Free agents: the other shoe that will soon drop.

Brandon gets promoted, Nix gets hired, and all of a sudden most of the established or up-and-coming coaches want nothing to do with the Bills' HC position. I'm a believer that the market disseminates information faster and more accurately than other mechanisms, and so I read into this that everyone on the "inside" knows information that we don't (or that we refuse to accept as true). Namely: that this organization is toxic. And for the "true believers" out there who continue to cling to the notion that this is, or can be a well-run organization, just wait until free agency season starts on March 1. If the coaches can't be lured here with $$, the players are going to be even more reluctant to sign up for the opportunity. Yes we got TO, but tell me, did he have ANY other offers? No. I think that when free agency starts up, we'll finally get the full picture of just how dismal this organization's standing is.

Of course, I expect that the "true believers" will be telling us that it's Nix's philosophy of acquiring through the draft (nevermind that we don't have enough picks to fill all of the holes on this roster).

Brandon gets promoted, Nix gets hired, and all of a sudden most of the established or up-and-coming coaches want nothing to do with the Bills' HC position. I'm a believer that the market disseminates information faster and more accurately than other mechanisms, and so I read into this that everyone on the "inside" knows information that we don't (or that we refuse to accept as true). Namely: that this organization is toxic. And for the "true believers" out there who continue to cling to the notion that this is, or can be a well-run organization, just wait until free agency season starts on March 1. If the coaches can't be lured here with $$, the players are going to be even more reluctant to sign up for the opportunity. Yes we got TO, but tell me, did he have ANY other offers? No. I think that when free agency starts up, we'll finally get the full picture of just how dismal this organization's standing is.

Of course, I expect that the "true believers" will be telling us that it's Nix's philosophy of acquiring through the draft (nevermind that we don't have enough picks to fill all of the holes on this roster).

That shoe dropped years ago so I really don't think anyone will be surprised when FAs continue to go elsewhere. THis is why I stated in another thread that Buddy Nix is the only one to save this team...draft, draft and draft

i'm sure nix wants to clean house as far as the roster is concerned as well. this organization is full of losers. i don't blame anyone for not wanting to come here. like a old house, its sometimes better to completely demolish it and build something new on the land and that's what were looking at. that being said the bills will go 16-0 and win the super bowl next year. GOD BLESS & GO BILLS

i'm sure nix wants to clean house as far as the roster is concerned as well. this organization is full of losers. i don't blame anyone for not wanting to come here. like a old house, its sometimes better to completely demolish it and build something new on the land and that's what were looking at. that being said the bills will go 16-0 and win the super bowl next year. GOD BLESS & GO BILLS

We cant have everything at the same time, and free agency does not build championships (that is what the draft is for).

Doesnt matter who coaches the Bills, since anyone would be better than Jauron. I'm gonna be a happy guy in August when I don't see Parrish and Reed on the roster.

Nobody warned us about an in-house hire of a GM or everyone rejecting us as head coach. But, Nix did tell us, he isn't big a free agency and that we will build via the draft. Only people who are gonna hope for major FA moves are truly fools.

And that's probably why Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery were given huge undeserved contracts. The Bills had to grossly outbid everyone else.

And that's probably why Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery were given huge undeserved contracts. The Bills had to grossly outbid everyone else.

it's also why Peters held out and turned down multiple high payng offers from the Bills. He had little intention of staying in buffalo and dealing with this organization unless he was over paid to do so, and even with an offer of 9 mil per season he still said no to the Bills

this organization is at its lowest low and heading lower

Who wants high priced free agents anyways? It seems to me most of the guys who sign long term, big money deals (whether it be with their original club or a new one) become complacent and don't work nearly as hard as they did when they were trying to get that huge contract (one example that quickly comes to mind is James Harrison of the Steelers, who, despite having OK stats this year, was not nearly the disruptive force he was the previous 2 seasons)... I would much rather have a GM who can draft guys who will work their butts off and feel the need to prove themselves than have guys who feel they no longer need to prove a thing. And of course we're not gonna be able to fill evey single hole on our team in this year's draft, so you need to sign some mid-level FAs who can contribute the next couple of seasons while we can hopefully stock this team with some serious young talent in the next couple of drafts....I don't think there are any quick fixes and it's going to take a little time to get back to being serious contenders. I am just choosing to be an optimist instead of continuously trashing this team...anyone who feels that the Bills are a lost cause should just move on to another team or at least quit watching....we don't need fickle fans.

I have a question for you, Coach Miserable: when was the last time a team spent big $$ in free agency and won?

Tell you what, I'll do the leg work for you. Here's a rundown of the last few Superbowl winners:

- 2009 Steelers - free agents at C (Hartwig), DE (Kirschke), RILB (Farrior), and FS (Clark), the rest of their starters were draft picks.

- 2008 Giants - free agents at WR (Burress), C (O'Hara), RT (McKenzie), MLB (Pierce), and LCB (Madison), the rest of their starters were draft picks.

- 2007 Colts - 1 free agent at DT (Simon, who they actually traded for during the season), the rest of their starters were draft picks.

- 2006 Steelers - free agents at C (Hartings), WR (Wilson), RILB (Farrior), the rest of their starters were draft picks.

Shall I keep going?

The best teams build through the draft. That's not even a debatable point, "true believer" or not. The best teams in football over the past 5 years have been Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego, and the Giants. What do they all have in common? They build through the draft. You never hear about one of those teams spending huge money in free agency. Except for the Giants this past off-season, when they broke their trend and threw huge dollars at Michael Boley, Chris Canty, and Rocky Bernard...how'd that work out, by the way?

If you can show me even 1 case where a team went out and brought in big money players, and went on to win, I'd like to hear it. The only case I can think of is 2007 in New England, who brought in Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte' Stallworth in one off-season, but then again, they spent very little money in the process and already had an established winner, so that's hardly helping your case.

Coach, do you not read here? All is well, us 'realists' don't know wtf we are talking about regardless of the proof. Until someone actually comes out and says 'No way in hell would I ever coach in Buffalo for Wilson and that front office' we will still have the homers screaming that it's all lies.

Oh and of course no matter how in demand the coach was that says that...they suck, screw them/ Buffalo rules...blah blah blah

BLAH BLAH BLAH

With the salary cap leaving, some 220 fewer players will become UFA's. In addition, teams will get 1-franchise and 2-transition tags, meaning another 96 players could potentially be difficult to obtain. IOW, expecting to get a lot of FA's this off-season was unreal to begin with, unless they agree on a new CBA, which doesn't seem likely.

I have a question for you, Coach Miserable: when was the last time a team spent big $$ in free agency and won?

Show me where I suggest they should spend a ton of money in free agency or sign big name players. I agree that they need to build through the draft. Ok? We agree. But you also need to spend money in free agency to bring in quality depth. You need to sign mid-level free agents and draft studs (and sign them to rookie contracts). That is the formula. You can't have one and not the other. The Bills have had neither. Even assuming they can identify and compel (via the draft process) top-notch college players to play here, they have shown an unwillingness, and now, I posit, will show an inability, to attract solid mid-level free agent depth. I could care less about Haynesworth. But when guys like Julian Peterson have no interest in signing with this organization, you've got a problem.

This organization is in a worse position now than they were in '06 when we hired Dickie...

The roster has turned over a lot and what we have now are a majority of our starters should be backups and backups who should be practice squad players. We also have the issue of needing help at OL, WR and QB on the offense as well as a defense that is really small...How do you begin filling all these holes? What FA will want to come here to be part of more losing and rebuilding over the next couple of seasons?? If you have to throw huge $$ at them to get them to sign, you arenn't signign the right players...you are simply signing players who only play for $$ and not to win or for pride or whatever else and you end up with more jason Peter's situations...a good player pissed off that the lazy assclown's next too him make more than he does...we have a loooooooong way to go

Show me where I suggest they should spend a ton of money in free agency or sign big name players. I agree that they need to build through the draft. Ok? We agree. But you also need to spend money in free agency to bring in quality depth. You need to sign mid-level free agents and draft studs (and sign them to rookie contracts). That is the formula. You can't have one and not the other. The Bills have had neither. Even assuming they can identify and compel (via the draft process) top-notch college players to play here, they have shown an unwillingness, and now, I posit, will show an inability, to attract solid mid-level free agent depth. I could care less about Haynesworth. But when guys like Julian Peterson have no interest in signing with this organization, you've got a problem.

They've had no trouble attracting guys like Drayton Florence, who gave the team more than a few quality performances during the season, and for modest money. So why would there be an issue doing so now?

And, just for the record, try finding me one free agent acquisition from Pittsburgh or Indianapolis from the last few off-seasons. You don't need both, you need to draft well. Free agency is for teams that don't draft well, and it rarely works out, even at the mid-level.

And I highly doubt that the solution to Buffalo's problem is in declining talents like Julian Peterson, who did virtually nothing for Detroit this season. Two solid drafts and this team could (note: could, not will) be a perennial playoff contender, regardless of free agent activity.

Do you hate the Bills?