Schobel contemplating retirement

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually be ok with him retiring.

I realize that he has 7 sacks this year and is having an all around solid season. But he has a massive contract and this money could be allocated to other positions of need.

Obviously I would prefer he decide not to retire...but I won't be devastated.

Bye now! Most. Over-rated. DE. EVER.

Indeed. Man has one move, swing out and run around the tackle. If the secondary has good coverage working and the QB has held onto the ball, Schobel might get a sack by surprising him as he runs up from behind.

Seems a nice enough guy and I'm sure he works hard, but definitely overpaid. We could use that money to shore up other areas.

Kelsay should be encouraged to retire as well.

wow!

This organization sure is good at sucking the life out of fans and players alike

Reminds me of the Barry Sanders retirement after the '99 season. Certainly doesn't carry the weight of a HOF RB, but it's telling about this team. Schobel doesn't normally speak much, but his comments after the Tennessee game were indicative that there are major problems and most likely another rebuilding project to start next season.

Like him or hate him, he's the best we have by far. He'd be a big loss to this team. Losing him would create yet another gaping hole needing to be filled.

You have to respect that kind of mental toughness and honesty ... to publicly say what he just said.

I hope he takes his time and makes up his mind to do whatever is best for him. He's been one of the best Bills for a long time.

He has had a great career. You don't get to be 2nd all time team sacks by being over-rated.

I will agree that he is not currently worth his contract as he has slowed some.

Someone here once summed up his career perfectly:

"By the time Schoebel finished circling the parking lot to get to the QB, the tD had already been scored."

Aaron Schoebel is a name. There are perhaps a dozen other guys I'd rather have as a #1, and he'd be a backup on ANY competent team.

Like him or hate him, he's the best we have by far. He'd be a big loss to this team. Losing him would create yet another gaping hole needing to be filled.

You have to respect that kind of mental toughness and honesty ... to publicly say what he just said.

I hope he takes his time and makes up his mind to do whatever is best for him. He's been one of the best Bills for a long time.

+1 Exactly what I was thinking Thurman.

I would actually be ok with him retiring.

I realize that he has 7 sacks this year and is having an all around solid season. But he has a massive contract and this money could be allocated to other positions of need.

Obviously I would prefer he decide not to retire...but I won't be devastated.

Massive is really overstating it.

According to Rotoworld, the numbers look like this:

2010: $6.025 mill

2011: $6.5 mill

2012: $6.5 mill

2013: $8.5 mill

Only the 2013 number looks big, and by 2013, it won't anymore.

Anyone we bring in to replace him, assuming they can perform at his level or higher, will cost as much or probably more.