A Few Thoughts About The Game

10) OK, I spoke about how bad Bell is. Meridith is actually worse. Wait.....I'm not so sure. I will let you people decide, a rough decision indeed. What is worse, a dental implant or a root canal?

While Bell had a few problems, do you have more specifics? I watched again on DVR up to the Evans TD in the 4th, and focused specifically on Bell for every snap. Yes, he had a bad series down by our goal line for the safety, with a penalty and then whiffing on his block on the safety. Then he didn't pick up anybody and went to the 2nd level on a sack. And he let Everette Brown school him once. Yes, those are 3 bad plays. But on every other snap I don't see anything awful, and he seems to be doing his job. It's not like Chambers when he seemed to be getting killed every snap by a CFLer. Wondering if it's perception more than anything, but to me Bell does not seem to be so bad, for his 6th NFL start.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say that for all the sh*t I give Brandon, Modak et. al., Wood, Byrd and Levitre sure seem to be some great picks. Hamgartner is also a very good signing. Very nice job Bills front office.

If they had just taken Oher instead of Maybin...

Thanks, Bill.

I'll add that the much-maligned pecial teams were fantastic today. They -and April- were getting a lot of grief for penalties and fumbles, but they've been stout vs. returns from the begining. Moorman and Lindell continue to be the best P-PK tandem IMO, and nobody returns on these units. Yes, it appears the thrilling capability to take one to the house is over for awhile, but that's not a knock on April. More to the loss of McKelvin, Parrish's demise and the removal of the wedge.

Our biggest offensive obstacle -IMO- is our bend-don't-break Defense. The opponent regularly makes 2-4 first downs per drive before we hold them. Their punter buries us so deep we have to be conservative getting out of our endzones' shadow. When we finally have a little room, Moorman sets the opponent back with his consistant kicks and great coverage.

The early issues with ST's (Penalties & fumbles) appear to be resolved and they're beginning to be a weapon again towards victory.

1) Say what you want about Kelsay. Seriously, don't mind me, but that was one clutch sack in the 4th quarter.

2) In the long scheme of things it will go unnoticed but not by me. Marshawn ran out of bounds with 4:23 remaining in the game. My contention is that he was not concentrating, and unimpressed I remain.

3) Congrats to Fitz. He played very well under the circumstances.

4) I am asking those of you who think that Bell doesn't suck to please reconsider and let me know what you think, OK?

5) TO drives me crazy, in that he consistently gets open. Not only that, at his advanced NFL age he is probably in better condition than almost any player on the field. Folks....he can't catch the football on a consistent basis.

6) I don't know about you, but I for one did not appreciate the way Lynch showboated on the first quarter TD run. Btw, watch Levitre on the replay. His footwork was perfect and he sealed off the entire side.

7) LOL!!! Wtf was Fox thinking in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 1 when he tried the field goal? Who has been peeking into Jaurons playbook?

8) OK....Byrd is good. It is no accident that he makes big plays and Whitner doesn't. The kid is growing on me, and I rarely if at all make this statement about a defensive back. But, you already knew that.

9) Fitz hesitates too much before he runs.

10) OK, I spoke about how bad Bell is. Meridith is actually worse. Wait.....I'm not so sure. I will let you people decide, a rough decision indeed. What is worse, a dental implant or a root canal?

11) Once again, this week belongs to us, the people who refuse to quit. I can't tell you how proud I am to be a part of this. Some day people..... Yes, on one fine day the Bills will be champions. Loyal Bills fans can already stake this claim.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) In the long scheme of things it will go unnoticed but not by me. Marshawn ran out of bounds with 4:23 remaining in the game. My contention is that he was not concentrating, and unimpressed I remain.

He runs hard and gives great effort but I like Jackson better. Jackson has a better feel for the game. You need two good backs in the NFL today. I wish the Bills would give Jackson more carries.

4) I am asking those of you who think that Bell doesn't suck to please reconsider and let me know what you think, OK?

This is probably the thing that drives me the most crazy. Why the Bills didn't draft a legitimate LT in the 2009 draft after trading Peters? Oher is playing rather well for the Ravens.

What about the play of Fitzpatrick? He hasn't look great yet he has two wins and is getting Evans involved in the passing game. (TO looks like he is just waiting for the season to end.) I don't think Fitzpatrick is the answer but I'm seriously wondering if Edwards is either.

The DL played much better against a good OL today. Kelsay's sack (splitting the RT and RG) was surprising and ncie to see. I'd still like to see more pressure on the QB, but I'll take their performance.

I would like to say the OL is better, but running between the tackles is still a big problem. I don't think anyone expects Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood to be All-Pros, but 30 carries for 53 yards is inexcusable. The tackles, Bell and Meredith don't seem to be anything more than bodies. I know Bell has been highlighted ad nauseam, but he's a liability. I would not like to enter 2010 with him entrenched as the starting LT.

Fitz is too inconsistent to be a starting QB in the league for my money. 21-47 and 239 yards with 2 TD's is not good enough to win consistently in the NFL. Sadly, I'm not sure TE is much better.

I think that the DL, despite the yardage given up, was correctly focusing mostly on the run for much of the game. Schobel had a very nice hit on an obvious passing down.

As for Fitz, he made some bad throws but a few were caused by immediate pressure. In all he looked OK to me. I think that Edwards has more talent but we do have to face the real, and quite sad possibility that he is shot.

This is probably the thing that drives me the most crazy. Why the Bills didn't draft a legitimate LT in the 2009 draft after trading Peters? Oher is playing rather well for the Ravens.

And then the entire draft board changes and we likely don't get wood/levitre. Give the kids @ tackle some time. Remember, we're down to our 2nd/3rd string in those positions from what we expected coming out of the pre-season. Bell and Meredith have a lot of RAW talent. The only way they will get better is through experience. They are making some ROOKIE mistakes. Imagine that. Now, if they still struggle by the end of this season... that's a different story.

Imagine this team's record with Garcia at QB. Not world-beaters but easily convert 2 losses to wins. Trent is not good. Fitz is not good.

That is the worst argument for benching Trent. Two losses came due to Special Teams and Two losses came because the Bills defense could not stop the offense (NO, Miami) and the Bills offense could not stay on the field.

why are you running a sweep when your trying to run the clock.....

Just another of Jauron's dump play in his playbook...

Like letting Lynch just run into the pile before the 2 minute warning rather than try to get a 1st down and close the deal. THe Panthers knew that the call was going to be Lynch right in the middle.

I really like the way our defense has been playing. If the offense pulled anything out of the hat against the Saints, they could have shut Brees and company down too.

Hopefully the offense will just get better from here on out. The O-line is getting some time to gel, and the defense is keeping them in games. This is a recipe to build up momentum as the season rolls on...so we'll see.

Let us not kid ourselves...The defense is playing bad giving up so much running yards. We have played two bad teams in the past two weeks. The good times will beat the crap out of us, if we continue to leak in the running game.

That is the worst argument for benching Trent. Two losses came due to Special Teams and Two losses came because the Bills defense could not stop the offense (NO, Miami) and the Bills offense could not stay on the field.

You blame the Browns loss on the special teams when Edwards was HORRIBLE the entire game and we scored three points at home against the worst team in the league?

Let's see now - Trent couldn't punch it in the end zone against New Orleans, Cleveland, or the Jets - nor all pre-season...

Actually, that sounds like a pretty damned good argument for benching Edwards!

(Fitz > Fanning Fan)

Let's see now - Trent couldn't punch it in the end zone against New Orleans, Cleveland, or the Jets - nor all pre-season...

Actually, that sounds like a pretty damned good argument for benching Edwards!

(Fitz > Fanning Fan)

I have to say, I kind of agree.

I have said since the New Orleans game, "If you think Trent is bad, just wait until you see Fitz". But, you can't ignore the results.

In terms of actual ability, I maintain Trent is better. He has the stronger arm, the more accurate arm, he is taller, and less prone to turnovers. That being said, Fitz appears to have one thing that I haven't seen out of Trent since New England pre-McKelvin fumble: Confidence. Fitz might not be the best QB in the league (or even in the top 25). But, he goes out there willing to take chances, willing to throw the ball into coverage and willing to throw the ball plus 20 yards. He doesn't just "take what the defense gives [him]".

I am shocked at the play of the Bills DEs so far this season. I thought they would be a nightmare and they have been well, OK. Not amazing. But OK is a lot better than I thought they were capable of.

It has to be coaching, right? the only difference for Kelsay this year is his positional coach. Now, if Kelsay is playing like this with better coaching, imaging what this team could accomplish with a better overall coaching staff. It's that simple.

you don't have quality tackles on the offensive line, you are very limited.

TO has not impressed when thrown to. Lots of drops and I don't see him doing anything to justify primary receiver status. Evans is the go to guy for now.

Byrd is exceptional.

Fitz is doing what has to be done to win against weak teams when the defense puts him in position to win. TE doesn't. So far this does not bode well for a better than mediocre season. But given the way we have played overall to date a mediocre season would be terrific.

Defense is a playoff defense...despite the rash of injuries.

Ive never liked Lynch as a RB. Runs hard and all but hes a dumb player. Any RB in the league know you fall to the ground with that much time left on the clock. My advice find a way to get rid of him stick with Jackson and draft the kid from Clemson Spiller.....

Fitz proved you dont have to be perfect to win a football game. Just have to make the throws when needed. That slant to Evans for the TD was a rocket of an arm......on the money too....

fire away about my Lynch statement.

Okay! There's no way this team can afford to use an early pick on a RB. Not with the gaping holes at LT, QB, and elsewhere.

I'm not saying Lynch is an ideal RB, and your criticisms of him have some merit. But that's going to have to be one area in which we simply accept/live with the imperfections we have, because we don't have the draft picks with which to fix them.

1) Say what you want about Kelsay. Seriously, don't mind me, but that was one clutch sack in the 4th quarter.

3) Congrats to Fitz. He played very well under the circumstances.

5) TO drives me crazy, in that he consistently gets open. Not only that, at his advanced NFL age he is probably in better condition than almost any player on the field. Folks....he can't catch the football on a consistent basis.

6) I don't know about you, but I for one did not appreciate the way Lynch showboated on the first quarter TD run. Btw, watch Levitre on the replay. His footwork was perfect and he sealed off the entire side.

7) LOL!!! Wtf was Fox thinking in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 1 when he tried the field goal? Who has been peeking into Jaurons playbook?

8) OK....Byrd is good. It is no accident that he makes big plays and Whitner doesn't. The kid is growing on me, and I rarely if at all make this statement about a defensive back. But, you already knew that.

9) Fitz hesitates too much before he runs.

11) Once again, this week belongs to us, the people who refuse to quit. I can't tell you how proud I am to be a part of this. Some day people..... Yes, on one fine day the Bills will be champions. Loyal Bills fans can already stake this claim.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the weekly posts coming Bill. In your opinion, do you think that left tackle is our most important need going into next season?

Okay! There's no way this team can afford to use an early pick on a RB. Not with the gaping holes at LT, QB, and elsewhere.

I'm not saying Lynch is an ideal RB, and your criticisms of him have some merit. But that's going to have to be one area in which we simply accept/live with the imperfections we have, because we don't have the draft picks with which to fix them.

Lynch has his imperfections but so does Jackson....which is why a SMART COACH would understand his players inefficiencies and choose plays that maximize their opportunities to succeed. Why the heck would you run a pitch with Marshawn when Freddie is the faster, more elusive back? And then why, when sitting on your own 1 yard line, would you run up the gut with Freddie when Marshawn can carry four or five guys forward?!?

Dick is a moron and can't get his players in positions to look good.

Watch for the playbook to be "simplified" next week and Fitz' game to go downhill. Only a matter of time with Dick calling the shots.

Keep the weekly posts coming Bill. In your opinion, do you think that left tackle is our most important need going into next season?

I am thinking yes, with DT, LB and RT (I don't trust the health of Butler) to follow. After this, we have to look at QBs.

The Titans drafted Hopkins before they took McNair. The Colts grabbed Glenn and Meadows before taking Manning. This is the method I support to build a winning team, especially in the elements of WNY.