Len P Throws the Wet Blanket on the Shanahan Rumors

Coach Tuesday

From today's Tip Sheet:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...&id=4674219

Although the Buffalo Bills already have contacted Mike Shanahan about their coaching vacancy, as first reported earlier this week by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it could be difficult luring him to western New York to try to revive a program that will almost certainly suffer a fifth straight losing season and hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Certainly the franchise has a terrific tradition, its fixation with Toronto aside, and a loyal (but long-suffering) fan base. But there figure to be more attractive opportunities for Shanahan and for several of the other high-profile coaches looking to return to the league. Second, while Ralph Wilson isn't considered nearly as meddlesome as many of his peers, the Buffalo owner has historically found it difficult to grant the kind of control it will take to land Shanahan. That control, much more than finances, could be a factor in Buffalo's next hire. One Bills staffer told ESPN.com this week that contacting Shanahan was more a "wish-list courtesy call" that wasn't expected to seriously interest him. There either have been or soon will be, the source suggested, similar contacts with other "more realistic" potential candidates. As noted in published reports elsewhere, don't rule out former NFL coach Jim Haslett, who is currently in the UFL and wants back into the big time.

If they hire Haslett, I'm going to start rooting for the Giants. I am dead serious, I'm done.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's Tip Sheet:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...&id=4674219

Although the Buffalo Bills already have contacted Mike Shanahan about their coaching vacancy, as first reported earlier this week by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it could be difficult luring him to western New York to try to revive a program that will almost certainly suffer a fifth straight losing season and hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Certainly the franchise has a terrific tradition, its fixation with Toronto aside, and a loyal (but long-suffering) fan base. But there figure to be more attractive opportunities for Shanahan and for several of the other high-profile coaches looking to return to the league. Second, while Ralph Wilson isn't considered nearly as meddlesome as many of his peers, the Buffalo owner has historically found it difficult to grant the kind of control it will take to land Shanahan. That control, much more than finances, could be a factor in Buffalo's next hire. One Bills staffer told ESPN.com this week that contacting Shanahan was more a "wish-list courtesy call" that wasn't expected to seriously interest him. There either have been or soon will be, the source suggested, similar contacts with other "more realistic" potential candidates. As noted in published reports elsewhere, don't rule out former NFL coach Jim Haslett, who is currently in the UFL and wants back into the big time.

If they hire Haslett, I'm going to start rooting for the Giants. I am dead serious, I'm done.

If they go the chicken**** route, yes will do same, albeit it will be the Steelers... and I will drive into the Ralph Wiggam parking lot and have an impromptu "Bills Bonfire"... "Relentless" might make for good kindling.

:angry:

I was watching ESPN news and they mentioned that Dungy could be a serious candidate. They did note what he did for the Tampa frachise as well as Indy. Maybe that is why he said Vick would be in Buffalo next year.

I was watching ESPN news and they mentioned that Dungy could be a serious candidate. They did note what he did for the Tampa frachise as well as Indy. Maybe that is why he said Vick would be in Buffalo next year.

Super!

Nothing like trading one dead, emotionless, Tampa 2 loving, defensive coach for another one.

So what he is saying is that Buffalo isn't sexy enough for Shanny? Is that based in fact or just an opinion? Adam Shefter, a Denver guy who knows Shanny personally, reported that Shanahan liked Buffalo better than Washington because of Snyder's reputation for meddling. Now Ralph also sticks his nose in now and then, but I think this time he will leave the coach alone.

PTR

So what he is saying is that Buffalo isn't sexy enough for Shanny? Is that based in fact or just an opinion? Adam Shefter, a Denver guy who knows Shanny personally, reported that Shanahan liked Buffalo better than Washington because of Snyder's reputation for meddling. Now Ralph also sticks his nose in no and then, but I think this time he will leave the coach alone.

PTR

Also, Schefter once wrote a book with Shanahan. I trust his knowledge of Shanny a lot more than Pasquarelli's.

My question is why would the "Bills source" say what Lenny P reports? Seems odd that someone with knowledge and credibility would tell Lenny P that this is just "wish list courtesy call." Even if true, why would you ever tell Lenny P or anyone else.

The whole story is odd.

My question is why would the "Bills source" say what Lenny P reports? Seems odd that someone with knowledge and credibility would tell Lenny P that this is just "wish list courtesy call." Even if true, why would you ever tell Lenny P or anyone else.

The whole story is odd.

Because your job is likely about to be terminated and you're doing what you can to stop the vultures from circling and to make the appropriate connections.

Because your job is likely about to be terminated and you're doing what you can to stop the vultures from circling and to make the appropriate connections.

That is what I was thinking could be the only possibility -- which means the source is not credible.

I dont need Shanny, or Cowher, or Holmgren. But if we pass up guys like Gruden, Dungy, Billick for Haslett I will walk to the stadium while eating a Mighty Pack with extra hot sauce, break onto the field and take a hot steaming dump on the 50 yard line logo.

I am shocked. Dungy left an outstanding situation with a great GM, owner and personnel with at least a few HOFers, and a great supporting cast. I cant imagine one wanting to leave that situation then wanting to come into this one now.

Marty is probably the only realistic name of those expereinced coaches mentioned. Gruden perhaps on the outside.

Super!

Nothing like trading one dead, emotionless, Tampa 2 loving, defensive coach for another one.

My thoughts exactly. It works in a dome, even TB, but not here although someone will say it did in Pittsburgh 30 years ago. Unfortunately, they had Joe Greene, Lambert, Ham, Blount, Greenwood, and several solid players.

Dungy did win a SB, which is something no one can take away from him. But I never had the feeling he was quick on the sidelines and Manning was more the reason they were successful. That, and Bill Polian finding the players. Sound familiar?

The whole story is odd.

You know who the source is? Jerry Sullivan. Lenny P. Asked Sully what he thinks and Sully let his his sunny disposition pour out.

PTR

I dont need Shanny, or Cowher, or Holmgren. But if we pass up guys like Gruden, Dungy, Billick for Haslett I will walk to the stadium while eating a Mighty Pack with extra hot sauce, break onto the field and take a hot steaming dump on the 50 yard line logo.

Can you grab me a Nachos Deluxe and a Chicken Fajita?

I'll be there to drop a steamer on the 30... better yet, the goal line that the Bills so infrequently cross.