Len P Throws the Wet Blanket on the Shanahan Rumors

Coach Tuesday

If they hire Haslett, I'm going to start rooting for the Giants. I am dead serious, I'm done.

Jim Haslett was fired because his Saints quit on him just like the Bills did on Jauron this year. Total disaster if Haslett becomes the head coach of the Bills.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they hire Haslett, Fassell, or Gilbride I swear I am done with the Bills. I already live in Portland OR and have to spend over $300 for Sunday Ticket to watch this recurring nightmare. If they do not hire a proven winner or at least one of the hottest offensive coordintors I am done. I'll just watch college football and golf on Sundays.

I dont need Shanny, or Cowher, or Holmgren. But if we pass up guys like Gruden, Dungy, Billick for Haslett I will walk to the stadium while eating a Mighty Pack with extra hot sauce, break onto the field and take a hot steaming dump on the 50 yard line logo.

Thanks for the visual....

Someone else asked if, considering it is the Bills, he would even consider going there. Schefter then said, hes listening. Making it sound more like he is interested, than he isn't.

Agreed. Someone asked Shefter:

> You know shanahan..would he even consider the Bills?

To which Shefter replied:

> He's listening, isn't he?

Super!

Nothing like trading one dead, emotionless, Tampa 2 loving, defensive coach for another one.

Agreed. Look Ralph better wake the hell up, fans aren't stupid and they are tired of this BS. He is going to finally have to pay the BIG bucks and get the !@#$ out of the way and hand the keys over. If he doesn't and hires some 2nd hand guy to come in, he will lose the fan base.

Agreed. Look Ralph better wake the hell up, fans aren't stupid and they are tired of this BS. He is going to finally have to pay the BIG bucks and get the !@#$ out of the way and hand the keys over. If he doesn't and hires some 2nd hand guy to come in, he will lose the fan base.

That's a broad statement.

Didn't Shefter hint on his twitter that Buffalo isn't Shanahan's kind of place? Sounds consistent with Lenny's reporting.

None of these guys are coming to live in Buffalo. Give me a break. Unless the coach has a personal reason or level of interest, or history, they ain't moving to buffalo. that goes for people in general. Its not a place you move to without some personal reason, unless its the only job available... which will not be the case for the top candidates. Lets just stop the nonsense and be happy if we can get a Haslett (who lived here and played here at one point).

I dont need Shanny, or Cowher, or Holmgren. But if we pass up guys like Gruden, Dungy, Billick for Haslett I will walk to the stadium while eating a Mighty Pack with extra hot sauce, break onto the field and take a hot steaming dump on the 50 yard line logo.

Not extra hot sauce... COME 'ON!

From today's Tip Sheet:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...&id=4674219

Although the Buffalo Bills already have contacted Mike Shanahan about their coaching vacancy, as first reported earlier this week by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it could be difficult luring him to western New York to try to revive a program that will almost certainly suffer a fifth straight losing season and hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Certainly the franchise has a terrific tradition, its fixation with Toronto aside, and a loyal (but long-suffering) fan base. But there figure to be more attractive opportunities for Shanahan and for several of the other high-profile coaches looking to return to the league. Second, while Ralph Wilson isn't considered nearly as meddlesome as many of his peers, the Buffalo owner has historically found it difficult to grant the kind of control it will take to land Shanahan. That control, much more than finances, could be a factor in Buffalo's next hire. One Bills staffer told ESPN.com this week that contacting Shanahan was more a "wish-list courtesy call" that wasn't expected to seriously interest him. There either have been or soon will be, the source suggested, similar contacts with other "more realistic" potential candidates. As noted in published reports elsewhere, don't rule out former NFL coach Jim Haslett, who is currently in the UFL and wants back into the big time.

If they hire Haslett, I'm going to start rooting for the Giants. I am dead serious, I'm done.

I wouldnt be too mad about Haslett, but that Canadian guy? no thanks.

None of these guys are coming to live in Buffalo. Give me a break. Unless the coach has a personal reason or level of interest, or history, they ain't moving to buffalo. that goes for people in general. Its not a place you move to without some personal reason, unless its the only job available... which will not be the case for the top candidates. Lets just stop the nonsense and be happy if we can get a Haslett (who lived here and played here at one point).

WHAT? Are you kidding me? I personally know about 20 people that have moved here in the last 3 years from other regions???

Haslett has about the same resume as Jauron. One really good season and a bunch of bad ones. Then an interim gig where the team had virtually no interest in keeping him on as head coach. Just because he's got the best bunch of NFL rejects in a 4 team league, doesn't mean he should coach the Bills. 11 years ago, before Haslett proved his mediocrity as a head coach, I wanted him instead of Wade. Haslett isn't much as a head coach.

Ok, then please explain why Chuck Knox came here in 1978 from Los Angeles. Not everyone has the attitude about outsiders coming to Buffalo as you do, otherwise no free agents would ever sign with the Bills.

Haslett has about the same resume as Jauron. One really good season and a bunch of bad ones. Then an interim gig where the team had virtually no interest in keeping him on as head coach. Just because he's got the best bunch of NFL rejects in a 4 team league, doesn't mean he should coach the Bills. 11 years ago, before Haslett proved his mediocrity as a head coach, I wanted him instead of Wade. Haslett isn't much as a head coach.

Totally agree, except I never wanted him as the Bills coach. He is one of these ex-defensive tough guy players who can get teams playing hard at times because they can relate to him as a former player. But that is not enough. He has no innovativeness, no great sense of talent evaluation, and not even great game day instincts, though better than DJ. The celebral kind of HC's like Belicheat (hate to admit it), Shanahan, and Holmgren in the end usually make mincemeat of the Haslett type coaches, if they have good talent.

Then what's your interpretation of this?

Just what everyone else said. Someone asked if Shannihan would consider the bills, and the answer was basically duh/yes. there is nothing to imply that shanihan would say no. And later that day, another person asked him if shanihan is only doing it for leverage and he said something like "no. shanihan doesn't need that kind of leverage."

I mean, I don't think shefter is 100% right. But he hasn't said anything to suggest the bills/shanihan won't happen.

My question is why would the "Bills source" say what Lenny P reports? Seems odd that someone with knowledge and credibility would tell Lenny P that this is just "wish list courtesy call." Even if true, why would you ever tell Lenny P or anyone else.

The whole story is odd.

gee - what a surprise

Russ Brandon manipulating the Bills fans through the media and the internet.