Lil Donte

The Whitner coaching excuse holds no water. None. He has been outplayed by a street free agent and a WR at SS and a rookie at FS. Wendling is a better special teams player.

That sub-4.4 40 time is a joke. Was he timed by his agent for that? His world class speed comes when he is fired out of a cannon at the circus.

The Whitner coaching excuse holds no water. None. He has been outplayed by a street free agent and a WR at SS and a rookie at FS. Wendling is a better special teams player.

That sub-4.4 40 time is a joke. Was he timed by his agent for that? His world class speed comes when he is fired out of a cannon at the circus.

:thumbsup:

So if he's just a young guy why don't the Bills go to the Rivals 100 and draft the top DE out of high school? Erie Bills, PSU fan I'm guessing. Poz is a top MLB too right? Maurice Evans was twice the player Maybin was. Maybin, like Donte will be a bust...unfortunately.

Yupp am a PSU fan, Love the prospect of Maybin.. just not for a 1st rounder but it's way to soon to judge. Poz needs to be moved to his natural position which is OLB and watch him fly to the ball.. but that's a whole nother discussion.

Yupp am a PSU fan, Love the prospect of Maybin.. just not for a 1st rounder but it's way to soon to judge. Poz needs to be moved to his natural position which is OLB and watch him fly to the ball.. but that's a whole nother discussion.

Mo Evans has a better shot of becoming a solid player.

that's combine time. electronic. so your joke, as clever as you think it is, is completely wrong. So....

that's combine time. electronic. so your joke, as clever as you think it is, is completely wrong. So....

It helps your point if you know what you are talking about.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...6&genpos=SS

The sub-4.4 time was his Pro Day.

The combine uses manual start and electronic finish for timing. It is well understood that this can skew results in favor of the athlete.

I've seen players that timed in the 4.5s at the combine run away from Donte Whitner on the football field. Even if he was only a whisker slower than Chris Johnson on a track in Indianapolis once upon a time, doesn't mean that speed translates to his play.

ive held out hope for years. ive given him every benefit of the doubt that i could come up with.

but after watching Byrd, Scott, and Wilson outplay him at every opportunity, I'm done as well.

he'd be a good backup if we could re-sign him real cheap. if not, see ya.

Don't underscore the coaching aspect of it though...some of these guys could be shades better with coaching. Also Maybin is a youngster and is still learning to play the game.

A DE who plays only in a rushing situation is literally the easiest position on the field...if he needs to be taught how to use a swim move or club by better coaches then he's a bust

You guys are right. Donte Whitner single handedly is the reason we haven't made the playoffs in a decade. It's not Edwards or Losman's fault. It's not underachieving olinemen. It's Donte Whitner's fault alone.

Nice. :rolleyes:

I am as disappointed with Whitner as any Bills fan, but I also think that most of the internet heroes snarking on "Lil Donte" would curl up in a little ball and cry if confronted with him. Can we discuss player weaknesses without the idiotic chest-thumping?

You guys are right. Donte Whitner single handedly is the reason we haven't made the playoffs in a decade. It's not Edwards or Losman's fault. It's not underachieving olinemen. It's Donte Whitner's fault alone.

I believe the thread says , "Are there still any believers?" Not, "Donte is the reason why the Bills suck". Now the selection of DW by our joke of a FO certainly led to the tailspin that the Bills are currently in. It sounds like you still won't admit that he's just not what you thought he was going to be.

Donte was def drafted too early BUT did you see him against the run? He plays the run very very well. His pass coverage could use some work, just like jairus' run D needs help. People just look at Jairus as way better than D-White because INT's are more flashy and exciting than stopping the run

I am as disappointed with Whitner as any Bills fan, but I also think that most of the internet heroes snarking on "Lil Donte" would curl up in a little ball and cry if confronted with him. Can we discuss player weaknesses without the idiotic chest-thumping?

How come everything with you people from Philly comes down to a fight? Anyway, I can handle myself, I carry a taser. :rolleyes:

The Bills are comprised of quite a few players like Whitner (Kelsey and Poz come to mind). These are players that play in the range of average but haven't lived up to the hype. They can do some good things at the same time alot leaves to be desired. When you look at our safety position I think this is the most solid on the team.

Whitner doesn't get you the pick as good as Byrd or Wilson. He is solid against the run, but so were Scott and Wilson.

I would like to see more of Harris. I would leave this unit untouched. Byrd and Wilson or Byrd and Scott seemed more productive in creating turnovers. I would keep Whitner though I don't think he should start on this rotation. He adds depth. Certainly not worthy of the 8 pick but I am not going to hate him for it. I blame the FO not Whitner.

However with the CBA up in the air the Bills may want to generate more draft picks and the safety market is never strong in the draft, he may be the most marketable Bill in the trade market.

Problem that I have is that during the pre season several Bills played very well but very seldom saw the field during the regular season. Palmer, Ellis, both Harris, and Lankster. Palmer, Harris played very well once they got the opportunity to get in a game. Our coaches obviuosly hand out starting positions without people honestly earning them on the field. Lets stop annointing and make players honestly earn their spots.

To be clear, Donte is an OK football player. I don't have any problem with him being on this team nor do I have any problem with shopping him around.

He's not a franchise player and the Bills screwed up taking him as high as they did and passing over legit franchise players that were still on the board. He's overrated by some Bills fans that want to defend every decision, but he is hardly the cause of the dysfunction and problems with this franchise; and, only a straw man builder would imply that he is.

I believe the thread says , "Are there still any believers?" Not, "Donte is the reason why the Bills suck". Now the selection of DW by our joke of a FO certainly led to the tailspin that the Bills are currently in. It sounds like you still won't admit that he's just not what you thought he was going to be.

He's a good safety when healthy. He certainly is a much better pick than Ted Ginn and the Fins made the playoffs.

Yes, Whitner isn't a superstar. But to single him out when they are so many other problems with the team, especially QB, is dumb IMO.

It will always amazed me that our FO was sitting there on that faithfull day in the war room and agreed that Donte was the right pick. That is who the organization chose to rebuild the Bills. An effin safety.

And now we're already saying the same thing about Maybin.....

... at least there's always the hope that a new coaching staff will be able to salvage something out of the Maybin pick by turning him into a LB .

GO BILLS!

He's a good safety when healthy. He certainly is a much better pick than Ted Ginn and the Fins made the playoffs.

Yes, Whitner isn't a superstar. But to single him out when they are so many other problems with the team, especially QB, is dumb IMO.

Again, read the thread's title. You've given your answer, "He's good, he just (excuse here)."

Whitner's selection was a major error. The Bills desperately needed a DT and both Haloti Ngata and Broderick

Bunkley were sitting there when their pick came. Instead, the Bills reached for the 2nd rated SS in the draft after the

Raiders took the top SS candidate (michael Huff) a pick or two earlier.

Now, I won't say that Whitner was a major major reach, but the Bills had no business picking a safety when the

two top DTs (THE position of need for them) were sitting on the board. What do you suppose the Bills would need

to package with Whitner to get Ngata now? (I'd venture to say a 1st and Whitner might get us Ngata).

Too bad, blown opportunity.

I watched Ngata play when he was with the Ducks. He was a force, and was the guy I wanted the Bills to draft. Instead they took Whitner.

Ngata was just named to the Pro Bowl. 'Nuff said.

Now, I won't say that Whitner was a major major reach,

I would!

but the Bills had no business picking a safety when the two top DTs (THE position of need for them) were sitting on the board.

Agreed. Either Ngata, Cutler, or trading down with Denver would have represented much better options than using the 8th overall pick on a backup safety.

Donte Whitner was chosen 8th overall, which makes him the highest draft pick the Bills have had since 2002. High draft position and a high level of scrutiny go together. Any discussion of Marv's drafting failures should begin with Donte Whitner.

beating the horse man.... Hes barely been of age to drink alcohol, this isn't the NBA. In 3 years i'll accept the bust card if he's not beasting it by then which he will be.

Are you seriously telling me the bills would draft maybin again if they could turn back time? The guy would have been cut in minicamp if not for his 1st round status.

I would normally agree with you but with Maybin, the writing is on the wall. He's stiff, shows no explosion off of the ball, zero instincts, skinny and looks completely lost. It's alright for a rookie QB to look lost, but the NFL has had plenty of pass rushers who come in and make an immediate impact becuase there is no thinking when you're rushing the passer. It's all about getting off of the ball and beating the man who is standing in front of you. Maybin got owned by every tackle, he didn't sniff the QB. This conversation can only go so far, but check back with me next year when he still looks the same.

shhhh. just shhhh!

We didn't need a saftey then, and he's proven to be just that: an inconvenience. The most memorable Whitner moments are:

in 2008 when he chased down a Raiders receiver in the endzone just to hit him late and get flagged

this year when he actually made a pick that meant something

I desperately would like to be proven otherwise. DW's got one year to shine, or he'll be trade bait

Whitner's time is over, he'll never be worth playing over Wilson or Byrd. He's not worth the $. Now if we cut him and re-signed him to vet minimum I'd be on board with that. I did call cutting Whitner in pre-season. Anyone who had eyes noticed the huge difference in coverage on Gates with Donte or with Scott covering him.

Donte is just that bad in coverage. Decent to good with the run, but not a starter, and certainly a bust.

What about John Guy, who has been Bills pro personnel director since Donahoe brought him here in 2001 and his fellow vice president, Tom Modrak? Were they part of the recent house-cleaning? Not sure how you can draft Whitners and Maybins and not get booted along with the rest of the staff?

To say Whitner was the second best SS prospect implies that he was a first round prospect because of Huff's overrated status. That's not the case. For the most part Whitner was not considered even first round material, let alone #8 overall. And not to split hairs, because I mostly agree with what you say, but I don't think the Ravens would trade Ngata for our top ten pick straight up. Donte is less than worthless in a trade because of his high base salary because of his overdrafted status. He's making more than Ngata!

Whitner wasn't expected to be a first-rounder?

Draft King #31 to Seattle

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2006/mockdraft.shtml

ESPN #27 to the Panthers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2423861

walterfootball #31 to Seattle

http://walterfootball.com/draft2006.php

Those were the first three I checked.

He was expected to be a first-rounder but to go late in the round.

Whitner wasn't expected to be a first-rounder?

Draft King #31 to Seattle

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2006/mockdraft.shtml

ESPN #27 to the Panthers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2423861

walterfootball #31 to Seattle

http://walterfootball.com/draft2006.php

Those were the first three I checked.

He was expected to be a first-rounder but to go late in the round.

So by the best account, we overpicked him by 19 picks.

Instead of taking rthe guy that surprisingly FELL to us, Ngata, we went way the other direction.

Is Marv avail to take over as head coach this go round?

Agreed. With a roster that is so talent depleted, why in the hell would you cut a guy who is one of your top 10 players. The problem with Lynch is that he's a rythm guy. Last year was a perfect example, he got the ball a ton down the stretch and played very well. I wish he didn't drop every other ball thrown his way though. Trade him for nothing less than a 2nd or a 1st round trade up piece, otherwise he is a great backup.

Yeah, I think that's right. Lynch needs the ball a lot to show what he's got.

Yeah, I think that's right. Lynch needs the ball a lot to show what he's got.

If Lynch can stay focused, he and Jackson can be a great combo. Maybe not in the same class as Peterson and Chester Taylor or Johnson and Lendale White, but you get the idea...