Not That This Had Relevance To The Outcome

H2o

On the second to last drive, in the hurry up offense, Brady completed a pass that the officials ruled a 1st down. The screen showed that they were clearly atleast a half yard short with the system they use to show the ball and yardage to the 1st. Am I the only one who noticed that?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could have made a gigantic difference. IIRC, it would have been 3rd and 1+ (Welker was more than a yard short, truly a bizarre call). BB is too smart to go downfield in that situation as an incompletion would leave the Pats* with a game-on-the-line 4th down. He would have in all likelihood run the ball or gone with a conservative pass to pick up the first there. It would have basically set the drive back a play and ten seconds. They probably don't score before the two minute warning and they probably are forced to go for the onsides kick.

Simply making the right call would have substantially increased the odds of a victory since an onsides kick is such a low percentage play. But we should have won regardless.

On the second to last drive, in the hurry up offense, Brady completed a pass that the officials ruled a 1st down. The screen showed that they were clearly atleast a half yard short with the system they use to show the ball and yardage to the 1st. Am I the only one who noticed that?

IIR the official ran out at the last minute and moved the ball at least a half yard forward. Jaws said something like "that's a very fortuitous spot for the Patriots". I got a couple of calls from friends of mine who are not Bills fans saying, "man, you guys are getting screwed."

That was the 4th one on the night.

Most of those ridiculous spots came from the line judge wearing #100.

Brad Riter has a screenshot of that play on Facebook. Welker's elbow is on the hashmark at the 26, with everything else behind it. I'll copy what I posted there:

From the gamebook: 2-10-BUF 35 (2:38) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to W.Welker to BUF 25 for 10 yards (R.Corner).

For statistic-calculating purposes, the ball would have had to be completely over the hashmark at the 36 for it to be considered first-and-10 at the 35. In that picture, the ball is not completely over the 26, so there's no possible way that completion was good for a full 10 yards.

Third down.