Fewell on Maybin

CountDorkula

Go look thru the recent drafts of ends and outside linebacker and see how many you can find that could be labeled "dynamic" in their rookie year. It is one of if not thee hardest position to do well at in a players rookie year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the kid a chance. He's got the fire and desire. That will get him somewhere. It's not his fault where he was picked in the draft.

He has a high motor and a great first step, and I hear he is a fine young gentleman and great in the locker room...lol

Kidding aside I really hope you are right.

Give the kid a chance. He's got the fire and desire. That will get him somewhere. It's not his fault where he was picked in the draft.

But it definitely was his fault to hold out through the entire training camp....Rookies who miss out training camps hurt themselves bad.

Exactly.

I am one who often whines about how wrong the conventional wisdom can be compared to reality (like the expectation a first round pick should start immediately or at least soon in his rookie year- in reality a 1st rounder is a little over 50% likely to first on the depth chart at his position his second year- and that is simply the reality).

Maybin disappointed this year big time, but to write him off right now as a stupid pick may prove to be true in a couple of years but is simply premature right now.

I'm not discrediting the pick i was just stating the fact that the coaching staff, our HC and DC said this guy is not good enough to help this team win. This can either work to ways. A) (which i hope happens) Lights a fire under his a$$ and turns him into a monster DE/LB or B) kills his spirit/drive and makes him think "did i make the right choice, am i good enough to be here" We have seen it before with this coaching staff... :)

Um, just guessing, but I think he was talking about QBs.

there should be a zombie reply function.

thats what mode i was in.

i read "jp is the best we got"

right away my zombie mind said, "oh hell no he's not. he can clean my house though. what about byrd?" then i kept naming and naming.

without regard to the previous posts.

anyway please forgive me as i was in zombie mode. which i think i usually am anyway!

Someone has to pay for drafting Maybin. I suspect Modrak will be fired at the end of the season. The move to pick him was a complete disaster from day one. It's one thing to not be good enough despite being physically capable. Maybin on the other hand not only is not good enough but he's built like a WR- long and lean. How the Bills scouts didn't envision him getting physically manhandled on the defensive line is beyond me. No offseason weight program is going to change his genetic make-up.

I'm not sure Modrak has done such a bad job. One huge problem with this organization is that you don't know who has been calling the shots on draft day. Besides every team misses on some draft choices. Byrd, Levitre and Wood seem like good picks at this point. Even if Maybin is a bust, if those three become stars or even solid performers, it would be considered a good draft. Also Nelson and Lankster have potential. If they hire a GM, Modrak still might lose his job, but I am not anxious to run him out of town, at least not as long as I don't know who has been making these decisions.

If Maybin is a "pure RDE," why not play him at RDE? I mean WTF? Put him out there at a position he is suited for and see if he can make a freaking play. Or is it really that Schobel, a veteran Pro Bowler, is also a "pure RDE" and totally !@#$ing useless anywhere else? So playing the kid who has been pretty close to useless at LDE in the pass rush with Schobel locked in at the only position he can play is the best they can do?

It would've been nice if the Bills brilliant scouting department had figured that one out before the draft. It's hard to connect the dots in the NFL. Having two guys that can only play the same position isn't going to help anyone until one of them (or both) is gone. :lol: