What did Larry Johnson do that was so wrong

Albany,n.y.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...that is about what I can muster reading about this story.

The dude called his coach out on TWITTER...when will athletes just cancel their accounts? Every week somebody pops off and gets in trouble on Twitter. When you are playing a game and getting that kind of scratch to do it...just stay off of Twitter, and maybe cancel your Facebook and MySpace while you are at it.

As far as the "f" word goes...give me a freaking break. We are so desensitized as a culture it is unbelievable. The onslaught of media is everywhere, so if you are a parent, and you let your child think Larry Johnson is really a role model, then please give your children up for adoption. Think about what kind of mindset you have to have to play pro football... You probably are a little aggressive (TE being the exception) and pretty competitive. Nice guy is generally not a prerequisite for an athlete to be a fan favorite...yeah, it helps, but it is a performance based business, and to compete with the best players in the world, you probably have a little bit of an edge.

I am not excusing his use of the slur...as an athlete you need to realize that your contract is because you can perform better than most, but it is also so high because you are a public attraction. You need to use discretion, and LJ did not. Fine, suspension, whatever, is appropriate. My point is you can turn on prime time TV and see all the sex and violence you want...shows about grotesque murders, adultery, basically the less ethical the better... LJ, frustrated calls his coach a fag, out of frustration with his laughingstock of a team and obvious fading personal skills, and it hurt somebody? If you are hurt by that, I feel you are setting a double standard. Our children are subjected to the everything at such a young age and there are real issues that nobody pays attention to, but they jump on LJ for saying the "f" word... I am pretty sure if you go to any playground during any recess in any gradeschool in the country you will hear a lot worse.

If you are hurt, and would take the time to contact the league office and complain, to make sure LJ "gets what he deserves" are you any better? This guy didn't call his coach a fag because he really thinks his coach is a homosexual, and because he was hoping to step on the hornets nest and get the gay community fired up. The true crime would be making it your mission to ruin this talented athletes career, and cause him possible financial duress (I know he has made a pile of money, but what is he going to do when it's done, and he donated his body to the making football fans cheer?) over a Tweet that had nothing to do with his sexuality, but rather just and undereducated member of society voicing his displeasure with his employers ineffectiveness... look in the mirror and ask who is the bigger jackass. His attack was nothing personal against homosexuals, while unfortunate, it was done out of ignorance. The subsequent crucifixion would be done with vengeance.

So when you are gasping about the harm he has done to the children, remember that you are showing them that when you try to nail him to the cross for it. I remember something like two wrongs don't make a right, and although the comments were a horrible decision, remember don't educate, forgive, or overlook a person of limited intelligences inability to always make the best decision...just go all teeth and claws, drag in the muck and the mire by giving it constant media attention. I can already see Bob Ley doing an Between the Lines...tsk tsk LJ. Always go for the jugular, because to err is human but to completely blow the situation out of proportion, take offense to something that had nothing to do with you, and then ruin the perpetrator's life is divine....have a blessed day.

Bigots don't realize they are bigots. Stupid people are too stupid to realize they are stupid.

This reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a guy I worked with. I was back in school working on my degree in engineering and I had a craptastic job at a plant that reclaimed mercury. It seemed like a good fit for an engineering student but it turned out to be an absolute horror show. Let's just say that many of my co-workers were not at the top of gene pool and MENSA wasn't calling them anytime soon.

One of the guys was Hispanic and was a raging homophobe. He was always using slurs, calling people queer, homo, fag etc. One day I asked him what his obsession was with homosexuals? He told me he hated them because the were disgusting animals and didn't deserve to live. I reminded him that a lot of racists feel the same way about Hispanics.

It was like I hit him between the eyes with a shovel. He stood there is absolute stunned silence as if his brain had somehow locked up.

I agree with todd.

No excuse for using that word; it's totally derogatory and wrong. You may not agree with that way of life, but there's no place for racial/ethnic/political/sexual slurs in society. It's useless, pathetic, and offensive.

I'm not saying that I'm innocent in this regard, as I have used that word in the past, but I completely regret it and have been able to strike it from my vocabulary completely.

As for the OP, it's vastly different from what goes on in a church on Sundays. While the church may not condone homosexuality, they are perfectly capable of referring to it as just that, without the use of offensive or derogatory language (at least every church I've attended, anyway).

He talked trash about his coach on twitter. I think that is what he is trouble for.

The best part is, he talked trash about the head coach, saying that he knows nothing about football, has no business being a coach, etc. etc.

Meanwhile, Adrian Peterson has 158 touches this season for the Vikings. Larry Johnson has 144 touches for the Chiefs.

So basically, is Larry saying that his coach is an idiot and his team sucks because they keep giving HIM the ball?

Of course not, they can't do that. But a fine would not be out of order in my opinion, make the point to the other players..

Cancel a contract because some queers are offended somewhere? Persih the thought.

I see you believe speech should be censored.?.. seems that something called the bill of rights disagrees with you..has it

changed? or is it now that your only allowed certain safe words? I guess I supportted a different goverment than

now ,,,see I believe all speech ,good ,bad, or stupid is allowed ,,, not just: "politically correct " comments ,

oh sh** i might be fined for this,,YOU see im not african america, german american, or anything pluralized ..im just a

citizen of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! AND IM DAM PROUD OF IT! but thats just me ...

I see you believe speech should be censored.?.. seems that something called the bill of rights disagrees with you..has it

changed? or is it now that your only allowed certain safe words? I guess I supportted a different goverment than

now ,,,see I believe all speech ,good ,bad, or stupid is allowed ,,, not just: "politically correct " comments ,

oh sh** i might be fined for this,,YOU see im not african america, german american, or anything pluralized ..im just a

citizen of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! AND IM DAM PROUD OF IT! but thats just me ...

:devil::thumbdown: come on really? walk into your job and throw that word around, and see how quickly you are fired, sued for harrasment..... it will happen too damn quickly, he is an idiot and should be penalized for using a deragaotry word to describe a homosexual.

The best part is, he talked trash about the head coach, saying that he knows nothing about football, has no business being a coach, etc. etc.

Meanwhile, Adrian Peterson has 158 touches this season for the Vikings. Larry Johnson has 144 touches for the Chiefs.

So basically, is Larry saying that his coach is an idiot and his team sucks because they keep giving HIM the ball?

He got suspended for being an ass and talking trash about his team and his coach. Using the word fag just gave the team a legit reason to suspend him. If you run your mouth about your work and your boss, they probably can't fire you. But you shouldn't be surprised when they fire you for putting the date on your cover sheet in the wrong place.

He got suspended for being an ass and talking trash about his team and his coach. Using the word fag just gave the team a legit reason to suspend him. If you run your mouth about your work and your boss, they probably can't fire you. But you shouldn't be surprised when they fire you for putting the date on your cover sheet in the wrong place.

damn you, stupid TPS reports

Good post.... I'm not a fan of anyone getting in trouble for anything they say.

For any non-violent/non-libelous speech, I would mostly agree, if you're talking about "get in trouble" meaning being jailed by the gov't or sued for pure opinion. In the first case, the First Amendment is our protection against being jailed for speech / writings; in the second, the courts settle it out.

But if you mean that there should never be real-world effects for speech, I sincerely disagree.

Even though a lot of people understand it that way, that's not exactly the gist of the First Amendment (I realize you did not invoke the FA, but allow me to draw out an argument). As Garrison Keillor wrote, "Freedom of speech is like the freedom to jump off your roof and fly. You can try it, but there will be consequences."

There is no protection against being fired, being ostracized, or other such societal and business consequences. In the same way that Goodell has suspended players for legal problems in the interest of promoting the league's image, this is a slap in the face against 10% of the NFL's possible fan base. Whatever its true $ impact is, the speech can do nothing but hurt the business as a whole. Let's say the CEO (or, hell, a plant worker) of a Fortune 500 company goes on the Today Show and says that all women are stupid, crazy c---s. He insults 50% of the population and he should not "get in trouble" with the company b/c of what he said!!?? No way.

There will --- and there ought to --- be consequences.

For ordinary persons, think and say what you want on your own time and your own dime. For public personalities, think what you want, but disparaging remarks that have a reasonable means of being publicized (like a Twitter account) are fair game for the role you're paid handsomely by a company to fill..

If KC is trying to use that as a reason to void his contract I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. I can't see too many FA's looking at that favorably. JMO

Has no bearing on free agents. Remember when Marv not using the franchise tag on Clements was supposed to improve Buffalo's attractiveness to free agents? That's what people with opinions like you actually thought. The Bills consistently overpay in FA and they still miss out on most of their targets. Give big contracts first and have a winning organization second. That gets FA's. That other type of stuff means jack schitt during FA. KC isn't likely to get his contract voided for attacking the coaching staff or making gay slurs, but if they did, players would just say that's what he gets for being a dumbasss.

If was Adrian Peterson instead of washed up LArry johnson, he won't have told to stay away. He needs to realize he is about to be out of the league and stop running his mouth.

On the other side, he is completely right about his coach. Haley was a terrible hire who just rode the Cardinals' offensive talent to his job. He acts like some tough guy but he bounced around 3 colleges in Florida on a "golf" scholarship. The only realize he even got a coaching just in the first place is because daddy had NFL connections. He's a joke just as Pioli. Matt Cassel for a 2nd rounder and $10 million? What a dumb team.

Before passing judgment on the NFL/Chiefs, realize that there's a history with Johnson:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...arry/index.html

boo hoo. Johnson had big shoes to fill.

Well, that retarded organization is certainly paying him more than Priest Holmes. 43 million extension (19 guaranteed) and he has done nothing for that money since.

Therefore, it is quite amusing that they are making a big deal about suspending him for comments on Twitter. Someone should tap them on the shoulder and tell them he sucks and to just let him go.

The Bill of Rights prevents GOVERNMENT from passing a law which prevents speech. It does not apply at all in this case in which and individual (LJ) has agreed to act as an ambassador for a corporation and follow certain rules governing his speech and behavior since he is a known employee of that corporation. If LJ does not want his speech encumbered as a good American (or even if he is a bad American as long as he does not break any laws) he is totally within his rights not to sign a contract that restricts his speech (subject to rules of appeal and arbitration agreed to by his agent the NFLPA in the CBA).

Methinks this is an example of the confusion often seen in activities like the reaction against the health care revision proposals being pushed right now by the Dumbocrats against the Repuboidiots. Individual citizens must always be on guard against the excesses of the government, but also must be on guard against the excesses of corporations like the insurers.

Personally I (like something around 60-70% of the country) want a public OPTION not because I want the GUBERMINT to take care of me but because I trust neither the corporations like the insurance cartel nor the guvmint to have sole control over something as basic as health care. Just as we individuals are best protected when there is a check and balance between government and corporations on health care there is a check and balance in this case between the majority partners the NFLPA (which under the current CBA get 60.5% of the total gross receipts) and the team owners which are allowed by the law to violate normal antitrust provisions with the NFLPA on issues such as this. Larry Johnson agreed through his designated agent the NFLPA to give the team owners the right to censure his speech in exchange for dollars.

Its simply the American way and if you don't love it you are free to leave it.

I've never been a fan of political correctness & now the NFL is all over Larry Johnson for using the word fag. Well take a look at this and other football message boards & you see gay slurs all the time. It's the culture of sports & athletes. Is Larry Johnson being unfairly singled out? He very well could be. I think the NFL is being very hypocritical here. If they're going to persecute Larry Johnson, maybe they should examine their attitudes before they come down on him. It's no coincindence that no active NFL player has ever come out as gay during his career. Why?-they fear physical retaliation on the field, that's why. Coming down on Larry Johnson for using a word, I'm even seeing he might be suspended, is ridiculous. Don't come down on one player for his language, when the culture of the league supports his thinking. How different is Larry Johnson's attitude than what goes on in churches Sunday mornings before the games?

The NFL has a long way to go before it will ever be called gay friendly. Paying lip service to some activists does nobody any good, who knows the gay equivalent of Al Sharpton may surface at an NFL stadium if the NFL comes down on Johnson. I'm not saying Larry Johnson is completely correct, but what he said in public goes on in NFL locker rooms every day.

The rest of the story is that KC doesn't want to pay Johnson his contract & is looking for a way to recoup money by claiming he breached his contract with his gay slurs. I bet if a high profile player who was producing up to his team's expectations said the same thing, you wouldn't hear any talk of team suspension or trying to terminate his contract.

Substitute that with a slur aimed at somebody else and see what happens. Americans are very selective at who it is ok to offend.