Schobel contemplating retirement

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to be a lot like Phil Hanson sounded after enduring a losing season and then retiring. By seasons end, Schobel will have logged enough plays this season to have played in 19 games.

Whether he retires or not will depend on the Bills plans going forward. He might not be in them. Or, if the Bills come to their senses and switch to the 3-4, he might be able to play an OLB for a couple of years, much like Bryce Paup. He'd have to put up Bryce Paup numbers though, to justify his salary.

Someone here once summed up his career perfectly:

"By the time Schoebel finished circling the parking lot to get to the QB, the tD had already been scored."

Aaron Schoebel is a name. There are perhaps a dozen other guys I'd rather have as a #1, and he'd be a backup on ANY competent team.

I recall Billy Bellicheat saying once that Schoebel wouldn't even make the Pats* as a backup.

PTR

If he retires, does he forfeit the entirety of his contract? If so, I can't imagine he'll retire. I don't care what kind of person you are (and I know Schobel is a different breed of player), you don't turn down that much money.

Think about it. Not every professional player blows every penny they make. He could live very well on a very small portion of his salary and bank the rest. Then if invested properly he could live very well on what he's saved over the years. Seeing how badly football !@#$s up your body I'd want out early too.

I agree that Schobel is the most productive DE we have, but to tell you the truth I think it would be a good thing.

He is an aging player who most likely would continue his decline into next year, it would free up a good bit of money that we could use to find another DE, and there would be a forced committment from the FO to go after some DE's either in the draft or FA or both.

It's time to clean house

seems to be a lot like Phil Hanson sounded after enduring a losing season and then retiring. By seasons end, Schobel will have logged enough plays this season to have played in 19 games.

Whether he retires or not will depend on the Bills plans going forward. He might not be in them. Or, if the Bills come to their senses and switch to the 3-4, he might be able to play an OLB for a couple of years, much like Bryce Paup. He'd have to put up Bryce Paup numbers though, to justify his salary.

Please don't compare a warrior like Phil Hansen to this guy. Couldn't be more opposite. Schobel's a (diminishing) talent to be sure, but his attitude has ALWAYS been horrible. He's not dispirited, he's just his normal surly self. Phil was the ultimate team guy.

Massive is really overstating it.

According to Rotoworld, the numbers look like this:

2010: $6.025 mill

2011: $6.5 mill

2012: $6.5 mill

2013: $8.5 mill

Only the 2013 number looks big, and by 2013, it won't anymore.

Anyone we bring in to replace him, assuming they can perform at his level or higher, will cost as much or probably more.

Those numbers are only base salary though. Maybe massive was overstating it. Regardless, it is still a large contract that would be off the Bills books...

I agree that Schobel is the most productive DE we have, but to tell you the truth I think it would be a good thing.

He is an aging player who most likely would continue his decline into next year, it would free up a good bit of money that we could use to find another DE, and there would be a forced committment from the FO to go after some DE's either in the draft or FA or both.

It's time to clean house

Total agreement you can take Kalsey Ellison in the cleansweep.

I think he'll comeback. He's probably bummed and needs to go back home and get his battery recharged. If we get a respectable coach/GM he'll be chomping at the bit to play.

Totally agree. I'll bet half the defense is thinking about retirement after this season. get some good changes during the offseason, or at least the chance to rest, and they'll all be back. For better or worse.