I just watched Coach Jauron's PC from today.

Tipster19

It's breath of fresh air to watch and listen to someone who exudes honesty, integrity and sincerity. No cat and mouse replies or deceptive verbage. I liked it and I find myself impressed and liking Coach Jauron..... a lot. I don't know just how good or lacking of a coach he is but one of my stronger points is reading people and this guy is a downright class act.

I don't know what really goes on within an organization with their football operations. I like to think that I know something and to speculate with my opinion and intuition but the reality is I don't know squat about it and I strongly suspect that most of us don't either. I'll admit that going into the season I had very little hope of our success and was becoming more and more anti-Jauron but seeing what has happen so far this season, and yes I do realize that it has only been two games, I'm starting to think that I just might have erred in my conviction of him.

It's not just the coach who is the end all with a team, he's just more of the face of a team, someone who is the public identity of a team and franchise. He isn't the one who is solely responsible for who's on the team. The GM is probably the one who carries the most clout in the final say in what becomes a team's personnel. Then the assistant coachs are accountable for holding up their end of responsibility also. Listen, I'm not foolish enough to think or believe that the coach holds most of the responsibility of what goes on with a team. I do still think that there isn't a ton of competency on the sidelines with the smaller aspects of a game with the nuances of clock management, play calling and decision making during a game but I think what a HC is most responsible for is the schemes and I think that Jauron is actually doing an admirable job so far this year.

I think that with Brandon being more solidified in his position, he is changing the mentality of this team with players who are good young football players and getting rid of the overpaid primadonnas. hence Coach Jauron is getting the proper players that he can develope and to be willing to execute the game plans/schemes more efficently.

This post is coming out kind of crappy and I'm not explaining it as well as when it was in my head initially but I hope that some of my thoughts transcended enough to explain my intention of this post.

PS- I actually believe that we stand more than a good chance of beating the Saints come this Sunday. Here's where the compensation may come in for always drafting all those secondary players we did in the last few years. We need McCargo/Williams/Maybin to get into that backfield and keep an awful lot of pressure on Brees. The Saints suddenly have some concerns with their RBs and I don't think their defense is gelling as much as they would have liked them to be this early into the season. We need Trent to stay upright and get the ball to our playmakers. I also think that TE Shawn Nelson just might have a much bigger game than expected and if not him then one of our TEs in addition to the Owens and Evans combo. I also wouldn't be surprised that if Josh Reed doesn't suit up for this game then Roscoe could be a very dangerous slot receiver for us in Reed's place during this particular contest. We would also need our ST returners to have huge returns and Moorman needs to bury the ball on any of his punts.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your assessment on him being a good person. I have never liked Coach Jauron as a coach but I was at the pro football hall of fame ceremony and had floor seating and there he was right in front of me. He talked with all the fans and signed autographs that everyone had asked. Then a person who was disabled came up to him and in a wheelchair. The child just wanted a picture with him and instead of just standing there he got on his knees to the child's level to take the picture. I know to some this seems insignificant but it was also pouring out that day before the hall of fame and he was in a what was probably a pretty expensive suit.

It's breath of fresh air to watch and listen to someone who exudes honesty, integrity and sincerity. No cat and mouse replies or deceptive verbage. I liked it and I find myself impressed and liking Coach Jauron..... a lot. I don't know just how good or lacking of a coach he is but one of my stronger points is reading people and this guy is a downright class act.

I don't know what really goes on within an organization with their football operations. I like to think that I know something and to speculate with my opinion and intuition but the reality is I don't know squat about it and I strongly suspect that most of us don't either. I'll admit that going into the season I had very little hope of our success and was becoming more and more anti-Jauron but seeing what has happen so far this season, and yes I do realize that it has only been two games, I'm starting to think that I just might have erred in my conviction of him.

It's not just the coach who is the end all with a team, he's just more of the face of a team, someone who is the public identity of a team and franchise. He isn't the one who is solely responsible for who's on the team. The GM is probably the one who carries the most clout in the final say in what becomes a team's personnel. Then the assistant coachs are accountable for holding up their end of responsibility also. Listen, I'm not foolish enough to think or believe that the coach holds most of the responsibility of what goes on with a team. I do still think that there isn't a ton of competency on the sidelines with the smaller aspects of a game with the nuances of clock management, play calling and decision making during a game but I think what a HC is most responsible for is the schemes and I think that Jauron is actually doing an admirable job so far this year.

I think that with Brandon being more solidified in his position, he is changing the mentality of this team with players who are good young football players and getting rid of the overpaid primadonnas. hence Coach Jauron is getting the proper players that he can develope and to be willing to execute the game plans/schemes more efficently.

This post is coming out kind of crappy and I'm not explaining it as well as when it was in my head initially but I hope that some of my thoughts transcended enough to explain my intention of this post.

PS- I actually believe that we stand more than a good chance of beating the Saints come this Sunday. Here's where the compensation may come in for always drafting all those secondary players we did in the last few years. We need McCargo/Williams/Maybin to get into that backfield and keep an awful lot of pressure on Brees. The Saints suddenly have some concerns with their RBs and I don't think their defense is gelling as much as they would have liked them to be this early into the season. We need Trent to stay upright and get the ball to our playmakers. I also think that TE Shawn Nelson just might have a much bigger game than expected and if not him then one of our TEs in addition to the Owens and Evans combo. I also wouldn't be surprised that if Josh Reed doesn't suit up for this game then Roscoe could be a very dangerous slot receiver for us in Reed's place during this particular contest. We would also need our ST returners to have huge returns and Moorman needs to bury the ball on any of his punts.

No need for hand wringing. Dick Jauron earned his rabid detractors with three seasons worth of horrible head coaching. This team was painful to watch last season by going in the 0-6 vs the AFC East and losing games at home to the Browns and 49ers. I think Jauron realized that this was his final attempt at getting it right. Only through the loud protests of media and fans alike, of him staying on as the head coach was Dick able to force himself to make significant changes like going no huddle and the last minute decision of firing Turk and promoting AVP. Being one of the first and loudest Jauron detractors and though I've always kept the criticisms to his awful coaching. He is a great guy, but not having seen the Bills in the playoffs since the MCM I really don't care if he can win the congeniality award of head coaches. I like what I've seen so far this season, but I think he forced himself to become a less conservative (meaning better) by the angry mob. Let's see what happens on Sunday.

Reality time. There are many nice guys in this world... OK, he's one of them.

However, as an NFL head coach,he's a total loser!!! Always has been, always will be.

Barak Obama is a nice guy. As president... he's a total zero.

with either assessment, you leave absolutely no room for gray area. it's not just you, but merely a reflection of where we are in this age of immediacy, so please don't take it personally, though i'm sure you just might. so i'll take no offense.

it's always one or the other. black or white. euphoria or depression. great? no: sucks!

i'd hate to live in that kind of world that lacks noble nuance, a place and time which forces us to actually have to make assessments on our own rather than knee-jerk every immediate reaction and send it out on twitter because the information beast needs to be fed. it's always thumbs up or thumbs down.

but what do i know because you can count me among the sudden few still trying to figure things out.

jw

BULLETIN: Paul Westerberg has released 6 new songs, which are out on amazon. 4 are very good, 2 so so. i am excited with this.

However, as an NFL head coach,he's a total loser!!! Always has been, always will be.

I've always said I liked DicK Jauron as a person, my problem with him has been his choice of coordinators with the Bills. Turk Schonert was a total waste of a season last year. He might have said the right things to get the job, he surely didn't show he knew what he was doing game after game.

I think the guy actually ruined JP, and was on his way to destroying Edwards confidence before he was fired. Best move Jauron has done so far IMO.

AVP actually looks like he knows how to get a QB and O line lacking confidence into a game and be productive. Great play calling so far,very impressed with AVP.

I voted for Bush, didn't vote for Obama, wish I could switch those votes around now.

with either assessment, you leave absolutely no room for gray area. it's not just you, but merely a reflection of where we are in this age of immediacy, so please don't take it personally, though i'm sure you just might. so i'll take no offense.

it's always one or the other. black or white. euphoria or depression. great? no: sucks!

i'd hate to live in that kind of world that lacks noble nuance, a place and time which forces us to actually have to make assessments on our own rather than knee-jerk every immediate reaction and send it out on twitter because the information beast needs to be fed. it's always thumbs up or thumbs down.

but what do i know because you can count me among the sudden few still trying to figure things out.

jw

John, it's abundantly clear that DJ is a very good man. The stories of him in HS illustrate this, let alone his complete inability to throw players and coaches (Turk) under the bus for any reason. But it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who's recorded 1 winning season in 8 and cannot beat playoff teams in the regular season.

I think most Bills fans realize this, but it's painfully obvious he needs a lot of talent and breaks to go his way. He's not inspiring, and I'm not referring to being a Cowher type who yells. Just someone who anticipates, makes good decisions, and doesn't draft DB's early and often in the NFL Draft. :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks for returning. I look forward to more discussions on football and other interesting topics.

Wow....I admit I haven't been a big Jauron fan either, but jeez...your absolute statements simply show how you put your emotional stamp on someone instead of letting things play out, then making an objective evaluation....Let the season play out. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

John, it's abundantly clear that DJ is a very good man. The stories of him in HS illustrate this, let alone his complete inability to throw players and coaches (Turk) under the bus for any reason. But it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who's recorded 1 winning season in 8 and cannot beat playoff teams in the regular season.

I think most Bills fans realize this, but it's painfully obvious he needs a lot of talent and breaks to go his way. He's not inspiring, and I'm not referring to being a Cowher type who yells. Just someone who anticipates, makes good decisions, and doesn't draft DB's early and often in the NFL Draft. :doh:

BTW, thanks for returning. I look forward to more discussions on football and other interesting topics.

BVet:

you make valid points, though i'll maintain that it was Jauron who fired Turk, thereby, actually throwing him under the bus, as you put it.

the contention raised in my post was in regards to the absolutes that were presented: "Total Loser!!" etc.

actually, the Lions were "Total Losers" last year as they failed to win a regular-season contest. the bills were and have been for quite some time, depending on your half-full/half-empty perspective, inconsistent or a little better than average losers under Jauron.

what truly disappoints me BVet is that you cut out the best part of my post: the Westerburg stuff. :rolleyes:

jw

I think most Bills fans realize this, but it's painfully obvious he needs a lot of talent and breaks to go his way. He's not inspiring, and I'm not referring to being a Cowher type who yells. Just someone who anticipates, makes good decisions, and doesn't draft DB's early and often in the NFL Draft. :rolleyes:

I actually think Jauron and Cowher are the same type of coaches-- players' coaches. Both guys know how to teach well, prepare their teams, and their guys respect them and play hard for them. But neither guy is a game-day genius and is neither guy is very good at making the right calls when the game is on the line.

With respect to gameday decisions, it's funny though. Cowher was just a meathead; he wasn't the brightest guy, and a lot of his game-day decisions (e.g., clock management) reflected this. Jauron, on the other hand, seems to outsmart himself, rather than playing the odds on game day, which gets him into trouble (e.g., the Losman bomb against Denver in the home opener a few years ago to ice the game; the Losman roll out against the Jets last year). I think the best game-day coaches are ones who just have an instinctive feel for it--Jauron doesn't seem to have that, being aggressive when he should be conservative, and conservative when he should be aggressive.

jw

BULLETIN: Paul Westerberg has released 6 new songs, which are out on amazon. 4 are very good, 2 so so. i am excited with this.

"Age of immediacy"??? I believe Tooth is making his judgement after considering DJs 9 year career as an NFL HC. The your response seems to somehow miss this as you wax nostalgic of a kinder, gentler day gone by.

"Immediacy"? This is how your colleagues wrote about DJ---6 years ago.

Byline: David Haugh

CHICAGO _ What the McCaskeys always will consider one of the hardest decisions they have had to make _ firing family favorite Dick Jauron as the Bears' head coach _ ultimately was an easy one for general manager Jerry Angelo. Four losing seasons in five made it so.

Byline: Terry Bannon

CHICAGO _ For five years, Dick Jauron has represented the Chicago Bears with class, earning the respect and admiration of the McCaskey family.

The feelings the Bears' owners have for their coach should not be underrated. But they go only so far.

Everybody hates to fire Dick, even the doting McCaskeys---but they got over it. Eevn when they had to pay out his remaining contract.

There's nothing noble about chosing mediocrity, jw.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"Age of immediacy"??? I believe Tooth is making his judgement after considering DJs 9 year career as an NFL HC. The your response seems to somehow miss this as you wax nostalgic of a kinder, gentler day gone by.

"Immediacy"? This is how your colleagues wrote about DJ---6 years ago.

Everybody hates to fire Dick, even the doting McCaskeys---but they got over it. Eevn when they had to pay out his remaining contract.

There's nothing noble about chosing mediocrity, jw.

Mr. WEO, in fear or continuing to repeat my point, my issue was with Sir Tooth's absolutely characterizations towards Jauron and Obama. i have not gone any further than that. and my point toward the age of immediacy is that more often than not, we seem to need to address the fast-food-junkie craving by making absolute assertions that are questionable at best and wrong at worst.

mediocrity is not a bad term based on Jauron's record. total loser, well ... that's inaccurate.

and even as big of a Replacements/Paul Westerberg fan as i am, i'm not going to call this new release as His best. it's good, though.

jw

No need for hand wringing. Dick Jauron earned his rabid detractors with three seasons worth of horrible head coaching. This team was painful to watch last season by going in the 0-6 vs the AFC East and losing games at home to the Browns and 49ers. I think Jauron realized that this was his final attempt at getting it right. Only through the loud protests of media and fans alike, of him staying on as the head coach was Dick able to force himself to make significant changes like going no huddle and the last minute decision of firing Turk and promoting AVP. Being one of the first and loudest Jauron detractors and though I've always kept the criticisms to his awful coaching. He is a great guy, but not having seen the Bills in the playoffs since the MCM I really don't care if he can win the congeniality award of head coaches. I like what I've seen so far this season, but I think he forced himself to become a less conservative (meaning better) by the angry mob. Let's see what happens on Sunday.

I'm sorry but saying 3 years of horrible coaching just shows your biased. 2 of those seasons we started by a guy who couldn't get a NFL job after being a 1st round pick. 2007, we were decimated by injuries and still were at 7-6 with a big game against Cleveland. Additionally, he managed to have this team regroup after 3 heartbreaking MNF losses. The only year that could be considered bad is 2008 and Edwards' play is the major reason for the drop.

Face it. You have an agenda. But Jauron was never as bad of a coach as you and your rat pack make him out to be. Lack of talent and a legit NFL Qb were the major problems with the Bills. But you're probably the same genius who ran Mularkey and Gilbride out of town. When all else fails, blame the coach.

Ironically this pretty much describes how many feel about you as a poster. You might be a nice guy in real life but as a poster you''re a complete loser and a total zero.

Mr. WEO, in fear or continuing to repeat my point, my issue was with Sir Tooth's absolutely characterizations towards Jauron and Obama. i have not gone any further than that. and my point toward the age of immediacy is that more often than not, we seem to need to address the fast-food-junkie craving by making absolute assertions that are questionable at best and wrong at worst.

mediocrity is not a bad term based on Jauron's record. total loser, well ... that's inaccurate.

and even as big of a Replacements/Paul Westerberg fan as i am, i'm not going to call this new release as His best. it's good, though.

jw

I don't believe he is making a judgement of DJ's character (let's stipulate that he is unversally thought of as a great human being).

Winning or losing--it is an absolute world in pro sports, no denying this. Why would it be difficult (or even "questionable, at best") for Tooth to use this binary system that exists to chose "loser", as winner would not be accurate.

I'm not sure that Jauron's character has ever been called into question, even by his biggest detractors. In fact, I think most usually go out of the way to include some kind of "he's a nice person" disclaimer whenever they criticize him, almost as though they want to be 100% certain that the harsh professional criticism doesn't reflect on his personal character.

As to his coaching acumen, the only visible metrics we have (as fans) is how successful he is at game management and his overall W/L, and neither are very good. Maybe he's great at something we don't see often - film study, office-related matters, TETRIS - but I'm not sure there would be a mad competition to sign him if we let him go. He'd probably land somewhere as some type of coordinator or position coach, for the primary reason that there is a massive amount of coaching inertia in the NFL. Unless you pull a Turk on the way out - once you're in, you're pretty much in. But sure - I think he seems like he'd be a great neighbor, or a nice guy to invite along to complete your foursome on the first tee.

I don't believe he is making a judgement of DJ's character (let's stipulate that he is unversally thought of as a great human being).

Winning or losing--it is an absolute world in pro sports, no denying this. Why would it be difficult (or even "questionable, at best") for Tooth to use this binary system that exists to chose "loser", as winner would not be accurate.

i think you overlook the word "total."

that said, Tooth's blunt response takes away from some valid points raised by the original poster, who went out on a bit of a limb here in going against the grain of what some -- many? -- on this board truly and absolutely believe. the problem then becomes is the blunt response saps the momentum of the discussion of this thread, and i guess i'm contributing to it by in some ways defending the OP by questioning Tooth's response.

and of course, as in the past, i am the one who is attacked because i chose to humbly put my pithy two cents in. but what are you gonna do.

i maintain that The Replacements remain one of most influential rock bands to come out of North America, and Westerberg's latest release continues to show that he -- unlike the blather Springsteen released earlier this year -- remains relevant and progressive.

jw