Fewell on Maybin

CountDorkula

JP's better then anything we have now :ph34r:

Right. You're brilliant. A true gem of a poster and obviously an astute evaluator of QB talent. Thanks for posting. You are awesome. Really, I mean it. You are the best poster here, not to mention the best informed and most rational.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Right. You're brilliant. A true gem of a poster and obviously an astute evaluator of QB talent. Thanks for posting. You are awesome. Really, I mean it. You are the best poster here, not to mention the best informed and most rational.

Ummmm, your avatar's the ugliest

Sorry, its the best I've got for you. :ph34r:

Guest dog14787
I have to agree with you I will say we are evaluating on e of the most important positions on the field HC.

Its also HC's job is to develop and evaluate players, winning does nothing for the Buffalo Bills for the remainder of this season, but player evaluation and development does for next season.

AFter watching Fewell's press conference yesterday i realize that Maybin was a waste of a pick. It has nothing to do with his ability. The Bills drafted him to play Left End. They tried to trade Kelsey in the offseason. They realize after getting him that he is a natural Right End which has a pro bowl player on that side.

Someone didn't do their homework.

I know this place is good at grudges...somebody should save these, so when Maybin turns out to be a stud, you can put them in your signature.

At this point, it is not hurting us any to have him as a project. It may end up working to our advantage. Next year, at the ripe old age of 22 he will have a year of NFL experience, and still be younger than a lot of guys coming out in the draft. The obvious issues with his being overpowered will, no doubt, be addressed in the off season. He is not Schobel or Kelsay. He is 21 years old. He still can add muscle and bulk quickly. The other undersized DE's we have are on the physical decline.

Maybin does have some fire, maybe a little misplaced, but he has emotion...see his celebrating every tackle. He is a competitor, and is embarrassed of his lack of productivity, be sure of that.

A little HGH, a strong workout program...this guy will be stronger. Hopefully he has a little help on D, and isn't surrounded by the practice squad and can play to his strengths.

It won't really matter though, because even he turns into a Pro-Bowler, there will be something to complain about, and that is what is truly important. It is hard to believe that people think the FO needs to be held accountable for this...if this was even close to the worst thing they had done, we would be in good shape.

It's hard to see him celebrating if we have to wait until each tackle.

How much more HGH can this kid consume? He already miraculously added 25 pounds of solid muscle in 2 months before the combine. His bones are going to start snapping like Poz's.

Its also HC's job is to develop and evaluate players, winning does nothing for the Buffalo Bills for the remainder of this season, but player evaluation and development does for next season.

No actually that is the job of the positional coaches the HC only evaluates unless he has some expertise in that area. The head coaches job is to win football games and to figure out who the best players are and put them on the field. I am sure that RW told him to try and win out. If we lose this week we may see some evaluation. Not likely though.

Winning does a lot for Fewell. It's his only chance at keeping a job here. Why in the world should he give a crap about developing players for another head coach? That makes no sense (much like you Losman love but I digress :ph34r: ).

If the Bills came up to Fewell and told him the job was his, I'm sure he would have a much different approach and we'd see more young players right now. But his job at this point is to win as much as he can.

Are the first 15 picks not supposed to be instant contributors in the NFL???

Not necessarily, but you would think a struggling franchise like the Bills would place a premium on NFL ready guys in the draft.

You'd also think any team would place a premium on guys that are not 25 pounds underweight for their position.

No actually that is the job of the positional coaches the HC only evaluates unless he has some expertise in that area. The head coaches job is to win football games and to figure out who the best players are and put them on the field. I am sure that RW told him to try and win out. If we lose this week we may see some evaluation. Not likely though.

Just to further explain things all of you forget all the injuries we have had RW has not he doesn't want to wait 2 years to win He is hoping that Fewell will be a more compitent coach than Dick. We are only a strength and conditioning coach and a head coach with a mean streak away from being a contender. We will get the MLB we need and some O-line depth this off season and be competitive and eventually we will find a franchise QB and may already have one in Brohm. TE will flurish in a west coast offense somewhere else people forget the man who recommended him was I believe the inventor of the west coast offense unfortunately he died before he could explain that to Levy. Don't be surprised if we bring back JP or sign Vick. We won't take a QB in the draft unless it is a mid or late round pick and Maybin is the err operand to Schoebel if not a LB. You may see us trade Schoebel next year.

Not necessarily, but you would think a struggling franchise like the Bills would place a premium on NFL ready guys in the draft.

You'd also think any team would place a premium on guys that are not 25 pounds underweight for their position.

DE was seen as a bigger need during the draft than it appears to be now. If AM went through a training camp and showed some progress, I won't have been surprised to see Kelsay, Denney, or Ellis cut. But he missed all of training camp and threw a monkey wrench into any of those plans.

The other part about readiness vs. upside is an interesting one. There were more polished players at DE coming out at the draft. Everett Brown has a whooping 5 more tackles and 1.5 sacks than Maybin. His ceiling is probably not nearly as high as Maybin's.

I was thrilled with the pick but we will have a better idea 5 years down the road. IF AM turns into a Freeney type player, will we really care about a rookie year when he was 21 years old?

Like some on this thread, I don't have a problem with Maybin himself, but with the pick. Maybin has shown flashes of ability, but he was clearly a project, not someone who could play right away. That's why the pick made no sense. One would think that the team would be approaching the first round of the draft with the mindset to get a player who would contribute right away. Another problem with "project" picks is that they need good people around them to help them develop, and a winning system. The Bills of the 90's were able to develop "project" picks on a regular basis because they already had a winning system and a core group of players who could help them develop.

Hopefully the next front office will reverse the thinking: Draft in the first round with idea of immediate contribution, and draft in the late rounds with the idea of "project".

Even so, the truth is that the first round of the draft is always a crap shoot. Because of the money involved, the expectations are so high that it's either boom or bust.

DE was seen as a bigger need during the draft than it appears to be now.

I was thrilled with the pick but we will have a better idea 5 years down the road. IF AM turns into a Freeney type player, will we really care about a rookie year when he was 21 years old?

Agreed that at the time DE was supposed to be a need position. But I disagree with your last statement.

First of all, I thought he would take time to start making an impact because he missed TC. But we are close to the end of the season and I am disappointed he still has not shown anything. Again, he may be one of the players that will take time to develop and that may be fine. But we did not have that luxury this year. We could have drafted a player who could have contributed as Levitre, Wood and Byrd have done. Even if Maybin becomes a dominant player couple of years down the road, I would still call it the wrong pick for this year. We are left wondering what a good LT would have done for our season.

Guest dog14787
Winning does a lot for Fewell. It's his only chance at keeping a job here. Why in the world should he give a crap about developing players for another head coach? That makes no sense (much like you Losman love but I digress :ph34r: ).

If the Bills came up to Fewell and told him the job was his, I'm sure he would have a much different approach and we'd see more young players right now. But his job at this point is to win as much as he can.

Some folks seem to think just because you put less experienced players in the starting lineup it automatically equates to losses and that's simply not true. Sometimes the younger players add a spark.

Put it this way, what has anyone on our offense done that constitutes earning a start besides veteran RB Fred Jackson, and even there we should be putting the guy on the shelf for next season because we know what Fred's got, on the other hand Marshawn Lynch needs the reps.

So no, I'm not buying it, Fewell should be sprinkling in the Rookies and younger players at this point in the game in my opinion.

DE was seen as a bigger need during the draft than it appears to be now. If AM went through a training camp and showed some progress, I won't have been surprised to see Kelsay, Denney, or Ellis cut. But he missed all of training camp and threw a monkey wrench into any of those plans.

The other part about readiness vs. upside is an interesting one. There were more polished players at DE coming out at the draft. Everett Brown has a whooping 5 more tackles and 1.5 sacks than Maybin. His ceiling is probably not nearly as high as Maybin's.

Why should we have to wait 5 years to figure out (only a "better idea", at that?) if it was a good pick??

If he is to become a "Freeney-like" player, he better hurry up---Dwight's rookie numbers were frighteningly good.

It's hard to see him celebrating if we have to wait until each tackle.

How much more HGH can this kid consume? He already miraculously added 25 pounds of solid muscle in 2 months before the combine. His bones are going to start snapping like Poz's.

It wasn't miraculous, WEO. He's a 21-year-old that was placed on a strict eating regimen and worked out for 4+ hours per day.

When I was 25, I put on 12 lbs of quality weight in the same amount of time working out for 90 minutes a day and eating a pretty loose diet. To think that a 21-year-old can't do twice that much with more effort is crazy.

And yes, he'll definitely fill out more as he ages through his 20's, that's a natural thing.