I just watched Coach Jauron's PC from today.

Tipster19

You'd think he was a professional writer or something. :lol:

And I have to admit that when I read murra's post, I thought, "Uh-oh, here we go" even before I saw that jw had already responded ...

hey, kept it clean. and that was a one-taker, thus the dropped words and "who" supposed to be "how." but i'll leave it unedited for posterity. a week in which the world of music has been righted by a Westerberg release shall go unspoilt. :rolleyes:

jw

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all fans I get incredibly frustrated with the close losses and it is hard not to blame it on coaching. But in the end, I ask you to look at the Bills roster the last 3 years and tell me that they were better than 7 - 9 teams. We have not had one legitimate pro bowl player beyond Jason Peters in 2006. Oh excuse me, Moorman. Why should have this team made the playoffs? What magic should Jauron pulled off? Have they ever not played hard? Have you ever heard divisiveness?

Go to any teams fan board and you will find a common theme, if the team loses the coach and the quarterback suck. And that is usually the level of sophistication of the discourse.

So, I ask you Jauron-haters. tell me why this team, with the roster he had to work with, should be better than the record he has produced?

No need for hand wringing. Dick Jauron earned his rabid detractors with three seasons worth of horrible head coaching. This team was painful to watch last season by going in the 0-6 vs the AFC East and losing games at home to the Browns and 49ers. I think Jauron realized that this was his final attempt at getting it right. Only through the loud protests of media and fans alike, of him staying on as the head coach was Dick able to force himself to make significant changes like going no huddle and the last minute decision of firing Turk and promoting AVP. Being one of the first and loudest Jauron detractors and though I've always kept the criticisms to his awful coaching. He is a great guy, but not having seen the Bills in the playoffs since the MCM I really don't care if he can win the congeniality award of head coaches. I like what I've seen so far this season, but I think he forced himself to become a less conservative (meaning better) by the angry mob. Let's see what happens on Sunday.

Like all fans I get incredibly frustrated with the close losses and it is hard not to blame it on coaching. But in the end, I ask you to look at the Bills roster the last 3 years and tell me that they were better than 7 - 9 teams. We have not had one legitimate pro bowl player beyond Jason Peters in 2006. Oh excuse me, Moorman. Why should have this team made the playoffs? What magic should Jauron pulled off? Have they ever not played hard? Have you ever heard divisiveness?

Go to any teams fan board and you will find a common theme, if the team loses the coach and the quarterback suck. And that is usually the level of sophistication of the discourse.

So, I ask you Jauron-haters. tell me why this team, with the roster he had to work with, should be better than the record he has produced?

Every team has flaws. The difference between a playoff team and a team that is 7-9 is not an overwhelming deficiency in talent. Every year, there are teams that turn it around and get better. In fact, it is defying the odds to remain mediocre for so long.

This team went 11-5 last year: Pennington, Brown, Polite, Camarillo, Ginn, Fasano, Long, Smiley, Satele, Ndukwe, Carey, Langford, Ferguson, Holiday, Roth, Crowder, Ayodele, Porter, Allen, Goodman, Bell, and Hill. That is not a star studded lineup by any stretch.

Finally, it is a easier to become a star when you play on a good team that wins a lot of games and is thus on national TV most of the time. You're not going to see many Detriot Lions being regarded as good players, even if they are.

Every team has flaws. The difference between a playoff team and a team that is 7-9 is not an overwhelming deficiency in talent. Every year, there are teams that turn it around and get better. In fact, it is defying the odds to remain mediocre for so long.

This team went 11-5 last year: Pennington, Brown, Polite, Camarillo, Ginn, Fasano, Long, Smiley, Satele, Ndukwe, Carey, Langford, Ferguson, Holiday, Roth, Crowder, Ayodele, Porter, Allen, Goodman, Bell, and Hill. That is not a star studded lineup by any stretch.

Finally, it is a easier to become a star when you play on a good team that wins a lot of games and is thus on national TV most of the time. You're not going to see many Detriot Lions being regarded as good players, even if they are.

Ok. Perfect example. If Joey Porter had been on the outside instead of Keith Ellison, do you think one or two games may have been turned around? Possibly. I am not buying that the Lions were full of pro bowlers who got undercoached. They were just less talented. Bellicek was a failure with the Browns. Levy was a failure with the Chiefs. Gibbs was a failure the second time around with the Redskins. Players make coaches more often than coaches make players.

Thanks for making my point. As weak as his arm is, Chadwick has led teams to the playoffs 4 times.

Losman killed Jauron's first 2 years as a Bills' head coach. I'm on record there will be no excuses this year because Trent Edwards is the only legit NFL starting QB DJ has ever had.

Ok. Perfect example. If Joey Porter had been on the outside instead of Keith Ellison, do you think one or two games may have been turned around? Possibly. I am not buying that the Lions were full of pro bowlers who got undercoached. They were just less talented. Bellicek was a failure with the Browns. Levy was a failure with the Chiefs. Gibbs was a failure the second time around with the Redskins. Players make coaches more often than coaches make players.

Nah. You need both.

outside of Beliceck I cann ot think of a single NFL head coach who would not fall into the good man catagory.

So what?

The catagory we need to study is the win loss catagory.

And there, Dicky is not so nice.

But lets give the Bills the benefit of the doubt they are playing .500 ball, better than expectation.

Nah. You need both.

This is one of those cases where you're both right.

When the need to get rid of Turk -- for the good of the team, Jauron's own job security, or both, depending on your point of view -- finally outweighed his well-known loyalty to his assistants, DJ dropped the hammer. A different head coach wouldn't have waited so long, I think, trying to make it work. Ditto for trying to shove the oversized Langston Walker into the hole at LT. "Comfort zone," status quo, or belief in the men on his roster and coaching staff (when perhaps some of that trust hasn't been fully earned)? The reason doesn't matter, I suppose, but I like the idea that the Bills are finally acting instead of reacting. I just continue to wish that they'd felt confident enough to make the AVP and Bell moves earlier, to give Jauron's "cohesion" (another favorite buzzword) more time to set.

i can't believe i overlooked this post, Lori, because i think you hit this on the head in many ways with one slight exception. i think Bell's emergence was to some degree anticipated, but not this quickly. i still think they rushed DBell into the job a little too quickly for certain reasons that i won't get into becuase of mere speculation on my part.

that said, the action/reaction line is astute.

jw

I disagree, Coaching is everything in my opinion,you could field the greatest players and still lose every game if they are not coached properly. The super bowl trophy is named after a coach for a reason, not a player,owner or simply named the NFL trophy.

Although the Bills defense might have been helped somewhat by Joey Porter, the offense would have still suffered by some horrible play calls. I feel that if Jauron had fired Turk Schonert prior to the 08 season and AVP was calling the plays last season, the Bills would have won at least 3-4 more games IMO.

For some reason I get the feeling that I'm about the only one that actually realizes the importance and impact of the firing of Schonert had on this team, I rejoiced when I heard that bit of news. Bad coaches can screw up a team just as easily as bad players.

[/b]

I disagree, Coaching is everything in my opinion,you could field the greatest players and still lose every game if they are not coached properly. The super bowl trophy is named after a coach for a reason, not a player,owner or simply named the NFL trophy.

Although the Bills defense might have been helped somewhat by Joey Porter, the offense would have still suffered by some horrible play calls. I feel that if Jauron had fired Turk Schonert prior to the 08 season and AVP was calling the plays last season, the Bills would have won at least 3-4 more games IMO.

For some reason I get the feeling that I'm about the only one that actually realizes the importance and impact of the firing of Schonert had on this team, I rejoiced when I heard that bit of news. Bad coaches can screw up a team just as easily as bad players.

Just like that loser Kevin Gilbride. The "it must be the coach" crowd wanted his head on a stick. What is he doing now?

Just like that loser Kevin Gilbride. The "it must be the coach" crowd wanted his head on a stick. What is he doing now?

Comparing Kevin Gilbride to Turk Schonert is an apples to oranges comparison.

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Enters his second season as the offensive coordinator, having been promoted to the position in January 2008...his offense in ’08 ranked second in the NFL in percentage of first down plays of 4+ yards (51.3%)…the Bills’ offense held the time of possession in 10 of the 16 games while five Bills had at least 30 receptions in ’08, the first time in team history since 2002…his offense also had 10 players with at least one TD reception, which tied for third most in NFL in 2008…in 2007 as QB coach, oversaw the development of rookie QB Trent Edwards who produced five wins – the second-best total by a Bills rookie QB in team history…Edwards also finished the season ranked second in completions, attempts, passing yards and touchdown passes among Bills rookies…was the most productive rookie passer in the NFL in 2007 and produced more passing yards since the common draft began in 1967 than any QB drafted in the third round in his rookie season…in 2006, directed QB J.P. Losman as he posted career high numbers with 3,051 yards, 268 completions, 429 attempts, a 62.47 completion percentage, 19 TDs and an 84.9 passer rating and was particularly effective in the final nine games of the season when he ranked 2nd in the NFL with a 5.6 TD percentage in that span…returned to Buffalo to coach the quarterbacks after holding the same position with the New Orleans Saints in 2005…a 24-year veteran of both coaching and playing the quarterback position in the NFL, Schonert served in the quarterbacks coach capacity with the New York Giants staff in 2003 and held the same position for the Carolina Panthers in 2001…directed the passers for the Buffalo Bills from 1998-2000 and opened his career as quarterbacks coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1992-95.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/t...bc-738b89634a77

Note the dates: He was out of the NFL in 96,97,02,04 and other than Buffalo and Tampa (where he worked for Sam Wyche) never lasted more than 1 year in other positions.

Kevin Gilbride is in his third full season as the Giants' offensive coordinator after serving the previous three years as the team's quarterbacks coach. Gilbride assumed play-calling duties from former coordinator John Hufnagel prior to the 2006 regular season finale in Washington.

With Gilbride devising game plans and calling plays, the Giants' offense compiled many impressive numbers during the 2008 season. The Giants finished the season with 427 points and 338 first downs, both the second-highest totals in franchise history. They scored 448 points in 1963 and had 356 first downs in 1985. The Giants scored at least 30 points seven times during the season - including four

games in a row from Nov. 2-30 - their highest total of 30-point games since 1963, when they had 10.

The Giants rushed for NFL-leading and franchise record numbers of 2,518 yards and 5.0 yards per carry. The previous records were 2,451 yards in 1985 and 4.7 yards an attempt in 2005 and 2006. The Giants rushed for 301 yards in an overtime victory over Carolina on Dec. 21 that clinched home field advantage throughout the postseason. It was the fifth-highest total in team history and their highest total in 49 years.

Brandon Jacobs rushed for 1,089 yards (despite missing three games with a knee injury) and Derrick Ward ran for 1,025 to the fourth pair of backs from the same team - and the fifth set of teammates - to run for at least 1,000 yards in the same season.

Overall, the offense was ranked seventh in the NFL with an average of 355.9 yards a game, almost 25 yards more than the unit's 2007 average.

Gilbride has worked closely with Eli Manning throughout the quarterback's career. In 2008, Manning Manning threw for 3,238 yards and 21 touchdowns to become the first Giants quarterback to throw for more than 3,000 yards in four consecutive seasons and the first to throw at least 20 touchdown passes four years in a row. Manning is one of four quarterbacks to throw for at least 3,000 yards every season from 2005-08. The others are Drew Brees, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning. He is one of three quarterbacks with at least 20 touchdown passes in each of the last four seasons, joining Brees and Peyton Manning.

Gilbride joined the Giants as the team's quarterbacks coach on Jan. 26, 2004. He was reunited with Tom Coughlin, for whom he worked as the Jacksonville Jaguars' first offensive coordinator in 1995 and 96. Gilbride has also coordinated offenses for the Houston Oilers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills. The 2009 season is Gilbride's 35th in coaching and 20th in the National Football League.

As quarterbacks coach, Gilbride was at the forefront of the development of Manning, the No. 1 selection in the 2004 NFL Draft. In 2005, under Gilbride's guidance, Manning led the Giants to the NFC East title while throwing 557 passes, the third-highest total in the league and the second-highest total in team history. Manning's 294 completions tied for ninth in the NFL and placed him fourth on the Giants' single-season list. His 3,762 yards were fifth in the NFL and fifth on the franchise's single-season list. Manning threw 24 touchdown passes, the most by a Giant since Fran Tarkenton had 29 in 1967.

In 2006, Gilbride's last as quarterbacks coach, Manning threw 522 passes, the sixth-highest total in Giants history. He completed 301 of those throws to become just the second quarterback in franchise history to top 300 completions in a season. Manning threw 24 touchdown passes, matching his 2005 total and leaving him tied for fourth in the NFL with St. Louis Pro Bowler Marc Bulger. Manning became the first Giants quarterback to throw at least 20 touchdown passes in consecutive seasons since Phil Simms did it three years in a row from 1984-86.

Manning's development under Gilbride became evident in the latter part of the quarterback's rookie season in 2004. In the last three games of the year, Manning completed 53 of 87 passes (61 percent) for 527 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions. In the season-ending victory over Dallas, Manning threw three touchdown passes and led a 66-yard drive in the final two minutes for the winning score.

Prior to joining the Giants, Gilbride spent two years as the Bills' offensive coordinator. In his first season in Buffalo, the Bills set seven offensive team records, including most net passing yards (3,995). Quarterback Drew Bledsoe set 10 team records. That year, Buffalo had the fifth-best passing offense in the NFL and was 11th overall while averaging 23.7 points, 22.2 first downs, and 349.4 yards per game. That offense featured the franchise's first 4,000-yard passer in Bledsoe, two 1,200-yard receivers (Eric Moulds and Peerless Price) and a 1,400-yard rusher (Travis Henry).

Gilbride entered the NFL as the quarterbacks coach of the Oilers in 1989. He was promoted to offensive coordinator from 1990-93 and then to assistant head coach/offense in 1994. Houston ranked first in the NFL in passing yards in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993. The Oilers also ranked first in the league in total offense in 1990, second in 1991, third in 1992 and second in 1993.

Gilbride's first stint with Coughlin began in 1995, when Gilbride took over as the offensive coordinator of the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars. The following year, the Jaguars led the NFL with 259.7 passing yards per game and were second in total offense with 360.2 yards per contest, a performance that helped Jacksonville to the AFC Championship Game in just its second year of existence.

After two years in Jacksonville, Gilbride was named the 10th head coach in San Diego Chargers history on Jan. 19, 1997 and posted a 6-16 record over the course of the 1997-98 seasons. He spent the 1999 and 2000 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2001, Gilbride was an analyst with ESPN.

http://www.giants.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=5

He failed as a HC in San Diego, but he's been a steady and fairly prolific OC over a ~20 year NFL career (he was out of the NFL for 1 year).

Gilbride's problem in Buffalo wasn't that he couldn't coach. It was that the front office decided to blow up an offense that was statistically amongst the best Buffalo ever had.

To spell it out clearly, this has been Buffalo's pattern throughout the last decade. They are just a revolving door for players and coaches and are continuously treading water and trying to backfill positions with rookies players and/or new coaches while they sign a big name player like Spikes, Bledsoe, Stroud, or Owens to keep fans buying.

It's breath of fresh air to watch and listen to someone who exudes honesty, integrity and sincerity. No cat and mouse replies or deceptive verbage. I liked it and I find myself impressed and liking Coach Jauron..... a lot. I don't know just how good or lacking of a coach he is but one of my stronger points is reading people and this guy is a downright class act.

Yeah, Tipster19, remind me to put you on ignore. :censored: