Listening Colin Coward this Morning and about QBs

StupidNation

Last time I checked, we run a no huddle offense....Trent has the ability to check into whatever play he feels would work best....if he feels he cant get the ball down field...then check out of long passes....

have TO/Evans run shorter routes...

BLASPHEMY! The problem is coaching and play calling!!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Do you honestly think Trent is as good as anyone in the league apart from 4 guys?

I don't remember saying that and actually I said he was mediocre. If you misunderstood me than I apologize for my means of writing. I think he's middle of the pack mediocre: better than Kerry Collins but not better than Aaron Rodgers or Carson Palmer. I still think Eli Manning is unproven and is just now playing well for the first time in regular season without Burress. Other than playing well in post-season one year he hasn't looked elite. I put the elite at 4 with Manning, Brees, Warner, and Brady. Then comes the good group with Rivers, Romo, Farve (who was elite and looked elite yesterday), Big Ben, etc.

I put Trent in the mediocre category. He's a clone of Hasselback IMO. He will never amaze you but he won't play horribly either (except for the Cleveland game last year) in normal circumstances.

I disagree with Campbell though, I think his career as starter is going bust quickly in year #5.

This is a big year for Trent and it would be unfair to judge him based on yesterday, just as it would be unrealistic to base a judgment the other way based on the Tampa game. However, I don't buy at all the notion that we ought to stick with him because we can't do much better. He is the guy for this year but come the offseason, if he hasn't shown a lot more than he has so far, buh-bye.

I think the Chiefs game is a better indication and I do not need to see a whole year of him to see him succeed. Yes, it took Brees 4 years, but he is a rare egg who was throwing very well at Purdue.

I thought it was a big mistake to have no young project guy on the bench or a wily old vet just in case. Hamdan is just taking up space and Fitzpatrick has shown that he is not very likley to ever be more than a back-up. You can't get lucky if you don't take a chance. We seem willing to do that with tackles, why not with QBs?

I agree.

He seems to do well when the play as designed is open but when it isn't and he has to improvise or make something out of nothing, he just doesn't seem to have a knack for that. Not yet anyway.

I agree as well.

The offense did poorly against the Saints, because the O-line had their worst game so far.

Wood, in particular, was having an awful afternoon - beaten repeatedly, interspersed with bad penalties.

Since Wood has shown us plenty to be excited about already, and has played a total of 3 real games, I'm inclined to shrug my shoulders, say "our line is ridiculously young, and will have some bad days against top pass rushes", and look forward to watching the improvement next week.

We are also down a couple of pegs at RT, if you hadn't noticed.

Meanwhile, Hangartner was having an outrageously bad time snapping the ball. At least 5 I saw Trent had to scoop up off the turf, which doesn't help him get into his stance and start his reads which he has to do quickly because of the rush. The same rush, no doubt, which Hangartner's struggles to handle were causing him to mess up his snaps.

But sure - that's a good reason to jettison yet another promising QB - in this case, one that the countless national analysts, including great former QB's, are extremely impressed by. :thumbsup:

I don't blame TO one bit, and I think they should have run a curl route on the last play to get him his reception. That would have been decent. We had already lost the game. Now, we lost the game AND TOs streak.

That's what Flutie did for Andre Reed to set his record, whatever it was. Pretty lame of Dick and Trent to not think of that.

But sure - that's a good reason to jettison yet another promising QB - in this case, one that the countless national analysts, including great former QB's, are extremely impressed by. :thumbsup:

Failure to beat wining teams. Inability to read and beat 3 - 4 defensive looks. A tool box that is 3/4 full of all of the passes an NFL QB should be able to make. Inability or unwillingness to throw beyond 15 yards. Inability or unwillingness to throw over the middle.

The only promise I see is of more mediocrity and a renewed search for a franchise QB. Check my math but did we give JP this long? It's about time to break out the pitch forks and torches and run this guy out of town if he doesn't grow a set!!!!!

Cower is a !@#$ing moron and I doubt he's seen more of Edwards than the opener on Monday Night in New England. Dude knows absolutely dick about the NFL.

I don't know if Edwards will ever overcome his penchant for checking down but the clock on his career is rapidly winding down if he doesn't.

Did you watch Payton Manning last nite? He goes back and bang, he releases the ball. Trent holds the ball wayyyy too long, good doctor. To not put a majority of the blame on him for the loss is just wrong. Again, as I have said several times today. He has no feel for the game around him.

i dont disagree, and im not sure why my post which pointed out he didnt have more than 3 seconds is being read as a "dont blame trent" post. but the time he had (or didnt have) is a fact.

i was doing the 2-one-thousand count out loud and yelling "THROW THE BALL" after 2, so I agree, he has to be delivering the ball. but maaaybe the play that was called calls for the throw to be delivered at 4-one-thousand?

again, as i posted last night, trying to blame everything on "Just Trent" or "Just the Line" or "Just AVP" or "Just the WRs" is foolish. they all played bad and not one of them helped the other. so we can go in circles all day as to WHOSE fault this is, when the answer is obvious... THE OFFENSE

Jackson and Reed were the only ones that showed up to play. The rest of the offense stuck as a whole. Thats all there is to it.

The Line sucked, which made Trent suck, which made the WRs suck, which made Trent suck, which made the Line suck...

i dont disagree, and im not sure why my post which pointed out he didnt have more than 3 seconds is being read as a "dont blame trent" post. but the time he had (or didnt have) is a fact.

i was doing the 2-one-thousand count out loud and yelling "THROW THE BALL" after 2, so I agree, he has to be delivering the ball. but maaaybe the play that was called calls for the throw to be delivered at 4-one-thousand?

again, as i posted last night, trying to blame everything on "Just Trent" or "Just the Line" or "Just AVP" or "Just the WRs" is foolish. they all played bad and not one of them helped the other. so we can go in circles all day as to WHOSE fault this is, when the answer is obvious... THE OFFENSE

Jackson and Reed were the only ones that showed up to play. The rest of the offense stuck as a whole. Thats all there is to it.

The Line sucked, which made Trent suck, which made the WRs suck, which made Trent suck, which made the Line suck...

It's JP Losman's fault. :thumbsup:

No, actually, the Bills ran the screen quite a bit Sunday - the Saints were looking for it, and stopped it cold.

Then, because he isn't a complete idiot, AVP stopped trying it so much.

Which brings up another point getting lost in the B word-fest: New Orleans' defense played a hell of a game yesterday. It wasn't just the Bills' offense sucking - NO took away most of what was successful the past two weeks for the Bills.

Gregg Williams may have been a meathead head coach...the man's a pretty damn good DC, though.

Which brings up another point getting lost in the B word-fest: New Orleans' defense played a hell of a game yesterday. It wasn't just the Bills' offense sucking - NO took away most of what was successful the past two weeks for the Bills.

Gregg Williams may have been a meathead head coach...the man's a pretty damn good DC, though.

Agreed, and our D was #2 or 3 in the league when we had the meatbag.

ok, you win with that one :unsure:

The SAD FACT is any time Trent has faced a GOOD team, he has not looked as good as JP has against good teams. Please don't tell me he played good against the Pats*. He had two good drives, the rest of the game he was mediocre. People like to point to his record & say it is better than JP's but they don't factor in the teams he has played against. This year Trent BETTER step it up or he will be history along with Dick.

The SAD FACT is any time Trent has faced a GOOD team, he has not looked as good as JP has against good teams. Please don't tell me he played good against the Pats*. He he two good drives, the rest of the game he was mediocre. People like to point to his record & say it is better than JP's but they don't factor in the teams he has played against. This year Trent BETTER step it up or he will be history along with Dick.

His record is, what, 13-13? Wahoo!

Then adjust!!! Runs some SLANTS! Yes, a slant. DO we know what the is? Or how about a screen. The screens looked good in week 1.

Hmm. A Quick Slant, eh?

Well, one of the biggest plays in the game was a 4th quarter (or late 3rd qtr) 3rd down Slant to TO and Greer played it beautifully deflecting it in the air for Will Smith to intercept. Kid was like glue on TO yesterday.

I like them also in the right situatioin and coverage and that one had no chance and shows you why they are dangerous.

He said there were only 4 great QB's. While I would disagree(probably closer to 6) with that he didn't mean Trent is the 5th best QB in the league. He meant he was in the conversation of a large group of second tier QB's in the league.

If Trent were checking down to a TE like Gates that Rivers had the luxury of having or if he had the o-line and running game that Roethlisberger had early on I think we would have a better idea if Trent is or is not the guy.

With this coaching staff and the o-line the last few years, how can anyone know?????

I noticed this as well. It does not do much to demonstrate the thoroughness and commitment to quality of the writer, or enhance his credibility.

While you're criticizing Cowherd's misidentification of Stanford as an Ivy League school, you might be interested to know that you are misidentifying him as a writer. He's actually a radio personality for ESPN.

Thus the thread title "Listening to Colin Coward (sic) this Morning about QBs"

i agree. but are quick slants even IN this offense? i know thats a ridiculous question, but i have to ask seeing as how we have never used them in the past few years. and what happened to screens too?

AVP is in an article on the front page saying he didnt make the correct adjustments. i guess the 3 of us agree.

TO's first catch from Edwards in the preseason was a slant route right over the middle...I haven't seen TO run that route once so far during the season.