this IS whats wrong with the offense

Well Ill try to uncomplicate it but its kind of complicated.

Of course other factors could improve the performance of the O, things like better coaching, better effort from TO etc.

But the main reason is this... T Edwards.

More specifically ....

1.He is making his mind up before each play where he's going with the ball.

2.His only deep ball is the fly route which anyone can throw since the read for that is pre-snap.

3.His outlet on all plays is the 2 yard out or "flat" pattern. A pattern that is ripe for a pick 6 sooner or later.

4.As the defense gets closer and tighter he throws shorter and quicker Vs throwing over the top like he should.

5.Every third down goes to Reed. When Reed gets doubled he scrambles or throws the 2 yard out.

6.He hasnt shown the ability or "balls" to look off his first read and look "up" the field for a mid range route.

When you see other QB's pump faking, scrambling and making plays, and 40 year old Brett farve winning in spectacular fashion, how can we say Edwards has what it takes? Really how many mid range throws has this guy ever made? I remember very few and all of them were guys he locked into the whole way, never a second or third option. Where are the 15 yard dig or crossing routes? I never see these or even a skinny post. Even JP threw a nice skinny once a game. It seemed like there was one series in the saints game that they wanted to go to Evans, so it was a 3 yard curl, another 3 yarder and then an incomplete. He just doesnt have what it takes to make something happen if his first read isnt there. He plays QB like a robot IMHO.

Van pelt is a huge improvement but sadly this wont be enough, Edwards just doesnt have it. Great back up though.

Ps TO doesnt help, everytime I see him on a replay he is running 3/4 speed, not looking for the ball, or just plain dropping it. I think he is hurting the team at this point. Throw the ball to Evans for godsake!

Of course other factors could improve the performance of the O, things like better coaching, better effort from TO etc.

More specifically ....

2.His only deep ball is the fly route which anyone can throw since the read for that is pre-snap.

3.His outlet on all plays is the 2 yard out or "flat" pattern. A pattern that is ripe for a pick 6 sooner or later.

4.As the defense gets closer and tighter he throws shorter and quicker Vs throwing over the top like he should.

5.Every third down goes to Reed. When Reed gets doubled he scrambles or throws the 2 yard out.

6.He hasnt shown the ability or "balls" to look off his first read and look "up" the field for a mid range route.

When you see other QB's pump faking, scrambling and making plays, and 40 year old Brett farve winning in spectacular fashion, how can we say Edwards has what it takes? Really how many mid range throws has this guy ever made? I remember very few and all of them were guys he locked into the whole way, never a second or third option. Where are the 15 yard dig or crossing routes? I never see these or even a skinny post. Even JP threw a nice skinny once a game. It seemed like there was one series in the saints game that they wanted to go to Evans, so it was a 3 yard curl, another 3 yarder and then an incomplete. He just doesnt have what it takes to make something happen if his first read isnt there. He plays QB like a robot IMHO.

Van pelt is a huge improvement but sadly this wont be enough, Edwards just doesnt have it. Great back up though.

Ps TO doesnt help, everytime I see him on a replay he is running 3/4 speed, not looking for the ball, or just plain dropping it. I think he is hurting the team at this point. Throw the ball to Evans for godsake!

Very good analysis. I totally agree with you about Trent. Plays like a robot. Looks constantly tentative and never real comfortable. He is not starter material in the NFL. JP was not starter material, Bledsoe was washed up, and so was Holcomb. And RJ was not even backup material. God, our front office has no clue on what a QB should be able to do.

Also agree about TO. Looks to be going thru the motions. His heart does not look into it. He and the Bills do not seem to be a good fit. Do TE and TO ever talk? Does Trent ever talk with any of his receivers? Very dysfunctional offense. Lose to Miami and the bottom falls out. We get embarrased and Dick is gone, hello April fools. Hello Fitzie.

Reasonably accurate assessment of Trent. Only problem is if McKelvin holds onto the ball he is a 2-1 QB with a road win at NE. Perception is everyhting. Did you watch the Dallas game? Romo was throwing it to his TE, WR's on curl patterns, and backs out in the flat. He was called "efficient" by ESPN. You check down and win you are playing smart. You lose and you are gun shy. He hits that fly pattern to TO and the D holds then the Bills win and Trent is lauded for managing the game and keeping it close until they were able to strike. I would save my criticism of Trent from the NO game for the INT. Classic case of forcing it to TO. That is the one time, when he wasn't running for his life, that helet the pressure of TO force him into a bad throw.

I'd like to see him before the play decide it's going to TO. Like when the db is 10 yards off TO, wing a quick one out there. Or TO goes out 10 and cut to the sidelines and Trent throws the ball before he makes the cut. I see other teams doing this with success every week. Why can't we do that?

Very good analysis. I totally agree with you about Trent. Plays like a robot. Looks constantly tentative and never real comfortable. He is not starter material in the NFL. JP was not starter material, Bledsoe was washed up, and so was Holcomb. And RJ was not even backup material. God, our front office has no clue on what a QB should be able to do.

Also agree about TO. Looks to be going thru the motions. His heart does not look into it. He and the Bills do not seem to be a good fit. Do TE and TO ever talk? Does Trent ever talk with any of his receivers? Very dysfunctional offense. Lose to Miami and the bottom falls out. We get embarrased and Dick is gone, hello April fools. Hello Fitzie.

about 20 teams front offices have no idea what a QB should do..they are the ones playing golf when the regular season is over..dont make it sound too easy to find a QB

Reasonably accurate assessment of Trent. Only problem is if McKelvin holds onto the ball he is a 2-1 QB with a road win at NE. Perception is everyhting. Did you watch the Dallas game? Romo was throwing it to his TE, WR's on curl patterns, and backs out in the flat. He was called "efficient" by ESPN. You check down and win you are playing smart. You lose and you are gun shy. He hits that fly pattern to TO and the D holds then the Bills win and Trent is lauded for managing the game and keeping it close until they were able to strike. I would save my criticism of Trent from the NO game for the INT. Classic case of forcing it to TO. That is the one time, when he wasn't running for his life, that helet the pressure of TO force him into a bad throw.

The difference is TE seems to lock on one receiver per play, and if he isn't open, he looks to his safety valve. He doesn't take any chances looking to his 2nd and 3rd options which is why people consider him a letdown right now. He needs to go through his progressions, during each game he has missed open receivers which he needs to find a way to get them the ball so they can make plays. TE is taking the same mindset as DJ and playing not to lose.

Trent is actually going through reads/ progressions on most passing plays and the proof is there if you look at his helmet/ eyes so it is wrong to say he's deciding which guy to throw it to before every snap. He just hasn't had the Nads to let the ball go into any sort of tight coverage for the most part, even if it's just one on one coverage. This he needs to learn to do.

Trrent is clearly a POS as QB. If he aint, then there aint no such thing as a POS.

For those with the rose colored glasses and the koolaid dripping of your lips...

Just read an article... NFL stat keepers define short passes as those that travel in the air 15 yards or less. YAC have no relevevance in this particular stat. TE has thrown 91 passes so far. You guessed it... 78 of them were short as defined by the NFL stat guys. What about the other 13 that traveled 16 yards or more? Miserable! TE completed only 4 of them for 117 yards. So, if you're an NFL DC, you tell me... when you look at those stats, how would you defend the Bills. Any dmn way you please, because you know no matter what you do, your chances of getting dinged for the big play are about as high as you winning the mega millions lottery.

Here's a dude that is clearly pissed off about his new name... "captain checkdown". The problem is, he can't change his ways. A leopard aint gonna change his spots. He is what he is.... 3 years and several starts in the NFL.... he aint going to reinvent himself.

The front office is at fault for bringing Edwards and Losman to town in the first place. Both were monumental losers at the college level. Neither had a clue as what it was like to win or how to win, or even have the will to win. They merely played the freakin position and had the priveledge of being the starter.

Lastly... you tell me, what NFL HC that was all about winning, would not yank him from the starting lineup? Just another indictment of Jauron.... and more evidence that it wasn't his idea to get rid of Turk. It may have been his decision, because it was either Turk or him... Ralph gave him a choice. If Miami spanks the Bills this week, Ralph may be in his ear once again.

Trent is actually going through reads/ progressions on most passing plays and the proof is there if you look at his helmet/ eyes so it is wrong to say he's deciding which guy to throw it to before every snap. He just hasn't had the Nads to let the ball go into any sort of tight coverage for the most part, even if it's just one on one coverage. This he needs to learn to do.

Some people like to claim Edwards has the required arm strength because he can loft the ball 50 yards. Arm strength also includes being able to get the ball to your WR's 20 yards down field in tight coverage. Edwards doesn't have the velocity to make those throws and that is the reason he is hesitant to throw them. Growing a pair would certainly help but so would having the arm strength to zip those balls into tight spaces.

The guy is not a gunslinger. You gotta take some chances in the NFL. Everyone is too talented to play it safe. U got to throw to spots sometimes and let the WR's make some plays. Add to that, the offense lacks creativity. How about lining TO and Evans on the same side, using some motion. Add to that TO appears to be dogging it.

Some people like to claim Edwards has the required arm strength because he can loft the ball 50 yards. Arm strength also includes being able to get the ball to your WR's 20 yards down field in tight coverage. Edwards doesn't have the velocity to make those throws and that is the reason he is hesitant to throw them. Growing a pair would certainly help but so would having the arm strength to zip those balls into tight spaces.

It is my opinion (based on seeing him in camp, live at the Ralph, and on TV) that he has PLENTY of zip on his throws and can make the 15-20 yard out without much of a problem. I'm pretty darn sure the "experts" actually in the game would agree with that too. Growing a pair, developing better anticipation on routes, etc. is what he needs to do.

It is my opinion (based on seeing him in camp, live at the Ralph, and on TV) that he has PLENTY of zip on his throws and can make the 15-20 yard out without much of a problem. I'm pretty darn sure the "experts" actually in the game would agree with that too. Growing a pair, developing better anticipation on routes, etc. is what he needs to do.

Edwards will squish the fish.......... go bills

More specifically ....

Pretty good analysis. I noticed this too at the game on sunday. He was only looking at one part of the field everytime he dropped back. I still think Edwards has the tools to be a very good qb, but hopefully he has a better game against the phins.

More specifically ....

Very good points. After the saints game I was actually saying, "when's the last time you saw trent throw the ball 15 + yds down the middle of the field?" I'm not sure if this is a function of the plays not having enough routes go there or if it's a function of trent being afraid to throw into traffic. However, it does seem like a D coordinator can just have people cover the flats/sidelines and shallow ins and they're all set.

When the kid has time he is fine....we completely fired the line protecting him last year.

Now this year's replacements are young and learning.

Edwards had time in games 1 & 2 and produced. In game 3 the Saints gave the defensive coordinator the game ball for complex Blitz packages that our offensive coordinator (not our QB) did not have a blocking scheme to counter it effectively.

Its nice to talk about looking off WR's and going to the 2nd & 3rd option....the problem for ANY Buffalo Qb the last 5 years has been he rarely has the time to do so !

More specifically ....

Very good points....

Ive been saying the same thing since last season. Trent has this mythical rep about how smart he is as a QB, but its actually just the opposite. He may be a very smart guy (although going to Stanford doesnt make you smart when you were heavily recruited, it just means you can play ball and they wanted you to play ball there), but it hasnt translated to his ability to read coverages or defenses.

He has yet to demonstrate the ability to consistently look off defenders, recognize coverages early enough, throw to where his target will be open (as opposed to waiting for him to be open which is often too late), etc etc. Of Course, when I point this out I get flamed by the people who dont know anything about football that I just hate Trent and I am on a crusade...

Myth #2 about Trent is that he is VERY accurate: He actually isnt...he looks accurate on the stat sheet after throwing a bunch of short simple throws that any 3rd string QB could make. Becuase that is the bulk of his throws, it pads his accuracy stats. But if you watch him in game, his mid level to deep balls are not very accurate and are tough catches for his targets, underthrown, makes the reciever break stride to catch them, or not even catchable...of course the devout Trent supporters will argue to death that he is so accurate because of his completion %.

I am sure someone is going to pick out 1, 2, or 3 passes like the TO drop and Evans TD to show how accurate he is at the deep ball all the while completely ignoring the many many more mid to deep throws that were not on target. He is an NFL QB, of course he is going to hit some nice throws, even 3rd stringers do, but that doesnt mean he is great or consistent at it.

The difference is TE seems to lock on one receiver per play, and if he isn't open, he looks to his safety valve. He doesn't take any chances looking to his 2nd and 3rd options which is why people consider him a letdown right now. He needs to go through his progressions, during each game he has missed open receivers which he needs to find a way to get them the ball so they can make plays. TE is taking the same mindset as DJ and playing not to lose.

When your OL gives you only 2 seconds, you can only have a single look before dumping off..