Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

Tim,

What are your thoughts on the staff CG may be putting together? I have read a few articles listing James Bates as a potential candidate for the DC job. As always thanks for the inside info and ignore the mental midgets.

Whoever is willing to work dirt cheap, gets the nod.

Maybe Tyke Tolbert will be back, as OC.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion for Lori, please delete these idot's posts before Tim sees them. No offense to any one, but Tim's contributions to this board are great and greatly appreciated. The idiots have an entire board to spew in. Tim gets one thread. I appreciate it. I enjoy it. I don't think I speak for myself. It would be a shame to lose his insight and commentary.

I second this. There's no need to let a few dimwits ruin this for the rest of us. It's very rare to have this kind of access and conversation with an ESPN reporter, and I'd hate to see it go.

I think it is understandable that Bills fans are a little sensitive today in general, and specifically to stories like yours. They should not expect you to name your source, but you should also understand that:

We just hired a coach and our team has been constantly bashed for the decision. This may prove to be valid criticism, but the piling on has not helped the mood.

This comes on the heels of being mocked for having the audacity to hope we'd get a headliner. Mocked for months.

Not one national reporter came to defense of the Bills fan base at all. Not that I witnessed anyway.

ESPN shows, designed and scripted to be "point/counter-point" are "point/agreement-with-point" when it comes to the Bills.

Irrefuted reports perenially list the Bills as a potential candidate for moving due to "difficulty filling the stadium" and "lack of fan support". The Bills and the Jaguars are the only teams ever mentioned as move candidates. I don't see any tarp advertisements in the upper deck at the Ralph.

Didn't your report come out a few hours after the hiring? Can't we have a few hours to digest our new coach without another broadside? Was the info not available yesterday? Would the story not have waited until tomorrow? I know it is your job and your decision and I'm not really criticizing it, but try to see it through a Bills fans eyes and maybe you'll understand the sensitivity a little more.

Certainly you can understand that the constant drumbeat of negativity might wear peoples nerves. Our team has been well supported for 50 years and we sit by and watch New England glorified despite knowing that as soon as they have an 8-8 season, their stadium will be half full, despite the huge market.

Teams like Atlanta and Phoenix have had traditionally tepid fanbases despite their large markets. Buffalo, while being a small market team in a terrible economy, still has many fans that identify strongly with the Buffalo Bills. Many of these people have not lived in Buffalo for a long time. This loyalty is lost on most/all reporters. Would the NFL lose more overall fans if the Bills moved or if the Falcons moved? Ironically, I think you'd most easily find your answer if you attended a Sabres at Thrashers game. Our society is different now than it was in 1960. You don't have to live in Buffalo to love the Bills. There are many avenues for fandom. The NFL was built in part on the loyalty of fans. It is sad to see it dismissed as meaningless while the media pursues perceived large markets.

I am not saying Buffalo can never move or has a divine right to keep their team. I am saying that it would be pretty cool if someone tried to understand how the Bills really fit in the league instead of jumping on the "they should move" or "every move they make is wrong" or "who would ever want to coach in Buffalo" bandwagon. Tony Kornheiser's "Chan Gailey is a guy you hire when you're going out of business" was the most direct line I've seen. It is in keeping with the theme. So I guess we're a sensitive to "little things".

This is BY FAR, your best post! KUDOS and +1.....and By the way Tim, I really did not want you to produce your source....my sarcasm is well documented on this board, and Lori, shame on you for thinking I was serious......keep up the good work, but please....let us digest the latest hire before you alienate our fan base with information like that!

Tim,

Kudos for your excellent coverage yesterday afternoon on espn.com. Looking forward to learning more about the Bills hiring process.

Also, sorry to learn that some folks around here are demanding that you reveal your sources. Apparently some people have forgotten that football message boards are supposed to be fun and entertaining. I hope this doesn't discourage you from posting your thoughts in the future

I second this. There's no need to let a few dimwits ruin this for the rest of us. It's very rare to have this kind of access and conversation with an ESPN reporter, and I'd hate to see it go.

Dealing with dimwits is part of the internet, and dimwits' actions reflect more on themselves than they do their target. I would suggest - constructively - to Tim that he simply ignore them.

PARTICULARLY if they're stupid enough to demand you reveal your sources, Tim. That's a ridiculous demand.

PARTICULARLY if they're stupid enough to demand you reveal your sources, Tim. That's a ridiculous demand.

I demand you reveal your source DC Tom......

for books. I'm curious if you're a public library man, or a discounter like Amazon, or retail outlet like Borders.

I am an infrequent poster, but I do enjoy browsing everyone's sane comments. I only came here today after seeing the reset of the ground rules. Tim, I very much enjoy your insight, and I am appreciative to the moderators of this board for providing a place for us to talk about our team, including those of us who are stuck in Giants country (Albany).

Tim,

I know you addressed this prior to the Buddy Nix signing, but haven't seen anything since.

Any thoughts on whether Modrak ends up staying and any thoughts on changes below his level w/in the scouting department?

Thanks for keeping these threads going.

Two things... I don' think Tim Graham really needs everyone defending him... he can handle himself...

Second, for Tim:

Any word on what Tom Donohoe is up to these days? What is the perception of him around the NFL?

I got word from what I consider a credible source (who I will not reveal) that he offered his assistance to Ralph Wilson in helping to find a new GM for the team, before Buddy Nix was hired. Mr Wilson did not take him up on the offer.

So, a whole week with no new posts. I hope the schmucks that blew the whole thing out of proportion (sarcasm or not) didn't push him away. It is nice to have a thread where we can talk football with a guy that has some more knowledge about football and the bills than the average poster. This was the one thread you could come into and expect some interesting and insightful posts. Much better than all the other threads where you click on into them and hear the most ridiculous things that must be comeing from the 5th grade lunch table. I hope Tim is just busy and still comes here to post with us.