What's Our FO's Dumbest Move of the 2000's

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firing Wade Phillips.

:devil:

Firing Wade was the right thing to do at the time. He had lost the team after the Flutie-Johnson thing, not to mention firing Bruce DeHaven and hiring a know-nothing special teams coach.

My choice is Pat Williams. Clearly a top DL at the time and Donahoe did nothing to keep him. This may have been Ralph's choice to not pay to keep him, but it was easily the worst move by the front office.

Great minds think alike. I was just pondering all of the FO mistakes and I narrowed it down to the top of the '06 draft. Marv really set this franchise back with that one. They wouldn't even consider Ngata or Bunkley because they didn't fit the system :devil: , then they declined offers to trade down and gain picks. Denver (who wanted Cutler) and Philly made offers to trade up to 8. We could have still taken DW at 15 and had an additional 2nd round pick.

Then Marv pulls the mind boggling move of trading up for McCargo. By all reports, we didn't have to go anywhere to get JM. In those two picks (not even mentioning how bad the selections themselves were) Marv completely threw a second and a third round pick out the window when this team desperately needed prospects.

You know it is funny, I was listening to this draft on the radio & when the Bills traded up the WGR guys thought the same as I did. Cool we just traded up to get Mangold. I thought to myself what an excellent move. Nope, we get a guy that I never heard of in Mcgargo. I know hindsite is 20/20 but draft day that year I was screaming for them to take Ngata & then thought they should of took Mangold with the trade up. I am no expert on football, but if I know this, shouldn't the inner circle jerks know this too???? How different would that draft look if we took Ngata/Mangold.

The draft this decade, going all the way back to Donahoe, it always seemed like the bills were trying to outsmart everyone. Most experts said the pick should of Mckinnie, what do we do we draft Williams, even though he played LT @ Texas. We had to fool everybody & take Mcdipsh*t, even though we had Henry. The Whitner pick came out of nowhere, I never seen his name on any of the mock drafts. Mcgargo, I do not even want to go there. My friend went to NC St & as soon as we picked him, called me & said he was going to be a bust.

Johnson came in as a free agent from Jacksonville. Dumb move indeed.

FALSE, we traded our #1 pick that yearto the Jags AND gave him a 5yr 25mil deal when he got here.

Pretty sure this was Butler's move.

I think it's gotta be hiring Jauron. There was never any reason to think he might have been a good coach. Gregg Williams didn't pan out, but he was a stellar defensive coordinator in Tennessee who could have been a homerun. When you look at hiring coordinators, he's the kind of guy you have to look at, I think. He just wasn't the guy. Good GMs need to make those calls correctly, but I don't think it was a ridiculous decision.

Mularkey was more questionable than Williams, but he was again, a guy who had had some success on a good team that seemed to play above its talent level. It didn't work out, but I at least see how it might have. Still, I can't defend this move like hiring Gregg.

And then there's Dick Jauron. Never a prominent assistant, and a total washout in Chicago. Had most recently been a coordinator and an interim coach on a woeful Detroit team. I have no idea why anyone thought he might end up being a good coach.

I think it's gotta be hiring Jauron. There was never any reason to think he might have been a good coach. Gregg Williams didn't pan out, but he was a stellar defensive coordinator in Tennessee who could have been a homerun. When you look at hiring coordinators, he's the kind of guy you have to look at, I think. He just wasn't the guy. Good GMs need to make those calls correctly, but I don't think it was a ridiculous decision.

Mularkey was more questionable than Williams, but he was again, a guy who had had some success on a good team that seemed to play above its talent level. It didn't work out, but I at least see how it might have. Still, I can't defend this move like hiring Gregg.

And then there's Dick Jauron. Never a prominent assistant, and a total washout in Chicago. Had most recently been a coordinator and an interim coach on a woeful Detroit team. I have no idea why anyone thought he might end up being a good coach.

Totally agree, once again hindsight is 20/20 but I hated the jauron hire when it happened & 4 years later I hate it even more. This guy has sucked everywhere he has gone. So what he is respected & gentleman, big deal. He had one fluke year in Chicago where Mike Brown had like 4 ints for tds to win games & that was it. Every other year he has sucked. His style of play no matter what the talent level is will get you 5-7 wins every year but the way he coaches you will never beat the good teams on a consistent basis.

FALSE, we traded our #1 pick that yearto the Jags AND gave him a 5yr 25mil deal when he got here.

Pretty sure this was Butler's move.

Ahh yes you are correct. I forgot we gave them our #1 that year. They used that pick to draft Fred Taylor...a guy the Bills certainly could have used at the time.

This has to rank as one of the worst moves of the dacade.

I think the selection of coaches has to be the dumbest moves this decade (specifically Jauron) but if you're looking personnel-wise, perhaps trading up for Losman, or letting go of Pat Williams.

I second that one! We have the worst coaches in team history! Bring back Kay!

Whats really sad is there's now 4 pages deep of all valid, lucid and completely reasonable arguments.

All of these players and decisions set this franchise back a decade. It can't possibly be just one or two of them. Its the combination, which leads to ridiculous frustration.

Take your pick, Pat Williams, Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, McGahee, et cetera. 2 1st round picks on Losman is just mindblowing. At least Bledsoe, at the time, had credentials. He won games and started in the Superbowl. But good lord, what a huge mistake.

People don't credit Donahoe for some of the, yes believe it or not, good moves he made. Aaron Schobel, Lee Evans, Jason Peters, Jabari Greer, Travis Henry, Peerless Price trade (at the time). I dunno, its just frustrating. Donahoe wasn't a bad idea, he was the wrong choice.

Pat Williams was 32 when he left the Bills. How often do you see the Patriots pay big money to a FA over 30? The Vikings got lucky Williams stayed healthy(perhaps with the help of steroids). The FO made the correct decision on Williams.

I believe hiring Marv Levy as GM was the worst decision of the decade. As stated above his draft moves or lack there of, poor FA decisions, and choice of Jauron have destroyed this franchise. While one may argue these moves were made by Mordak and Guy it was still Levy who was GM and ultimately responsible for this debacle. Levy's one decent move was swindling Ozzie Newsome in the McGahee trade - only to foul it up by trading away the pick to move up and draft McCargo.

In defense of Tom Donahoe, Mike Williams was a consensus top 5 pick and was badly needed. Donahoe's undoing may have been his first decision - the choice of Greg Williams followed closely by these awful draft choices - JP Losman, McGahee, and Parrish. However he brought Lee Evans, Jason Peters, Jabari Greer, and got a first round pick for Peerless Price(only to squander it on McGahee).

True Pat Williams was 32 BUT the guy was a young 32. He didn't have the typical wear and tear a usual 32 year old NFL player has. Pat Williams didn't get into the league until 1997 (Keep in mind born in 72 players born then usually got into the league around 93-95) and he didn't play regularly until 1998 and didn't start regularly until 2001. So the guy wasn't that old (7 years playing and 4 of those years starting regularly) in terms of time spent in the league he wasn't old.

Letting Pat go was stupid. It wasn't a draft choice which is a crapshoot it wasn't a free agent who just didn't want to be here It was a guy who you know was going to be productive and wanted to come back at a fair price. But we lowballed him and he went elsewhere and surprise he continued to be productive with his new team.

His age wasn't an issue due to the fact that his time in the league wasn't that long. There was really no reason for letting Pat go other then Donahoe's pride or Ralph's pocket.

Every first round pick of this decade including this years!

Yeah I know Maybin hasn't been given any opportunities. Well he may end up being great some day, but when you draft a guy #1 that high he better be a starter. The only time you draft that high with the intension of developing a player is at QB. So to that I say the FO has screwed up again.

You know it is funny, I was listening to this draft on the radio & when the Bills traded up the WGR guys thought the same as I did. Cool we just traded up to get Mangold. I thought to myself what an excellent move. Nope, we get a guy that I never heard of in Mcgargo. I know hindsite is 20/20 but draft day that year I was screaming for them to take Ngata & then thought they should of took Mangold with the trade up. I am no expert on football, but if I know this, shouldn't the inner circle jerks know this too???? How different would that draft look if we took Ngata/Mangold.

The draft this decade, going all the way back to Donahoe, it always seemed like the bills were trying to outsmart everyone. Most experts said the pick should of Mckinnie, what do we do we draft Williams, even though he played LT @ Texas. We had to fool everybody & take Mcdipsh*t, even though we had Henry. The Whitner pick came out of nowhere, I never seen his name on any of the mock drafts. Mcgargo, I do not even want to go there. My friend went to NC St & as soon as we picked him, called me & said he was going to be a bust.

True the 2006 draft was one where you where like what are they thinking. It clearly showed us that Marv part was just more of the same. Think about how much better we would be if we had Nagta and Mangold (Its not revisionist history because at the time Nagta was the guy most had us taking and Mangold was a can't miss kind of guy at a position we needed)

Lots of mention of Bledsoe and Mike Williams. I was at the Bills draft day party that day in the Kelly suite. When they picked both of those players, the mood in there was Super Bowl bound! :wallbash:

Believe me, no one in there thought it was a bad move, and instead ................ <_<:blink::blink:

So many....but, I am going to stick with this opinion held since last April - God's honest truth - in my opnion - taking Aaron Maybin when we did with all of the needs we had....There were some real players on the board when we took him, but Maybin...a classic tweaner type at a place where we should be taking a solid 10 year pro...WTF?

10 year pro huh? Except if the guy is any good at all he is out of here in 4-5 years with free agency

I too have a bad feeling about Maybin. On a terrible club in a terrible year, this guy can barely make the field. Tweeners, UGH!

Lots of mention of Bledsoe and Mike Williams. I was at the Bills draft day party that day in the Kelly suite. When they picked both of those players, the mood in there was Super Bowl bound! :wallbash:

Believe me, no one in there thought it was a bad move, and instead ................ <_<:blink::blink:

The Mike Williams pick was not a bad move at all. In fact, I applauded it because they badly needed to upgrade the line at the time. He just turned out to be a huge bust - can't blame Donahoe for that.