TO Article

“Their offensive line is really struggling,” former Bills coach and general manger Marv Levy said. “It’s young, it’s inexperienced and now add to that that they’re beaten up and battered. They’re seeing a tremendous amount of double coverage on their receivers. Then they get behind and have to throw the ball. As a result [of the double teams] they have to throw a lot of dump off passes, so the offense field gets shorter. So there aren’t many going to him. That’s really what it amounts to. You can force it to him, but that’s when you get interceptions.”

"Obviously, with those coverages, the coordinators have been able to move me around in the offense, create plays and do things with formations and shifts and things of that nature," Owens said. "And with this offense, it's not like that.

I like that TO quote, where he explains how a competent offense would make adjustments to get him away from the double team and get him the ball.

He may not be the same TO of old, but I think with a real offense and QB his numbers would be much better.

I think that the yahoo article is very telling in terms of this board. There is a vocal presence that blames every problem on Trent, and another (ahem lol) that tends to place the problems of this football team on the long term neglect of the OL (as well as the DL and other draft issues).

This writer acknowledged the loss of Peters, and even the quotes from Marv made sense. I am of the opinion that there isn't a way to correct our problems this year. Our beloved team is a collection of defensive backs, and gadget players who lose us games. Other teams find someone such as Parrish unworthy of a 7th round pick, and we couldn't trade a tiny Kelsay. This is where we are and how we were constructed.

The good news continues to be our middle 3 on the OL. They are players to build around. DTs and OTs will win us football games. If we don't strengthen these areas we will continue to wallow in losing and despair.

Guest dog14787
“Their offensive line is really struggling,” former Bills coach and general manger Marv Levy said. “It’s young, it’s inexperienced and now add to that that they’re beaten up and battered. They’re seeing a tremendous amount of double coverage on their receivers. Then they get behind and have to throw the ball. As a result [of the double teams] they have to throw a lot of dump off passes, so the offense field gets shorter. So there aren’t many going to him. That’s really what it amounts to. You can force it to him, but that’s when you get interceptions.”

Doesn't surprise me that Levy understands the problem , but does Marv Levy also understand that by leaving us without a Football savvy GM he caused the problem.

“I don’t think we doubled him once,” the Jets player said. “Buffalo will make you hit a wall [in your career]. People thought Randy Moss hit a wall, too, didn’t they? How motivated is [Owens] to play in Buffalo? How excited is he about the offense? They just canned the no-huddle [stuff] because it wasn’t working. They’re not finding creative ways to get him the football, either.”

Asked if he thought Owens could still be a great player in the league, the Jets player replied, “I don’t know. But definitely not on that offense.”

Burn.

Our beloved team is a collection of defensive backs, and gadget players who lose us games. Other teams find someone such as Parrish unworthy of a 7th round pick, and we couldn't trade a tiny Kelsay. This is where we are and how we were constructed.

The good news continues to be our middle 3 on the OL. They are players to build around. DTs and OTs will win us football games. If we don't strengthen these areas we will continue to wallow in losing and despair.

It's no surprise why the Bills aren't a strong team: QB, OL, and DL. Instead, they've used 5 1st or 2nd rounders between 06-08 on positions other than those I just mentioned. Whitner, Lynch, Posluszny, McKelvin and Hardy. Don't get me wrong, some of those guys aren't busts, but to win in this league you need big men. And the Bills waited until this year to draft 2 OG's. Before that, they let their best OLineman walk out the door without a replacement for this season.

As constructed, this roster is a mess. It is my sincere hope that a new front office is in place, with a new HC for next season. And if they end up with a top 10 pick, it had better be at DT or OT. Of course, they'll probably be looking QB as well.

Four complete off-seasons of rebuilding and we're talking draft in October. Sheesh. I wonder how many people still figure Levy/Brandon/DJ were successful now? Probably only the ones with tin foil on their heads.

I think that the yahoo article is very telling in terms of this board. There is a vocal presence that blames every problem on Trent, and another (ahem lol) that tends to place the problems of this football team on the long term neglect of the OL (as well as the DL and other draft issues).

This writer acknowledged the loss of Peters, and even the quotes from Marv made sense. I am of the opinion that there isn't a way to correct our problems this year. Our beloved team is a collection of defensive backs, and gadget players who lose us games. Other teams find someone such as Parrish unworthy of a 7th round pick, and we couldn't trade a tiny Kelsay. This is where we are and how we were constructed.

None of the changes you hit upon will happen under this current regime. Dicky is fixated on smaller LB's and linemen. He has what might be the best RB tandem in the game today and an offensive line that can't block for them.

Perhaps the center of the o-line is solid but I am not convinced that Hangartner is a starting center. On the D Stroud is past his prime - Schobel is aging (in NFL years) Maybin is a no show and our other DE's don't play consistently enough.

This team should be 1-5 and I think they will be lucky to sniff 5-11.

Would coulda shoulda - imagine where the Bills might be had they kept Peters, picked up Hangartner in FA traded down in the first round for another pick - selected Wood and the Levitre in the second round. That would have been a solid o-line. Maybe they don't get Nelson - maybe they don't.

Sorry that article sucks. TO is older now but i don't think he has hit the wall yet. TO isn't being targeted by the QB as much. When you are thrown at 20 times a game and catch 10-11 of them with a drop here and there nobody cares. The problem is that TO isn't targeted as much and his drops are a eye sore. Nobody cares how many drops you have when you catch 80-100 balls with over a 1000 yards in a season and 10 TD's.

When you have 15 catches for 200 yards and 1 TD over 6 games people care about drops and say he has hit the wall.

The bottom line is that the OLINE sucks, the coaching sucks, and we dont' have a QB who rolls the dice because the Head coach cut off his manhood and stuck it in his pocket.

It is a combination of factors - TO's age, lack of time in offense (remember all of the time his toe bothered him in preseason and he did not practice), and an offense which does not suit him perfectly. TO has been attempting to do smart thing and let the Sullivans give quotes to be used against teams forcing writers to create conjectures but he also needs to realize he is partly the issue with hype he brought in, not being around at certain points, blowing catches he should have made and not giving 100% effort at times.

I think this is a tremendous article. It is perhaps the most damning piece I've read on the clusterf**k that is the Bills coaching and personnel braintrust. Forget about the TO stuff. Boy, this is a rough year for AVP. One wonders whether he'll recover. He's basically a laughing stock, as far as I can tell. It's really too bad.

AVP is a laughing stock? Really? He is running someone else's offense. If this was AVP offensive scheme that he designed, then you can put the blame on AVP. But he took over after everything was in place and it was too late to change. I really don't understand your comment?

AVP is a laughing stock? Really? He is running someone else's offense. If this was AVP offensive scheme that he designed, then you can put the blame on AVP. But he took over after everything was in place and it was too late to change. I really don't understand your comment?

So AVP running "Turk's" offense is preventing him from doing simple tactics like moving Owens and Evans around the field and into the slot, or perhaps running a 2 RB set with Freddy and Marshawn in the backfield?

So AVP running "Turk's" offense is preventing him from doing simple tactics like moving Owens and Evans around the field and into the slot, or perhaps running a 2 RB set with Freddy and Marshawn in the backfield?

Could be, but really all I am saying is he was put in a tough position. I don't think anyone can truly blame AVP at this point, it's not his offensive design.

Would anyone expect Marv to say anything else?

Not once does he attribute even a tiny bit the current lousiness of this offense to horrific play by his golden boy Trent Edwards. Defending the dumpoffs when any Bills fan with a pea sized brain knows that Trent has flat out missed open receivers or failed to even look for them.

He's also going to blame the current offensive line as it's not made up of his former acquisitions (the greats Melvin Fowler, Derrik Dockery, Langston Walker etc etc etc (insert 3rd tier downside of career veteran here).

This team sucks and it's as much Brandon's fault as it is the Messiah Levy.