I just watched Coach Jauron's PC from today.

Tipster19

It seems to me that Dick Jauron's biggest issue as a coach has been that fact that he gets too conservative and the team goes into a shell during games.

Just like Coughlin in NY, I think that the being on the hot seat has made him get out of his comfort zone. Hiring AVP as offensive coordinator has helped a lot. Hiring TO. Did you see him get emotional about 4th and short? They went for it on fourth down. Using the no-huddle will help them in two minute drills. The Bills look a lot better this year.

Dick Jauron has always been good at getting his players to play at a high level.

I definitely agree with Wilson that one of the biggest problems for the Bills has been a lack of talent. The whole thread about the early 90s teams versus the current team demonstrates that.

This. We spent the offseason talking about "continuity," when continuity on offense meant scoring six points -- TOTAL -- in the last three home games. (Well, two home games and the debacle in Toronto.) Handing the car keys to AVP is looking like an inspired move right now ... but the friction between Jauron and Schonert couldn't have just started this summer, could it? Not if there's truth to the reports of their screaming match following the disaster in the Meadowswamp.

When the need to get rid of Turk -- for the good of the team, Jauron's own job security, or both, depending on your point of view -- finally outweighed his well-known loyalty to his assistants, DJ dropped the hammer. A different head coach wouldn't have waited so long, I think, trying to make it work. Ditto for trying to shove the oversized Langston Walker into the hole at LT. "Comfort zone," status quo, or belief in the men on his roster and coaching staff (when perhaps some of that trust hasn't been fully earned)? The reason doesn't matter, I suppose, but I like the idea that the Bills are finally acting instead of reacting. I just continue to wish that they'd felt confident enough to make the AVP and Bell moves earlier, to give Jauron's "cohesion" (another favorite buzzword) more time to set.

And on a different note, I'll cast my lot with the esteemed Mr. Wawrow in detesting absolute statements.

Also, the Obama/Bush stuff has no place in this thread. PPP is thataway.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this has something to do with it?

This was written and posted on Sept 25 08

The national debt was about $5.7 trillion when Bush took office in January 2001. Today, after almost eight years and a couple of wars, the debt has risen to about $9.7 trillion.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/29726059.html

The max limit on the ND WAS 10.6 Trillion in 08, it is now at 11.4 Trillion and clicking at 3.88 million a day.The National Debt has continued to increase an average of $3.88 billion per day since September 28, 2007!

Written and posted where? I'm a "rising tide floats all boats" knd of guy. A good economy will take care of our debt. Stimulus money to fund such liberal pet projects as The National Endowment for the Arts isn't going to do anything but add to our debt. More misguided government regulation isn't going to help us. Government intervention is what started this whole mess in the first place. Funding ACORN isn't going to help this economy. You can blame alot on Bush, but do you actually like the direction this country is going in now?

This. We spent the offseason talking about "continuity," when continuity on offense meant scoring six points -- TOTAL -- in the last three home games. (Well, two home games and the debacle in Toronto.) Handing the car keys to AVP is looking like an inspired move right now ... but the friction between Jauron and Schonert couldn't have just started this summer, could it? Not if there's truth to the reports of their screaming match following the disaster in the Meadowswamp.

When the need to get rid of Turk -- for the good of the team, Jauron's own job security, or both, depending on your point of view -- finally outweighed his well-known loyalty to his assistants, DJ dropped the hammer. A different head coach wouldn't have waited so long, I think, trying to make it work. Ditto for trying to shove the oversized Langston Walker into the hole at LT. "Comfort zone," status quo, or belief in the men on his roster and coaching staff (when perhaps some of that trust hasn't been fully earned)? The reason doesn't matter, I suppose, but I like the idea that the Bills are finally acting instead of reacting. I just continue to wish that they'd felt confident enough to make the AVP and Bell moves earlier, to give Jauron's "cohesion" (another favorite buzzword) more time to set.

And on a different note, I'll cast my lot with the esteemed Mr. Wawrow in detesting absolute statements.

Players tuned out Coughlin because he was an a**hole, not because he was clueless as a tactititon.

Las Vegas is making book that the Bills will not win 7 games this season, and everybody seems to be taking the under. Should the Bills finish with a winning record or actually attain a playoff spot, it will surprise most of the population.

That said, I think the Bills have shown marked improvement since preseason and the firing of Schonert. It remains to be seen on what they can accomplish before the bye week. I made a post about the Bills winning 2 games before the bye week and Edwards getting carried off the field by week four.

That was all before AVP took over as the Bills OC and the play calling changed dramatically , I'm now almost optimistic about the Bills winning more the 7 games this season. Although, I'll reserve judgment until they actually win a divisional game.

Lori, you are right. I didn't start it but should have ignored it instead of responding.

Players tuned out Coughlin because he was an a**hole, not because he was clueless as a tactititon.

The point is, he changed. This time last season, I don't think Jauron would have dumped Schonert. And the end result seems to be positive, yes?

Yes, I do still fear Jauron's own game-management skills. Guess the answer is to get far enough ahead of other teams so we don't have to worry about that.

Apart from the specific changes DJ made such as replacing Schonert and getting rid of Walker, Dockery etc., I have sensed something else about Jauron. In the two games this season, I surely saw emotion, a certain (dare I say it ?) swagger and smartness. Some decisions (going for it on 4th and 2) are not what we had come to expect from DJ.

So in all, I may be imagining it, but DJ is appearing a bit more confident and acting more aggressively than in the past 3 years.

WOW, 1billsfan, you hold some serious influence within the Bills organization, especially considering you live in the Tampa area. Are you part of the "inner circle"?

I wish. :lol:

BTW I live in New Jersey, I had the misfortune of watching that fiasco of a loss to the Jets from the first row last year.

I've supported Jauron from the beginning although I admit my support for him had started to wane in the last few weeks of the preseason.

As for him being a good man, that's always been a given. But in the results-oriented business of the NFL, it doesn't mean much at all.

Charlie Brown was a good man too. And yet he always fell for that trick where Lucy pulled the ball away from him at the last second. All things being equal I'd want a good man coaching our team. But if I could have a coach who was a jerk but won two more games each year? Hmmm.

The point is, he changed. This time last season, I don't think Jauron would have dumped Schonert. And the end result seems to be positive, yes?

Yes, I do still fear Jauron's own game-management skills. Guess the answer is to get far enough ahead of other teams so we don't have to worry about that.

I want Jauron gone yesterday. I still do. The guy has a proven track record of out and out losing and game-day bungling. He's a good man, but they day he gets fired can't come soon enough, because he'll never get us over the hump. I also firmly believe he doesn't put players in the proper positions to have the most success (see: CBs playing 1/4 mile off the LOS).

While I'd like to think this season might be different, the first 2 games have been nothing but typical jauron. Beat a bad team that you should beat, and somehow find a way to lose against a team better than you. That trend has to stop, but its Dick's MO. The first real test for DJ comes in week 4 against the fish. Its a road divisional game against a (thusfar perceived) inferior opponent. Good/rising teams find ways to win that game. Typical jauron finds a way to lose that one. So we'll see what happens.

There's no logical reason why this team shouldn't be 3-2 minimum after the next 3 games. If we drop 2 of the next 3, its a big sign that we're in for another season of typical 7-9 jauron.

I want Jauron gone yesterday. I still do. The guy has a proven track record of out and out losing and game-day bungling. He's a good man, but they day he gets fired can't come soon enough, because he'll never get us over the hump. I also firmly believe he doesn't put players in the proper positions to have the most success (see: CBs playing 1/4 mile off the LOS).

While I'd like to think this season might be different, the first 2 games have been nothing but typical jauron. Beat a bad team that you should beat, and somehow find a way to lose against a team better than you. That trend has to stop, but its Dick's MO. The first real test for DJ comes in week 4 against the fish. Its a road divisional game against a (thusfar perceived) inferior opponent. Good/rising teams find ways to win that game. Typical jauron finds a way to lose that one. So we'll see what happens.

There's no logical reason why this team shouldn't be 3-2 minimum after the next 3 games. If we drop 2 of the next 3, its a big sign that we're in for another season of typical 7-9 jauron.

And if we're 4-1 headed to New Jersey to face the Jets? What will that portend?

There is no reason not to see Jauron as a very good man. There is also no reason to see him as a coach that can lead an NFL team to a playoff victory.

He is a nice man who hasn't been that great of a coach. But with AVP as OC, the new talent on the team, I'm going to give him a shot to get us a playoff win this year. OK, the first game they should have told McKelvin to take the ball out (to run off time to the 2 min. warning) but then go down at the first contact, protecting the ball. But isn't that more Bobby April, who most agree is a great coach?

Anyway, I'm rooting for DJ big time this year to prove my prior thinking wrong, because I'm rooting big time for the Bills to finally get us back to the playoffs. And with Brandon, I have to like most of his moves this year, including the JP trade.

Charlie Brown was a good man too. And yet he always fell for that trick where Lucy pulled the ball away from him at the last second. All things being equal I'd want a good man coaching our team. But if I could have a coach who was a jerk but won two more games each year? Hmmm.

Didn't y'all wish that just once, old Charlie Brown would run towards the ball, change direction slightly, and just kick Lucy's vag wide open. That'd show her.