Not quite getting this logic from AVP

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/813335.html

Asked if there were chances to beat the Saints downfield that were not taken, Van Pelt said: "I'd say there were some chances, yes. There also were some chances where we chose to run the ball when we had one on one outside."

Van Pelt rattled off the results on those occasions: "We gained 6 three times, 5 one time, 3 another time, minus 1, minus 2, minus 3. So do you jeopardize your run game and put your O- line in a situation of holding the ball to try to throw it? You have to take all that into consideration."

---

Unless I'm misreading, this seems to be a defense of running the ball in situations where there was one-on-one coverage. Yet for the plays he lists, the Bills ran 8 times for 20 yards (2.5 ypc). That actually sucks.

Asked if there were chances to beat the Saints downfield that were not taken, Van Pelt said: "I'd say there were some chances, yes. There also were some chances where we chose to run the ball when we had one on one outside."

Van Pelt rattled off the results on those occasions: "We gained 6 three times, 5 one time, 3 another time, minus 1, minus 2, minus 3. So do you jeopardize your run game and put your O- line in a situation of holding the ball to try to throw it? You have to take all that into consideration."

---

Unless I'm misreading, this seems to be a defense of running the ball in situations where there was one-on-one coverage. Yet for the plays he lists, the Bills ran 8 times for 20 yards (2.5 ypc). That actually sucks.

We don't even know who is calling the plays. The Bills probably have some circus going on where Jauron decides run or pass and then the play is called by AVP or the running backs coach if it's a run.

---

we are back to the jp effect. this team does not trust it's qb to get the job done- key words from van pelt are "TRY TO THROW IT".

THEN AGAIN, MAYBE I'M READING TOO MUCH INTO IT?

What happened to "This year Trent will be able to audible to better plays at the line." Seems like every time Trent audibles, it's to a run.

When Lee or TO are singled up are we to believe they can't get open, if they can't maybe we need to be starting Steve and Justin.

Part of it is CYA by AVP for either his or Trent's shortcomings. The numbers do not make sense, but we also don't know who calls a run in that situation, and how would they know there's one on one coverage ahead of getting to the line?

To me it's TE's inability to adjust to a blitz. It's the same thing I've been saying since the Jets' game in 2007 and it's obvious that opposing D's have it figured out as well. The pressure will keep coming until he's able to consistently beat a 3-4 heavy blitzing D.

Guest dog14787
Sounds to me like he's apologizing for the Oline.. or their inability to pass block.

The O-line play against the Saints resembled the same O-line play we seen in the preseason. I knew it wasn't going to just disappear, but on the bright side we don't face a Greg Williams ran defense every week.

Greg Williams is one of the best defensive guru's in the game in my opinion.

What happened to "This year Trent will be able to audible to better plays at the line." Seems like every time Trent audibles, it's to a run.When Lee or TO are singled up are we to believe they can't get open, if they can't maybe we need to be starting Steve and Justin.

Right, just like the TD pass thrown to Lee Evans.

our pass blocking sucks so we ran it. the problem is the losing runs. if we had positive 4 or 5 yards a carry our drives would have been better. i think with lynch back we will be better running, lynch can turn -2 into +25, and most of our successful runs are more drawn out sweeps and delayed handoffs, where imo lynch excells.

The quote seems to point to the idea that Trent either feels compelled to stick with the run, or is reticent about taking shots outside into 1-on-1 coverage. To me it almost seems as though Trent is too robotic and too analytical. He seems to not have the ability (or permission?) to adjust to the flow of a game.

Part of it is CYA by AVP for either his or Trent's shortcomings. The numbers do not make sense, but we also don't know who calls a run in that situation, and how would they know there's one on one coverage ahead of getting to the line?

To me it's TE's inability to adjust to a blitz. It's the same thing I've been saying since the Jets' game in 2007 and it's obvious that opposing D's have it figured out as well. The pressure will keep coming until he's able to consistently beat a 3-4 heavy blitzing D.

Rob Johnson The Sequel.

It's becoming glaringly apparent that Trent is unable to play against the 3-4. He struggles mightily against it and the chimps we have as head coaches can't seem to get his to learn to play against it.

I don't know though if the 3-4 difficulty is on Trent, the coaches, or some combination of both. All I do know is that Trent SUCKS when the opposing team runs it.

Rob Johnson The Sequel.

Not quite that bad. He actually gets the ball away for a 4 yd gain when 6 is needed, before getting sacked. He's more like Kelly Holcomb, the sequel.

Not quite that bad. He actually gets the ball away for a 4 yd gain when 6 is needed, before getting sacked. He's more like Kelly Holcomb, the sequel.

My comparison was more to the fact that people just blitzed the crap out of RJ until he could prove he could beat it. I'm not sure they did that with KH.

exactly right. not quite THAT bad. the bills are only wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars and a 3rd round pick on trent where they wasted multiple millions and a 1st (who turned out to be fred taylor) and 4th round draft picks on johnson.

SHOW EM' THE BIG ONE ROB!

Of course, if they didn't do that, this Board would be rampant with comments about how you need to stick with the run, even when it isn't working....

My comparison was more to the fact that people just blitzed the crap out of RJ until he could prove he could beat it. I'm not sure they did that with KH.

Technically, they blitzed the crap out of him until he disappeared from the league.

What I want to know is who in the hell is running 4 yd routes when we need 6?