Listening Colin Coward this Morning and about QBs

StupidNation

He mentions how bad the QBs are in TB, Clev, Oak and how a great QB like Cutler is changing the Bears with very little offensive weapons. Now Cutler will also lose you games like his 1st one with 4 INTs, but he is making plays for the Bears when they need him.

He mentioned Edwards in a very positive light and said and I'm paraphrasing: "He's a bright kid, from an Ivy League school, highly recruited as best HS QB in the country... but he played badly, and of course he would with that offensive line. There's no way you can play well with a line like that. He'll turn it around and the Bills will turn it around with some experience and a new coaching staff."

Trent played decent to good the first 2 weeks and didn't play well with pressure, and played just awful outside the tackles, but to say we are done with him is ridiculous. You do realize there are only 4 great QBs playing and the rest are good to mediocre to flat out bad and Trent is in that mediocre category right now.

People see him in a better light nationwide and only the one week Bills fans who love him and hate him week in and week out bash him. The guy is making some plays, but this is a learning curve from a guy who has shown some very good tools. I'm not ready to run on the guy until the Chiefs game. He played 2 good games and one poor one, that's not bad for a 3rd year guy with bad pass protection.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just remember Trent in the game at Washington (was that two seasons ago?), where we won it at the end, vs. San Diego last season, vs. Jacksonville ... Trent was throwing lasers.

I think he is capable. But, as I was watching some highlights again, on many occasions, he couldn't even make a 5-step drop. After three steps, Grant and the other Saints linemen were either hitting him, or flushing him.

Having said that, I was so frustrated yesterday. I don't blame TO one bit, and I think they should have run a curl route on the last play to get him his reception. That would have been decent. We had already lost the game. Now, we lost the game AND TOs streak.

He mentions how bad the QBs are in TB, Clev, Oak and how a great QB like Cutler is changing the Bears with very little offensive weapons. Now Cutler will also lose you games like his 1st one with 4 INTs, but he is making plays for the Bears when they need him.

He mentioned Edwards in a very positive light and said and I'm paraphrasing: "He's a bright kid, from an Ivy League school, highly recruited as best HS QB in the country... but he played badly, and of course he would with that offensive line. There's no way you can play well with a line like that. He'll turn it around and the Bills will turn it around with some experience and a new coaching staff."

Ivy League schools.

the problem I see is this...

IF the Bills change coaches there is NO guarantee they will keep Edwards.

And the rebuilding starts all over again.

I give TO 3 more weeks to prove himself and get on the same page as Trent AND put that sticky crap on your hands and ot gloves.

Then I say cut him and get a TE.

there is something horribly wrong. Dont know what it is, but Edwards is a suspect.

Fine and Reed get thrown to like 30 times. Again. Schoumann was thrown to until his legs got broke.

there was no time yesterday to setup the long plays.

Edwards was getting a 2-one-thousand count and if he didnt get rid of the ball, had guys all over him.

long-ball plays take time to setup.

when you are dropping back going "1-one-thousand, 2-one-thousand, BALL" you cant get the mid to long plays setup. you just cant. its that simple.

Edwards was getting a 2-one-thousand count and if he didnt get rid of the ball, had guys all over him.

when you are dropping back going "1-one-thousand, 2-one-thousand, BALL" you cant get the mid to long plays setup. you just cant. its that simple.

This is why quick slants work. Even if a DB is glued to Evans/Owens/Reed, all they need to do is make a quick turn and be in front of the DB. Trent needs just those 2 seconds to get the pass away. If it's not there, then throw it over someone's head and onto the sidelines. If it's there, you force the DB to make a great play or go through the receiver to the ball (i.e., pass interference). Once these start working, run a few draw plays to slow down the pass rush. Once those draw plays get into the defense's mind, then the intermediate and longer plays become available.

This is why quick slants work. Even if a DB is glued to Evans/Owens/Reed, all they need to do is make a quick turn and be in front of the DB. Trent needs just those 2 seconds to get the pass away. If it's not there, then throw it over someone's head and onto the sidelines. If it's there, you force the DB to make a great play or go through the receiver to the ball (i.e., pass interference). Once these start working, run a few draw plays to slow down the pass rush. Once those draw plays get into the defense's mind, then the intermediate and longer plays become available.

i agree. but are quick slants even IN this offense? i know thats a ridiculous question, but i have to ask seeing as how we have never used them in the past few years. and what happened to screens too?

AVP is in an article on the front page saying he didnt make the correct adjustments. i guess the 3 of us agree.

i agree. but are quick slants even IN this offense? i know thats a ridiculous question, but i have to ask seeing as how we have never used them in the past few years. and what happened to screens too?

AVP is in an article on the front page saying he didnt make the correct adjustments. i guess the 3 of us agree.

The screen worked in week 1. Of course we stopped using it.

Trent played decent to good the first 2 weeks and didn't play well with pressure, and played just awful outside the tackles, but to say we are done with him is ridiculous. You do realize there are only 4 great QBs playing and the rest are good to mediocre to flat out bad and Trent is in that mediocre category right now.

People see him in a better light nationwide and only the one week Bills fans who love him and hate him week in and week out bash him. The guy is making some plays, but this is a learning curve from a guy who has shown some very good tools. I'm not ready to run on the guy until the Chiefs game. He played 2 good games and one poor one, that's not bad for a 3rd year guy with bad pass protection.

Really? Do you honestly think Trent is as good as anyone in the league apart from 4 guys? I would rate all of these guys to be significantly better QB's than Trent:

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Phil Rivers

Ben Rothlisberger

Tony Romo

Bret Farve

Kurt Warner

Donovan McNabb

Matt Ryan

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Good arguments could be made that these guys are also better than he is, or soon will be or once was:

Joe Flacco

Jake DelHomme

Matthew Schaub

Aaron Rogers

Kerry Collins

Carson Palmer

These young guys are looking like they have a pretty good future so far:

Stafford

Campbel

Sanchez

Frankly, out of those 20, if age weren't a factor, I'd trade Trent for almost any one of them. Because of age, I'd drop McNabb, Farve, Collins and Warner. Hard to tell with Sanchez, Stafford and Campbell, just too young but I'd still be willing to do it for Stafford and Sanchez.

This is a big year for Trent and it would be unfair to judge him based on yesterday, just as it would be unrealistic to base a judgment the other way based on the Tampa game. However, I don't buy at all the notion that we ought to stick with him because we can't do much better. He is the guy for this year but come the offseason, if he hasn't shown a lot more than he has so far, buh-bye. I thought it was a big mistake to have no young project guy on the bench or a wily old vet just in case. Hamdan is just taking up space and Fitzpatrick has shown that he is not very likley to ever be more than a back-up. You can't get lucky if you don't take a chance. We seem willing to do that with tackles, why not with QBs?

He seems to do well when the play as designed is open but when it isn't and he has to improvise or make something out of nothing, he just doesn't seem to have a knack for that. Not yet anyway.

Really? Do you honestly think Trent is as good as anyone in the league apart from 4 guys? I would rate all of these guys to be significantly better QB's than Trent:

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Phil Rivers

Ben Rothlisberger

Tony Romo

Bret Farve

Kurt Warner

Donovan McNabb

Matt Ryan

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Good arguments could be made that these guys are also better than he is, or soon will be or once was:

Joe Flacco

Jake DelHomme

Matthew Schaub

Aaron Rogers

Kerry Collins

Carson Palmer

These young guys are looking like they have a pretty good future so far:

Stafford

Campbel

Sanchez

Frankly, out of those 20, if age weren't a factor, I'd trade Trent for almost any one of them. Because of age, I'd drop McNabb, Farve, Collins and Warner. Hard to tell with Sanchez, Stafford and Campbell, just too young but I'd still be willing to do it for Stafford and Sanchez.

This is a big year for Trent and it would be unfair to judge him based on yesterday, just as it would be unrealistic to base a judgment the other way based on the Tampa game. However, I don't buy at all the notion that we ought to stick with him because we can't do much better. He is the guy for this year but come the offseason, if he hasn't shown a lot more than he has so far, buh-bye. I thought it was a big mistake to have no young project guy on the bench or a wily old vet just in case. Hamdan is just taking up space and Fitzpatrick has shown that he is not very likley to ever be more than a back-up. You can't get lucky if you don't take a chance. We seem willing to do that with tackles, why not with QBs?

He seems to do well when the play as designed is open but when it isn't and he has to improvise or make something out of nothing, he just doesn't seem to have a knack for that. Not yet anyway.

I agree completely. To say only 4 QBs are better is crazy at best.

At some point, you have to look at the common denominator for the failures of the Bills. Over the past decade, we have had good receivers, good DTs, good DEs, good linebackers, good running backs, good corner backs, good OT's, and good safeties.

But, three things remain:

1) Lack of a great QB (when Bledsoe is your best QB over the past decade, thats no good)

2) Lack of a good FO (this includes Wilson who despite the tremendous respect he is owed, is too outdated for the task ahead. Yea yea, everyone will come to his defense. I'm not criticizing him, I'm just saying our team is being run by a 90 year old man. This does not bode well, no matter who you are)

3) Lack of good coaching

Not sure what particular order these should go in, but Cutler has demonstrated what a good young QB can do for a franchise. And Cutler would love to have our offensive weapons.

Then adjust!!! Runs some SLANTS! Yes, a slant. DO we know what the is? Or how about a screen. The screens looked good in week 1.

Did you watch Payton Manning last nite? He goes back and bang, he releases the ball. Trent holds the ball wayyyy too long, good doctor. To not put a majority of the blame on him for the loss is just wrong. Again, as I have said several times today. He has no feel for the game around him.

AAHHHH. So this is where some of the apologists have been hiding. Offering each other assurances that everything else is to blame for Trent's failings.

1) O-line is young and got injured. Some plays Trent had 2 seconds some plays he had plenty of time. When you do get the time make the defense pay. Hey a lot of people thought our old line was so terrible and Peters was a chump. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLO. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward I guess. We are going to see inconsistency like this for a while.

2) Coaching is not problem #1. Universal rule...YOU CAN'T COACH BALLS OR ARM STRENGTH. Trent doesn't have enough of former and I wish he had more of the latter which could improve his problem with the former!

3) Did anyone else notice that almost ALL of the time Trent audibles he goes to a running play?

"Winners always want the ball when the game is on the line!" - Gene Hackman "The Replacements"

Last time I checked, we run a no huddle offense....Trent has the ability to check into whatever play he feels would work best....if he feels he cant get the ball down field...then check out of long passes....

have TO/Evans run shorter routes...