Is a win a win?

If you look at the 5 Bills wins this year the stats paint an awful picture. I know they are doing what they have to to win, but these stats don't tell you ANYTHING about the team that we have.

Giving up over 150 rushing yards/game

passing for less than 100 yards/game

This is not a formula for success...even these 5 wins seem to be a farce.

I would prefer to have lost most of these games, but shown a great proficiency in certain areas...Remember when Kelly came on board? We lost a lot of games, but man we found out what a qb we had.

If you look at the 5 Bills wins this year the stats paint an awful picture. I know they are doing what they have to to win, but these stats don't tell you ANYTHING about the team that we have.

I would prefer to have lost most of these games, but shown a great proficiency in certain areas...Remember when Kelly came on board? We lost a lot of games, but man we found out what a qb we had.

:thumbsup::):w00t:

so you would rather look good in certain areas than win ugly?

glad you aren't in the running for our next head coach

I hate,,,,HATE this notion that losing is the best thing for the franchise. I like that we are not at the very bottom like Cle, KC, Det, TB, etc... It shows that even with our skeleton crew lineup, this team is really not MILES away from being credible. Even the teams that pick in the top 10, seem todo so every year. High picks don't mean certain improvement. Of course we need a QB, a healthy O-line and some LB's. The Bills can build that up picking where they will and some F/A moves.

I for one am rooting big time for wins over NE and Indy. If they lay an egg in the Atlanta game I won't be too upset but still want to win it.

You would rather be 0-16? Can we stop these ' I'd rather lose threads'?

The Bills are taking every short-term measure to avoid bottoming out. A 26-35 record in four seasons of rebuilding means we're good enough to beat bad teams, but unable to win when it matters.

Most fans want to see the team win, and I subscribe to the theory that a higher draft pick doesn't guarantee success next season. But the question remains: Try to be mediocre (which is what we're doing) OR bottom out and start over. Neither is fun, but only the latter might provide substantial change for the benefit of future Bills teams.

At the least, there's no doubt the NFL product is as watered down this year as any previous season.

The idea that you can make yourself better by losing is absurd. Any free agent is less likely to join a 1-15 team than they are to join a 7-9 team. I'm not sure where you think picking a few slots higher on guys that may or may not ever be any good is better than having a team that free agents might actually want to come to. So just shut the hell up with the "we should lose" crap. The best teams in the league pick at the back of the draft every year, but they still seem to find talent (see Patriots). No matter where you pick there are impact players to be had. The problem is the Bills can't recognize talent, and thus it makes little difference where we pick. I would rather make at bad pick at #11 than make a bad pick at #2 and have to pay more for that bad pick.

It's really easy people, no need for all these should we lose threads! I always root for the Bills to win, heck I was hooting and hollering during a boring KC game last week. The only difference is, if the Bills lose, it's no big deal. You don't get mad or upset because in the long run it may be better for them. Picking in the top 10 doesn't guarantee anything, you still need a competent front office. Look at the Steelers past 10 first round picks and you'll get an all-star lineup. I haven't done the research, but I know most of those were not top 10 picks. Now GO BILLS, beat them damn Patsie's!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):w00t::w00t:

so you would rather look good in certain areas than win ugly?

glad you aren't in the running for our next head coach

Yes. What's more important.. .the Bills winning games? Or your fantasy players having nice stats, along with a few highlights on ESPN? I think you have your priorities all wrong if you want low scoring, ugly wins over better FF numbers. :thumbsup:

Last time i checked if you scored more points than the other team in a game that went in the W column. So yes a win is still a win. Unless i missed something? :)

Yes. What's more important.. .the Bills winning games? Or your fantasy players having nice stats, along with a few highlights on ESPN? I think you have your priorities all wrong if you want low scoring, ugly wins over better FF numbers. :thumbsup:

Fantasy Football has ruined true fanhood in the NFL, I'l admit i play it, but there is no sense of fanhood anymore. Cheering for your arch rival just so your WR has a big game in fantasy.

The idea that you can make yourself better by losing is absurd. Any free agent is less likely to join a 1-15 team than they are to join a 7-9 team. I'm not sure where you think picking a few slots higher on guys that may or may not ever be any good is better than having a team that free agents might actually want to come to. So just shut the hell up with the "we should lose" crap. The best teams in the league pick at the back of the draft every year, but they still seem to find talent (see Patriots). No matter where you pick there are impact players to be had. The problem is the Bills can't recognize talent, and thus it makes little difference where we pick. I would rather make at bad pick at #11 than make a bad pick at #2 and have to pay more for that bad pick.

Guys, my point was not necessarily about the draft position...instead, have we been finding out what we really have? And therefore what we really need. These wins where the stats are so utterly lopsided towards the loosing team don't seem to tell the true story of the game. Granted, this type of game happens once in every team's season, but of the 5 wins, the Jets, Carolina, and KC wins showed me that the Bills are capable of scrapping for wins, but little else about the talent on the team. As long as we are in a re-building situation, I would rather see the team "let it all hang out" and not worry about the win. So if we lose 41-38, I think I would feel better about that loss than a 13-10 win where we played so conservatively that we limited the abilities/opportunities of our best players.

Fantasy Football has ruined true fanhood in the NFL, I'l admit i play it, but there is no sense of fanhood anymore. Cheering for your arch rival just so your WR has a big game in fantasy.

That's why I don't play fantasy football. Not way I'm cheering Wes "the Weasel" Welker to have a big game to pad my Fantasy stats.

Go BILLS !!

Guys, my point was not necessarily about the draft position...instead, have we been finding out what we really have? And therefore what we really need. These wins where the stats are so utterly lopsided towards the loosing team don't seem to tell the true story of the game. Granted, this type of game happens once in every team's season, but of the 5 wins, the Jets, Carolina, and KC wins showed me that the Bills are capable of scrapping for wins, but little else about the talent on the team. As long as we are in a re-building situation, I would rather see the team "let it all hang out" and not worry about the win. So if we lose 41-38, I think I would feel better about that loss than a 13-10 win where we played so conservatively that we limited the abilities/opportunities of our best players.

It is usually difficult to see who has won a game by just looking at yardage stats. Stats mean very little. These few wins are not going to change what most here think this team needs.

You would rather lose 41-38 than win 13-10? Just when I think I can never be shocked by something....

I hate,,,,HATE this notion that losing is the best thing for the franchise. I like that we are not at the very bottom like Cle, KC, Det, TB, etc... It shows that even with our skeleton crew lineup, this team is really not MILES away from being credible. Even the teams that pick in the top 10, seem todo so every year. High picks don't mean certain improvement.

Amen. Does anyone really think that if we move up a draft pick or two, that we will get a superstar? We have had chances like that and blew it anyway. Never root for your team to lose. Losing damages a team in several ways. Getting a higher draft pick doesn't offset the damage.

I agree completely.

If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, we're not going to do it by throwing for 80 yards per game.

I don't root for the team to lose. I want them to win AND I want them to show signs of life that would give me hope that they are close to being a playoff-caliber team. And if I had to choose, it would be the latter.

I hate to say it, but the bills need a qb, and the more they lose the more likely it becomes that they get one. How nice would it have been to lose 1 more game the year that Big Ben was taken 9th overall by the Steelers. In addition, do you think the colts regret being god awful the year prior to drafting Manning, or the Falcons the year before getting Ryan. How about the Bengals stinking it up the year before drafting Palmer. To be fair, we have had chances. Flaco and Cutler were availabe when the bills picked. More times than not however you either get your qb early or get lucky, as the Patriots did with Brady and the Cowboys did with Romo.

I hate to say it, but the bills need a qb, and the more they lose the more likely it becomes that they get one. How nice would it have been to lose 1 more game the year that Big Ben was taken 9th overall by the Steelers. In addition, do you think the colts regret being god awful the year prior to drafting Manning, or the Falcons the year before getting Ryan. How about the Bengals stinking it up the year before drafting Palmer. To be fair, we have had chances. Flaco and Cutler were availabe when the bills picked. More times than not however you either get your qb early or get lucky, as the Patriots did with Brady and the Cowboys did with Romo.

Yes, the Bills desperately need a QB, but drafting high doesn't guarantee anything. There have been some big time busts to go along with the players you listed:

1999 #1 pick Tim couch, #3 Akili Smith

2002 #1 pick David Carr, #3 Joey Harrington

2003 #7 Byron Leftwich (decent, but not a franchise QB)

2004 #22 Darryl Lamonica

2005 #1 Alex Smith (jury is still out on him)

2006 #3 Vince Young (see Alex Smith), #10 Matt Leinart

2007 #1 JaMarcus Russell

So, picking high is still hit or miss and if you miss on a high draft pick QB it sets the franchise back even farther....

On paper, since everything needs to be totally blown up after the season, there really isn't any point in getting wins. The front office, coaching staff, and a good chunk of the players should be gone next year, so who cares. Those players who will be back will still have to be deprogrammed by the new regime and cleansed of the losing mentality that is instilled in them, another win or two in the current environment won't really make a difference. Now I can't root for a Bills loss no matter what, as soon as I see them playing, I want a win. But if they lose, I'm not getting too upset at all.

On paper, since everything needs to be totally blown up after the season, there really isn't any point in getting wins. The front office, coaching staff, and a good chunk of the players should be gone next year, so who cares. Those players who will be back will still have to be deprogrammed by the new regime and cleansed of the losing mentality that is instilled in them, another win or two in the current environment won't really make a difference. Now I can't root for a Bills loss no matter what, as soon as I see them playing, I want a win. But if they lose, I'm not getting too upset at all.

how about ending a 12 consecutive loss streak. thats good enough for me!

how about being the team that breaks indys perfect season. thats good enough for me!

officially eliminating falcons....ok i'll give u this one.