Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

I'm glad to hear you'll be sticking around. I enjoyed your piece on the labor negotiations and the possibility (or probability) of a lockout in 2011. Do you have any idea what this means for next year's draft?

I would guess that the high number of juniors who came out for this year's draft is related in two ways:

1. Trying to get paid before a rookie cap is put in place.

2. Trying to get paid at all before 2012.

If there is a lockout next year, would you still expect the draft to happen in April? It seems like their could be so many questions around rookie pay which could really complicate things. Just wondering if you have any insight (facts or opinions would be appreciated.)

The NFL has said there will be a draft in 2011 no matter what.

Tim-

First off, thanks for doing this. We here at TBD really appreciate the time that you spend here chatting with us. Couple of quick questions.

1. I was always a big fan of Tyler Thigpen and hoped that Buf would have landed him last year, but it was not to be. Do you think there is any chance of the Bills going after him now that CG is our HC?

2. Have you heard any rumblings regarding Shobel's future with the team. If he parts ways and rides off into the sunset, do we go after Peppers (assuming our D switches to a 3-4)?

3. With an uncapped year coming up, any chance that Ralph splurges and goes all out in an attempt to get to the SB?

Thanks again!

1. I don't think that's going to happen. The Dolphins like him, and even if they didn't, trades are rare, inner-division trades rarer yet.

2. Not hearing any whispers about Schobel beyond what we already have read.

3. I give that a 0.08 percent chance of happening.

Hey Tim,

Is this assistant GM a good hire for the Bills? What are your thoughts on him?

Thank for all that you do here :beer:

I've never dealt with him personally. So I know of him only what I've been told by people I trust. He seems to have a bright future and has an eye for talent. In the role of assistant GM, I like the hire. If he proves himself, then given him the keys when Nix steps down.

This is essentially my viewpoint as well. Were the Buffalo Bills to move him, what would you project his value to be in terms of a draft pick at this point?

I disagree with Bob Matthews' speculation he's worth a late second rounder. Here are some running backs drafted in the third round or later the past couple years: Shonn Greene, Steve Slaton, Kevin Smith, Jamaal Charles, Tashard Choice, Tim Hightower and Le'Ron McClain.

I guess it only takes one team to overvalue Lynch, but you can get a solid starting running back in the third round, pay him less and not have the baggage to worry about. Keep in mind that when a team considers trading for Lynch, they must factor in that he's only one more misstep away from a looooooong suspension. Giving up a precious asset like a second-rounder would be incredibly risky. A third-rounder would be too pricey for me.

Tim,

What can you tell us about Buffalo's QB plans? have we only looked at Vick and Mcnabb or have we considered mostly the draft? What about Thigpen or my personal favorite Seneca Wallace?

Tyler Thigpen is under contract to the Dolphins, who liked him enough to trade for him last year. NFL trades are rare to begin with. Trades within the division happen less frequently than that. Thigpen probably will be Miami's primary backup in 2010. He won't be available. I haven't heard anything about the Bills and Wallace.

Hey Tim,

Any insight on who the Bills might be targeting for the free agency period? With several needs and a new defensive scheme, the Bills seemed poised to land at least one or two good veteran players.

I'm not convinced the Bills have a plan in place yet. As they mentioned last week, the staff got together for the first time on Wednesday.

Hey Tim

I was just curious as to your opinion on the possibility of getting Donovan McNabb in a Bills uni. Many people on this board dont even feel hes worth a 2nd round pick. I know there is rumblings he doesnt want to come here, any truth to that? and do you think he would be a good fit for the Bills? If so what do you feel is a fair price for him?

Thanks for your time doing this too!

The NFL has said there will be a draft in 2011 no matter what.

If there is a lockout and no CBA, there is no structure on which to base the draft.

The draft is allowed now since it is collectively bargained restraint of trade.

Good chance the NFL would lose on this issue.

Hey Tim

I was just curious as to your opinion on the possibility of getting Donovan McNabb in a Bills uni. Many people on this board dont even feel hes worth a 2nd round pick. I know there is rumblings he doesnt want to come here, any truth to that? and do you think he would be a good fit for the Bills? If so what do you feel is a fair price for him?

Thanks for your time doing this too!

I've heard from educated people that a second-round pick would get it done. But the team sending the pick likely would need to find out if he would be interested in signing a long-term extension. If not, then he's not worth the price for rental.

So, Tim ... with Wawrow and Bucky Gleason both in Vancouver, the question comes to mind: is covering the Olympics on your to-do list? And if so, Summer or Winter?

I would love to cover the Summer Games, particularly track and field. I think it would be cool to cover something in the stadium.

Tim,

So does this Donte Whitner for Jason Campbell rumor have any truth to it?

No.

A story will be coming at some point from a colleague. It's his information, so I have to wait until it's published before I feel comfortable enough to divulge anything more.