For Bills Fans with No ties to Buffalo

taterhill

Born and raised in Modesto California. Niner and Raider territory here.

Never been to Buffalo.

Been a Bills fan since I was 2.

Don't know why.....

Finding NASCAR more and more interesting nowadays.

Don't know why I STILL root for the Bills. The Raider fans at my work laugh at me. WTF? Niners fans have something to look forward to....Me.....Another year of Dick Ball.

I was talking about this with a friend as the game was ending. I'm almost hoping the Bills get move to LA so I can move on from this constant torture.

I'll stick with the Bills no matter how bad they get out of loyalty to the city of Buffalo.

I've asked myself that same question many times. All I can figure is that it's not a completely rational decision. I grew up as a kid following the Bills and I have ever since. I know the Bills history more than that of any of team. I've seen almost all of their games in the last decade and keep a detailed collection of all "highlights" from them for posterity. I wouldn't know how to switch to another team. I know I certainly wouldn't feel the same level of passion. So maybe one reason is that I don't feel as if I have any other option.

On a deeper level, though, I believe that being a real fan means taking the good with the bad. I mean, think about how much meaning a Bills playoff apperance would have given this decade of ineptitude. There is no light without dark and it is seasons like these that give the good ones their meaning.

I also tend to believe that we fans have a small part to play in helping the team along. I was actually in favor of walking out after the first quarter of last year's home game against New England to prompt Jauron's firing. If most of the fans had done that, we would have hit the team where it really hurt and changed the course of the organization. The walkout never came to pass, but I feel it would have had an even smaller chance of happening if I hadn't been on the message board advocating for action.

The final reason is that regardless of how the team is doing, it's nice to go down to my city's Bills bar every Sunday, have some food and share an experience with other Bills fans. It's not always fun, but I suppose it beats having no sports community at all.

What keeps you rooting for this franchise? I have no choice in the matter....but I know some of you have no ties and still root for this franchise....you must like pain

Some of you here know that I drive up from VA almost every game. I had no interest in going to today's game (thank god someone bought my tickets) and for the first time in about ten years, I really have no interest in going to anymore games again this season unless we change the ENTIRE front office and staff.

I came close to cancelling my season tickets this year, but got em back when we signed T.O. I love going to games, but buying season tickets AND the Sunday Ticket to this mess is awful. The worst part is driving back on Monday after all of these pathetic losses in every way imaginable. I'm close to the brink of not renewing. I'll always root for them though, I just may not be spending as much money on them. My money might start going more toward the Penguins!

I grew up all my life in Pittsburgh, btw.

I have lived in Louisville all of my life. I started getting into football in the late 80's - Early 90's and loved watching the Bills during that time. I kind of just stuck with them. Have been a big Bills fan ever sice and have not missed a game in probably 8 years thanks to direct TV and internet streaming. I have invested too much time and emotion into this team to just give up on them because of a few bad years. I am not a T-Bone and will be a Bills fan as long as they have a team.

Nothing, I have not watched the Bills past 2 weeks and its been the best 2 Sundays the past 10 years. Ive lost all interest in the team, the players clearly dont care, the front office dont care, F it I wont care either. I could care less if Mayflower backed the trucks up to the Ralph and loaded everything up and left. It would be much much much less trash in the Buffalo area.

I support a family of 4 my wife and 3 kids and I always squeeze somemoney out of my paychecks to go see Bills games nah not this year.......they can go to hell..

What keeps you rooting for this franchise? I have no choice in the matter....but I know some of you have no ties and still root for this franchise....you must like pain

what are we supposed to do, all of a sudden switch who we root for? real fans stick with their teams no matter how bad the situation

Im a Bills fan because of Jim Kelly but if the team moves i wont follow no matter where they go

Wish I could explain it. I grew up about a mile or so from where the Jets played back in the 70s and 80s, but for some reason was always drawn to the Bills. Have been a rabid fan ever since I watched football...Fergie was my favorite player growing up. It's just who I am...I'd rather feel the agony of being a diehard Bills fan than feel lukewarm rooting for anyone else.

I'm from Charleston SC, and got hooked during the first Super bowl run. I'm in the military now and live in florida. i've actually traveled to Buffalo for 3 games.....I've hung on, but I can't take it anymore. I refused to watch starting this week. I was actually flipping to the game (have Sunday Ticket) during commerical breaks of the other game I was watching, and realized I wasn't missing much. This is sad because I haven't missed a game for the past 5 years.

This team has failed to excite me in ten years. Every other team, except for the Lions, and the Texans, have had their moments...until something changes, and they put a better product on the field, I'm not watching. I have better things to do...

I grew up in Jets/Giants country, but my uncle and cousins were die-hard Bills fans. My first game was the first game of the Levy era, and I never looked back. I live in Florida now, and by all means should have jumped ship years ago, but I root for the ONLY team from my home state, and I care about the great people of W. NY. Sadly, those cousins? One follows NASCAR and soccer, as well as the Sabres and the other claims to have not watched an NFL game in a decade and follows the Premier League and the Sabres. I often wish I had their willpower.

I have moved out of WNY. When I have kids I am breaking the Buffalo sports cycle. It is the job of parents to give their kids the best life they can. The Buffalo sports love will die with me. My kids can cheer for one of the many Carolina teams. Except hockey....no Canes fans under my roof.

I am from Jersey and have been a Bills fan for 17yrs! I never even been to Buffalo! Today was the 1st day that I did not watch the Bills game and as of last week I am an offically a Broncos fan ( was always an in the closet fan of them because of elway, and T. Davis). I jumped on the Bandwagon when I was a kid in the 90's and stuck with them for all these years. No longer can I tolerate nor put money into such an inept franchise that cleary does not reciprocate the respect it recieves from its loyal fans. I just had a baby boy and there is no way I will subject him to the disloyalty and incompetence of this organization that I have endured for the last 10+years!

I am so turned off on this team right now that even if they turned things around in the next couple of years I do not think I can ever come back because of how bad they have screwed us for so long. I have spent an inordinate amount of money on Bills merchandise and time supporting this team. I am simply arduous and feel great sympathy to all you guys who grew up in Buffalo and having a harder time quitting on this team!! All I can say is I wish all you well!

I have moved out of WNY. When I have kids I am breaking the Buffalo sports cycle. It is the job of parents to give their kids the best life they can. The Buffalo sports love will die with me. My kids can cheer for one of the many Carolina teams. Except hockey....no Canes fans under my roof.

hard decision to make....i would love to share something I care so much about with my son. Of course, I'd let him pick his own team, but there;s nothing like rooting for the same sports team as your dad when something awesome happens. (my Dad and I went nuts over the '86 Mets, and it was a memory I will never forget). So sad that I may nudge this kid to grow up a Redskins fan rather than root for the team that is a national joke over and over.

Honestly I don't know why I keep rooting for them, I just do. I like in Salt Lake City, which means I see the Bills maybe once a year.(though last year they were on 7 times for some reason, which is the most I have seen them since probably 94). But each year I keep rooting for them, following the games on NFL.com and buying anything of the Bills I can find. I guess I am just holding out hope that maybe one day, they will turn things around and start winning again.

Was born in Wellsville, Ny. Converted my Mom and Dad to Bills fans by making them take me to games....not sure why I keep rooting but live in Orlando, FL now...what am I gonna do be a Jags or Dolphins fan? Nah...followed them all through college - always an adventure.

Born and raised in northern california. No ties to buffalo whatsoever. Became a football fan at a young age, watching the Jim Kelly led bills. I now have season tickets to the bills (still live in CA). I fly to buffalo at least three times a year and generally hit two road games. I even went as far as buying a house in Buffalo.

I've missed one game on TV or in person in the last 10 years. This team has given me heartbreaking loss after heartbreaking loss and yet I still wipe the slate every Sunday, throw on my bills jersey and root for them like we're playing for the superbowl. Call it blind alligence or just faith. Regardless of how crappy the team is, I still appreciate everything this team stands for and everything they mean to the community of buffalo.

The long suffering fans will one day be vindicated.

Born and raised in northern california. No ties to buffalo whatsoever. Became a football fan at a young age, watching the Jim Kelly led bills. I now have season tickets to the bills (still live in CA). I fly to buffalo at least three times a year and generally hit two road games. I even went as far as buying a house in Buffalo.

I've missed one game on TV or in person in the last 10 years. This team has given me heartbreaking loss after heartbreaking loss and yet I still wipe the slate every Sunday, throw on my bills jersey and root for them like we're playing for the superbowl. Call it blind alligence or just faith. Regardless of how crappy the team is, I still appreciate everything this team stands for and everything they mean to the community of buffalo.

That's ridiculous dedication! I'm from Northern Sacramento, and I haven't found a reason in the last 10 years to fly to Buffalo for a loss!

Yep. These are the darkest days (well for this decade). Stick in there. There are a ton of Buffalo fans across this country, and there is no way they are moving.

I've explained my reason countless times. Eagles disappointed me even before their SB and I jumped ship. End of story. :censored:

Actually, come to think of it, I was probably more of an Oilers fan than an Eagle fan growing up. Earl Campbell was my idol and I loved Pastorini.

-----------------------------------------------

OK, so how can these kids who say they have been fans since the ages of two and four be taken seriously. I was 11 or 12 I believe.

At ages 2 & 4.........you couldn't even read the players names or understand down and distance. :thumbsup: Christ...that's nice that you're a fan but at age TWO & FOUR....come on man.

Great question. I think I'd rather have AIDS than be a Bills fan. At least there's medication and a little bit of hope.

Instead, I suffer...just isn't in my blood to jump ship.

FUNNY - sad - but funny, and true!

40 years as a Bills fan. Why? Loyalty I guess.

Had to take off my jersey today. Last week, this week...Just embarrassing.

Listening to Trent Edwards post game interview. Sad and pathetic. No fire. No balls. Step up to the plate? How many more games before you "step up to the plate?" Jauron is a problem, but the GM has placed the Bills in this position. Give me a break!

Born in Queens, NY, Moved to Southern CT before I was 3, But.... My father is from Buffalo. He was at the Rockpile in 1960 and inspite of it all rooted for the Bills. In order to bond with my Father I would watch the games with him. Ever since I was infected with the team. I became a true fan in 1986 when Jim Kelly joined the team and I never looked back.

Feel the same way; live in Pittsburgh; when I have kids, they'll be Steelers fans. And they can then mock me.

wow--I am in awe.!! seriously. You belong in the same fraternity as those of us who grew up as kids in the old rockpile.You are a true Buffalonian!!

Its only a game to provide some entertainment. When it becomes a depressing experience year after year, it is time to move on. Remember its for the entertainment of the fans.

Its only a game to provide some entertainment. When it becomes a depressing experience year after year, it is time to move on. Remember its for the entertainment of the fans.

Being a serious football fan is not really about entertainment. When your team wins it is a type of euphoria and when they lose the symptoms are similar to clinical depression.

wow--I am in awe.!! seriously. You belong in the same fraternity as those of us who grew up as kids in the old rockpile.You are a true Buffalonian!![/quote

Thanks TCALI- For better or worse the bills are my team. In my opinion there's not a team that means more to a community. I love Buffalo and everything it stands for- the bills are an extension of this and that will never change.

Grew up in Buffalo and lived there until age 34. Had season tickets from '88 - '94 before we moved to the Chicago area. That was a great stretch. Have followed the Bills very closely through last year when interest began to wane. My 3 kids are growing up Bears fans and I lived through the Jauron era here in Chicago. Watching him at the helm of the Bills has become too painful. Watching the Bears is more rewarding now. Was in Buffalo this weekend and was offered a free ticket to see the Browns. Chose not to go. Did watch the game on TV with my Dad who was rooting for the Browns as the game wore on. Me too.

Grew up in western NY but left at soon as I was able. Sabres and Bills stuck with me because the uniforms were awesome. I think both teams were trying to tell me something by changing them. (Why the Sabres changed their red and black uniforms is beyond me)

I live in VA now and it seems the Redskins have the same issues. Both teams had a great start last year but blew the last half of the season and missed playoffs. I wonder who will be fired first Jim Zorn or Dick Jauron? I hope it is Buffalo who makes the right move.

Bills fan since the beginning - born in Tonawanda. In elementry school I remember they showed a film of the entire first Bills game ever. Richie Lucas - Buster Ramsey et al.

I like Mr Wilson, and Coach Jauron - I'm a big supporter. Today was the worst Bills performance I can ever remember. For the first time I'm admitting that something needs to change. Poor coach - he looks beleagured - nothing has worked and it has to be affecting him. Need players!!!!!

funny that you asked this question. i was asking myself the same thing. i live on the west coast of canada and have absolutely no reason to root for the bills but i still do. when is was 15 back in '87 i seen Jim Kelly play and he was the ultimate competitor and became a Bill's fan on the spot. Nowadays I don't really have anyone to relate to on the team. I think I am a sucker for punishment. The Canucks are my favorite hockey team but they let me down year after year as well. I probably wouldn't know what to do if my team won a championship.

I have lived all my life in Maryland but long before the Ravens came to town (and long after the Colts left for Indianapolis) I was a kid rooting for the Bills, coughing up blood after Norwood missed the field goal (true story). If I jumped ship and rooted for the currently more successful Ravens or someone like that I'd be a bandwagoner. I am friends with a Patriots fan (he's a true life-long fan from New England, not a Brady bandwagoner.) He reminds me all the time about the crappy teams he had to endure for decades before they finally got a dynasty. Not saying we'll ever have a team like the Patriots have had during the Brady/Belicheck era but as hard as it is I plan on sticking with Buffalo til I die or they relocate (even though I'm not from Buffalo, it just wouldn't be the same if they moved to another city.)

BTW, whether you are from Buffalo or not you ALWAYS have a choice.