Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim,

Do teams ever consider what next year's class of prospects look like in planning their strategy for this draft, or is that too distant and uncertain? Specifically, would the Bills consider Locker, Mallett, Luck, etc., when considering drafting Jimmy Clausen?

I don't think they would consider individual players, but they would take into account the strength of a given position. Its too difficult to project what draft slot your team will be in and whether a particular player will rise or fall or underclassmen declare (or not). But you can get a sense of how deep a position will be.

Tim

Thanks for sticking around. Any impression or feeling from the team if Hardy can be a productive player? He seems to have a brain, does he have the heart?

I confess ignorance on Hardy. I haven't seen enough to render an opinion, and personnel people I trust don't seem to know either.

Tim,

As for the needs of the Bills going into the draft, most people think that the top 3 positions the Bills need to address are:

1) OT

2) QB

3) NT

4) Linebacker

However, I think a big need will be WR given that the only veteran WRs on the roster are Evans and Parrish. And Parrish has been woefully inadequate as a WR. Hardy and S. Johnson seem to have talent, but they have had minimal playing time in their first 2 years.

Do you see the Bills filling their holes at WR via draft or FA? Or instead do you see the Bills letting the inexperienced guys take the reigns?

I see it this way ...

1) OT

2) NT

3) QB

4) OLB

I think the Bills aren't in bad shape at receiver. Not great, but passable (pun intended). With so many glaring needs elsewhere, some areas are going to have to suffer. I think they need to concentrate on too many other areas to waste more cash at receiver.

Tim, Is there a possibility that Eric Woods is not going to be ready to play early in the season? And what is the injury status of Demetrius Bell who had a knee procedure done in the offseason? In your opinion is Incognito going to be retained? Overall, with the retirement of Butler our OL is in a shambles.

Tim,

I asked earlier in this thread, but, can you offer any insight as to how our former GM, Tom Donohoe is regarded in NFL circles?

I heard from someone I know, who works at 1 Bills Drive, that Donohoe offered his services to Ralph Wilson, to help him in selecting a new GM, before Buddy Nix was hired. I am assuming Mr Wilson did not take him up on the offer. However, in the Mark Gaughan article about Doug Whaley, from yesterdays Buffalo News, he mentions Tom Donohoe as one of the influences on his career, from their time together in Pittsburgh. Do you know, if Donohoe had any hand in Whaley getting hired in Buffalo?

thanks!

Tim,

Raffi Torrres was a solid pick up at the deadline, especially given that fact that after everything was said a done, it was basically MacArthur & Paetsch for Torres.

I still think they should have made one more move, such as an offensive d-man, to really make a run this year. They have the hottest and most popular goalie in the league right now. This would have been a prime year to expand the fan base and make the Sabres somewhat relevant outside of Buffalo. Thoughts?

Tim,

Raffi Torrres was a solid pick up at the deadline, especially given that fact that after everything was said a done, it was basically MacArthur & Paetsch for Torres.

I still think they should have made one more move, such as an offensive d-man, to really make a run this year. They have the hottest and most popular goalie in the league right now. This would have been a prime year to expand the fan base and make the Sabres somewhat relevant outside of Buffalo. Thoughts?

There's that "relevant" word again that got thrown around when Terrell Owens signed.

Relevant does nothing for me. Winning is what's important.

That said, I disagree with you that a trade would have made a difference in terms of relevancy because what Ryan Miller did at the Olympics will resonate in the hockey community more than any trade Darcy Regier could've made today. The reality is, Buffalo is an overlooked market in an overlooked sport.

I agree with you about the Torres trade. It was solid and makes the team better. I actually liked the MacArthur trade more. But these were tweak moves, not the kind that will make a substantial difference in the postseason. That's my forecast, anyway.

Tim, Is there a possibility that Eric Woods is not going to be ready to play early in the season? And what is the injury status of Demetrius Bell who had a knee procedure done in the offseason? In your opinion is Incognito going to be retained? Overall, with the retirement of Butler our OL is in a shambles.

We've gotten encouraging reports through the Bills that suggest Wood will be able to play in 2010. Not sure about Bell. The reports are more vague on him right now.

I think Incognito will be brought back. He's a restricted free agent.

Tim,

I asked earlier in this thread, but, can you offer any insight as to how our former GM, Tom Donohoe is regarded in NFL circles?

I heard from someone I know, who works at 1 Bills Drive, that Donohoe offered his services to Ralph Wilson, to help him in selecting a new GM, before Buddy Nix was hired. I am assuming Mr Wilson did not take him up on the offer. However, in the Mark Gaughan article about Doug Whaley, from yesterdays Buffalo News, he mentions Tom Donohoe as one of the influences on his career, from their time together in Pittsburgh. Do you know, if Donohoe had any hand in Whaley getting hired in Buffalo?

thanks!

Donahoe has a highly respected football mind, but he's a micro-manager that wears thin on those around him.

Not hearing much about the Bills right now, but I'm sure there's activity in Orchard Park.

I'm surprised they let Incognito go. Either it's a good sign for Eric Wood's recovery, or it could be something as basic as Gailey not liking Incognito's act.

Tim,

Do the Bills honestly believe that none of these FA's being signed right now would be an upgrade over their current talent? We all know we have the money, but how are we not even being discussed as even possible suitors for some of these OT's and DT's. I'm not going to pretend to know much about these guys, but OT Clifton seems to be good enough to start for Shanahan in Washington, yet wouldn't be an upgrade for us? And while I know it's a long shot, but we still haven't addressed our Pass Rush issue and have no main stars, yet there is no mention of us even asking about Peppers.

I'm not the kind of guy who thinks we should sign every name out there and I know a good team builds through the draft, but we are atleast 3 fully developed drafts away from filling all our holes. Many of these FA's are more than serviceable, but would be an instant upgrade.

What am I missing here? Is this us being cheap, no one wanting to come to Buffalo? Thoughts?

hey Tim, do you think the bills make a play for Jamal Williams

Something I'd really like to know. We let Pat go (the move that ruined this franchise) when he was younger than Jamal, although it was a different regime. I'm really eager to see who they plan to anchor this 3-4 defense. I love kyle williams, but I'm not so sure he can be THAT guy. At 3-4 DE he can be a beast, DT is a whole different animal.

Tim, what are your thoughts regarding us going after Jamal Williams, as well as how you think Kyle Williams would do at DT?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tim,

I'll ask this in the chat later today, but in case it doesn't get answered ... I was wondering if you have any insight into how much longer Bill Belichick planned on coaching. I realize he will never be fired by Kraft, but is there any thought that he might want to take a break and step back from the demands of coaching in the NFL for a while? Is there any possibility that his tenure will end with Brady's? He's entering his 11th season in the same place, which I think gives him the second-longest stay (after Fisher) in one place.

Hey Tim,

I'll ask this in the chat later today, but in case it doesn't get answered ... I was wondering if you have any insight into how much longer Bill Belichick planned on coaching. I realize he will never be fired by Kraft, but is there any thought that he might want to take a break and step back from the demands of coaching in the NFL for a while? Is there any possibility that his tenure will end with Brady's? He's entering his 11th season in the same place, which I think gives him the second-longest stay (after Fisher) in one place.

No chat today, so good thing you got me here.

I don't have any insight on how much longer he wants to coach, but it's his life. Belichick doesn't let much get in the way of his coaching. He has established a program that almost runs itself. It's easy to see why guys like Paterno and Bowden don't want to give it up. The blueprint is in place. Now you just follow it every year.