems the coach we just got rid of had.

-Lack of discipline leading to tons of penalties

-Being too easy going

-Losing close games in the fourth quarter

-Losing numerous games because your team can't score(opponent won 4 times in season scoring 13 points or less)

-Players love him

-Quarterbacks check the ball down too much(Edwards is doing backflips over Gailey's hiring I hear)

-Offense that gets worse as time goes on, not better

One thing he has going for him is that Jerry Jones later admitted he regrets having fired Gailey after only 2 years(reportedly because he refused to change offensive coordinators---sounds like Phillips refusing to fire his special teams coach):

"I regret just giving Chan [Gailey] two years," said Jones, the Cowboys' owner and general manager. "When you really look at what he's done since he's left here and look at what he had done here – he took us to the playoffs twice. And I'm not talking about the fairness of it. I'm just talking about how I should have worked hard on some things where we could've made adjustments that were meaningful."

speculation is that Jones may have felt he hung onto an aging core of veterans who led them to multiple superbowls too long(Aikman, Smith, Irvin), instead of looking at on field production of the players in question...

Personally, I feel Gailey is an offensive minded Dick Jauron...

Excellent read, every donkey on this board should read the article please.

Any sh-tty journalist can make any candidate look viable. We are a joke. We went from Shanny, to Cowher, to Gruden, to Frazier, to Rivera, to Grimm, to SHotty, to Harbaugh, and it looks like we'll settle with a guy who was last HC in the 90's and was for the majority of the time a college coach and a coach in the World League. For all those who say he "built" something in Dallas, look at the talent around him. We won't have it. I'm done.