The Euphoria has worn off and...

ColdBlueNorth

Was watching the TB game again and just about every time Tampa had a big receiving play I saw a player nearby that seemed to be in the wrong place, not arriving in time to give help overtop, etc...

I kept saying to myself who is that #31???

Jairus Byrd - this kid is going to need to grow up in a hurry to be ready for NO.

I know we expect a lot from rookies, but times are a-changing.

After the euphoria of actually pulling out a win and sealing the deal wore off, I also felt that our offense had a lot of opportunities with a short field that ended in field goals. The score should have been even more lopsided. Against good teams we really can't afford to squander those shots.

I do feel like the offense is getting better, still need to use our Tight Ends more in the passing game, but AVP is setting up the offense in a way that plays to Edward's strengths and gradually getting him more comfortable with taking chances. I think that Fairchild had just about ruined that kid, maybe AVP can bring him back from the brink and help him grow into his potential.

I understand him being a rookie, but this is a year where we are starting a lot of youngsters.

I guess I am simply stating the obvious. That if Fewell is gong to use him on critical 3rd down, and/or nickle packages then he is going to have to step up and do his homework.

that... or the second half of the year may be meaningless

He was the safety on the last TD play against the Pats* as well. What I don't understand is why he's seeing so much play time this early in the year...and on critical plays?

...playing a new position.

I know that the coaches are high on this kid, from what I have read they feel that he is instinctive and has ball-hawking skills.

We are going to need to see those on display sooner rather than later.

There were quite a few blown coverage assignments that our pass rush made up for... but covering the opposing tight end is still a problem for us. Especially that turd Stevens. I thought his name sounded familiar.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...stevens270.html

Not impressed YET, but hopefully he will show something soon.

He is supposed to be a bit more fluid and faster in coverage than Donte, but asking a rookie to read NFL plays right out of the gate is asking a lot. He was just one of the weak links in coverage that I hope are up to the task this Sunday.

There is always AT LEAST one....

That takes an innocent comment and runs like mad with it. What took you so long?

Did I say "bust"?

I said I was not impressed with his play yet, were you?

Yes, he has 2 games under his belt, but apparently the coaches have seen enough to trust him in those 3rd and long situations. Whatever they saw he hasn't brought yet - I hope he does soon if they have him out there against Brees and we don't get any help from the weather.

I understand him being a rookie, but this is a year where we are starting a lot of youngsters.

I guess I am simply stating the obvious. That if Fewell is gong to use him on critical 3rd down, and/or nickle packages then he is going to have to step up and do his homework.

I don't think that is the case. Yes, we are starting two rookie guards and a young OL in general. but we are not "starting" Byrd. He barely plays outside special teams. He is a smart kid. I don't think doing homework is an issue with him. I think he just needs to get used to professional football, and that takes time. It is like Maybin. Sure, he is playing. but he is starting. Their early development isn't critical like it is for wood and leveitre.

After missing most of camp I don't expect much from him until next year...but he can't learn without making mistakes. That is why we call them rookies.

All too true, but if he is out there he has got to expect that Brees will be looking for him.

This team is asking a lot of children to grow up in a hurry this year, it wouldn't be the first time we threw a safety or DB into the fire.

I don't think that is the case. Yes, we are starting two rookie guards and a young OL in general. but we are not "starting" Byrd. He barely plays outside special teams. He is a smart kid. I don't think doing homework is an issue with him. I think he just needs to get used to professional football, and that takes time. It is like Maybin. Sure, he is playing. but he is starting. Their early development isn't critical like it is for wood and leveitre.

I think that they might be starting him on obvious passing situations.

Donte and Scott are the starting safeties, but Donte does throw his body around a lot and ended up injured last year. They are certainly trying to groom some insurance. I would not be shocked if Bryd ends up having to start for Whitner at some point this year.

This organization is not afraid to start new safeties (remember Whitner and the departed millionaire Ko Simpson started as rookies).

I say play him.. looks like a very talented athlete with good size. this team is 8-8 best case this year.. get Byrd and Nelson in the darn games... Bryon Scott and the F-bomb are not the starters for 2010, these guys are... might as well make your rookie mistakes now

Yes - he's played in 2 NFL games, from which we can clearly tell he's a bust. <_<

Not to mention he is coming off a big injury. The impatient bitches on this board would of ran Eric Moulds and Bruce Smith out of town if the internet was around

Not to mention he is coming off a big injury. The impatient bitches on this board would of ran Eric Moulds and Bruce Smith out of town if the internet was around

I've often said the best thing that ever happened to the Buffalo Bills was when Jim Kelly went to the USFL and got to develop without anyone bitching at him for every little thing.

Was watching the TB game again and just about every time Tampa had a big receiving play I saw a player nearby that seemed to be in the wrong place, not arriving in time to give help overtop, etc...

Jairus Byrd - this kid is going to need to grow up in a hurry to be ready for NO.

After the euphoria of actually pulling out a win and sealing the deal wore off, I also felt that our offense had a lot of opportunities with a short field that ended in field goals. The score should have been even more lopsided. Against good teams we really can't afford to squander those shots.

I do feel like the offense is getting better, still need to use our Tight Ends more in the passing game, but AVP is setting up the offense in a way that plays to Edward's strengths and gradually getting him more comfortable with taking chances. I think that Fairchild had just about ruined that kid, maybe AVP can bring him back from the brink and help him grow into his potential.

Expect Byrd to take a while, possibly till next season.

So you are basically saying he's a rookie, right? Surprise! A rookie played like a rookie!

Expect Byrd to take a while, possibly till next season.

I agree, but for DJ's sake they need him and that backfield to come together quickly.

I have mixed feelings about DJ this year. He is a career loser, but I feel like he did make some good personnel decisions. He is generally bad at managing game-time decisions, but players enjoy playing for him. I also wonder how long it would take for a new system to have a positive effect on the "W" column if Ralph fires the man?

I thought that we had good pressure on Leftwich from the line and blitzes, and still he was able to complete quite a few deep passes.

You have been around for a while Pete, I would have expected more from you.

I have been hitting the Wall (not with my head BTW) since Scott moved it from the Rochester D&C. I don't really think that I qualify as an "impatient" fan of the Bills nor would I say that about any fans that suck it up and follow this franchise year after frustrating year.

Bruce was an impact player and a rare talent - everyone could see that when he came into the league.

Marv made Eric sit way too long behind Reed and others, everyone could see that Eric had the skills. Eric was part of one of the richest drafts in wide receivers 1996. Do folks realize that Owens went #89 in 3rd round of that same draft and he is still an impact WR.

Not impressed yet, means not impressed yet - nothing more. The one thing this organization does do well is develop defensive backs and safeties. My comments were geared towards the fact that our secondary, and apparently the rookies playing on it have to step it up if they plan on hanging with NO.

Seems like so many seasons of sub-mediocre Bill's football has had taken it's toll on the Wall. If I sound impatient, and I am sure that I am not alone (this board has grown postively sunny since the one win against TB), my apologies. It probably has something to do with not wanting this team to miss the playoffs again, fire the staff, and start the whole freaking process over.

To point out that Byrd looks like a rookie with 2 NFL starts, I guess... :unsure:

Apparently still having problems with that whole "reading" thing.

the rest of my original post goes something like this:

"I know we expect a lot from rookies, but times are a-changing.

I do feel like the offense is getting better, still need to use our Tight Ends more in the passing game, but AVP is setting up the offense in a way that plays to Edward's strengths and gradually getting him more comfortable with taking chances. I think that Fairchild had just about ruined that kid, maybe AVP can bring him back from the brink and help him grow into his potential."

What is the point of my post?? I could ask the same about any post, but my POINTS were 1) that Bryd is playing like the rookie he is, and I was suprised to see him out there 2) AVP does seem to be tailoring the offense for Edwards, whereas Fairchild just about ruined him. 3) the offense though improving often had a short field but ended up with field goalls 4) We are still being schooled by tight ends - that is where we are giving up passing TD's (that last point was in a reply)

For what it worth, which is not a whole hell of a lot for folks that cannot read past the first couple lines.

Don't take it personally. Our attention spans are really short.

I know Darin, but just about every new post is telling me, "he's a rookie" as if that was my point.

I know he's a rookie, I was just suprised to see him out on the field during a close game so soon. I also made about 3-4 more rambling observations that I somehow managed to make invisible to the common reader :unsure: