What's the biggest pleasant surprise this year

/dev/null

As disappointing as this season has been (see the biggest disappointment thread), what are some of the pleasant surprises this season?

I've been pleasantly surprised by the play of Fred Jackson and the emergence of Jairus Byrd

I cant say Byrd as I said all along I thought he was going to be good, so it doesnt surprise me as I really liked that pick.

Same with Fred...I expected him to be very productive, although I didnt expect it in NE, so that was a pleasant surprise.

For me, I think the biggest (pleasant) surpirse is the grit of the D even with all the injuries and having to be on the field for so long with the offense failing to sustaing a lot of drives, especially with all the penalties and ST screw ups. They have managed to keep the Pats and Saints contained most of the game. Our offense and ST's just gave those two teams too many chances to beat us and they did. They were also great against Cle and the Jets...

So despite how much they have to be on the field and how thin we are (especially at LB), their ability to keep us in games has surprised me.

The defensive line.

We already know how good Marcus Stroud is, but Kyle Williams has looked exceptional. Aaron Schobel coming back from missing most of last season was a huge concern, but he's played great. Granted he may only have a couple sacks, but he's applying pressure and getting tackles. Surprisingly, I must give due credit to Chris Kelsay. He's playing the best I've ever seen him play. He's getting real pressure, he's gotten a few sacks and he's done a good job against the run.

My son took us to see the Jests game.

I hadn't planned on seeing The Bills live this year.

Bumped into the greatest fan of them all - Pinto Kenny at the end of the game when I was in a less-than-sober moment.

That was my biggest and most pleasant surprise so far this year.

Go Bills! They won - and that was clearly a pleasant surprise too.

Id have to say the play of some of our young guys: Byrd, Wood, I also think Nelson could be a factor if they threw to him down the middle. I am also pleasantly surprised at TO's attitude you would think with his production he would have gone through the roof by now. Bell, Levitre, and even Scott/ Meredith havent been great but i do see potential. I am also impressed with the way this team has stayed as a team, no finger pointing, no back stabbing, and thats when they are losing. I would love to see what happens when our young guys develop great potential on this team.

I cant say Byrd as I said all along I thought he was going to be good, so it doesnt surprise me as I really liked that pick.

Same with Fred...I expected him to be very productive, although I didnt expect it in NE, so that was a pleasant surprise.

For me, I think the biggest (pleasant) surpirse is the grit of the D even with all the injuries and having to be on the field for so long with the offense failing to sustaing a lot of drives, especially with all the penalties and ST screw ups. They have managed to keep the Pats and Saints contained most of the game. Our offense and ST's just gave those two teams too many chances to beat us and they did. They were also great against Cle and the Jets...

So despite how much they have to be on the field and how thin we are (especially at LB), their ability to keep us in games has surprised me.

And THIS is why I nominate Perry Fewell for interim HC for the remainder of the season.

Id have to say the play of some of our young guys: Byrd, Wood, I also think Nelson could be a factor if they threw to him down the middle. I am also pleasantly surprised at TO's attitude you would think with his production he would have gone through the roof by now. Bell, Levitre, and even Scott/ Meredith havent been great but i do see potential. I am also impressed with the way this team has stayed as a team, no finger pointing, no back stabbing, and thats when they are losing. I would love to see what happens when our young guys develop great potential on this team.

This, for me. I'm actually thrilled with this years' rookies! Quite a change from previous years. IMO, all who've made the team will likely play in the league for at least a few years.

Hopefully we won't let them go after their rookie contracts expire.. :thumbsup:

I was also pleasantly surprised by the way we played in Gillette this year. That has been an annual horror show for some time.

But honestly I have to say that I am most surprised at TO's attitude given our lack of success and his lack of production. He seems to be watching what he says, and holding himself accountable. I didn't expect that...

As the author of the disappointing thread, I will give my input to the pleasant surprise thread:

1. If they stay healthy and un-suspended (is that a word?), I think we can have one of the top couple running back tandems for another 3 or 4 years. I don't buy any of the trade Lynch garbage.

2. I think Aaron Schobel has come back nice from a major injury.

3. Sorry, but that is all I can come up with, not alot of pleasant surprises on the NFL's version of the Titanic.

The defensive line.

We already know how good Marcus Stroud is, but Kyle Williams has looked exceptional. Aaron Schobel coming back from missing most of last season was a huge concern, but he's played great. Granted he may only have a couple sacks, but he's applying pressure and getting tackles. Surprisingly, I must give due credit to Chris Kelsay. He's playing the best I've ever seen him play. He's getting real pressure, he's gotten a few sacks and he's done a good job against the run.

+1. I LOVE the way Kyle Williams has played this year. And you're right about Kelsay, he's actually looked serviceable for the most part out there thus far. Which is saying a lot with the way he played last year in mind.

near unanimous consensus that Jauron must go

While I am not surprised that there is a near unanimous sentiment that Jauron is quite unlikely to achieve anything more than the mediocre 7-9 records he has led the team to for three years (and it will even take a lot of good luck for the team to even get up to 7-9 this year).

I have been pleasantly surprised that a surprising # of posters seem to recognize that firing Jauron though a necessary part of improving is way far from sufficient to cure what ills this team. Like it or not it is hard to blame Jauron for almost 2/3 of our 0 for a decade playoff run.

Its impossible in our capitalist system to fire the team owner and when he does go to his greater reward we run an awful risk of losing the franchise, but I am pleasantly surprised that a fair number of posters seem to recognize that though firing Jauron might feel good it is merely rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic in terms of changing this team for the better.

There is still a lot of work to be done by posters to make the calls for Jauron's ouster be more than mere whining by training our sites on not simply replacing Jauron with the next Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams or inadequate clone, but instead replacing Jauron with someone who has demonstrated success building an SB winning team before like a Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren or even a Gruden to replace non-GM Brandon and if this leader chooses to be HC as well that would be great.

It will take the media led by Sully and WGR a while to catch up with fans as the make too many dimes simply firing away at fish in a barrel Jauron, but I see nice stirrings from a lot of the posts that have simply moved beyond the Jauron distraction and are talking seriously about how this team can be improved.

I find this pleasant in very bad times.

As disappointing as this season has been (see the biggest disappointment thread), what are some of the pleasant surprises this season?

I've been pleasantly surprised by the play of Fred Jackson and the emergence of Jairus Byrd

Im not surprised at either of those guys. Byrd had actual playmaking ability in college.Not this phony 'potential' that the Bills usually draft for.

Schobel is having a good year altho he isnt the ulttimate answer at DE. He is playing as well as he did 4 yrs ago--which is at an above average level..

Kelsay is also having a decent year.He has worked hard.-Again--those 2 aren't the answer for us. Kyle Williams has played hard and well for us.

Fewell has done well with what he has to work with.